• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Experience with AAA

I was toying with the idea of getting AAA for piece of mind while traveling. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them positive of negative they'd like to share. My wife primarily drives our minivan which is a 2011 with 45k on the clock so she is not breaking down every day.

My wife and I have it (with "premium" option for ~150 miles of free towing) for ~10 years and it pays for itself as we seem to have some sort of immobilizing issue at least once a year.
I stipulate a "roll-back" for my LOW cars and (although it might take 45 minutes) the service has been good/great. The local contractor (tow operator) is a wild card BUT I often say (on the initial phone call) that I'm willing to wait for one of their most reputable contractors.

I use it at least once a year and wouldn't be without it. I also have the premium to get the extra tow mileage because of the amount of tracking I do. I also drive up to 50,000 miles per year and have had my share of pothole damage with multiple instances of double blowouts. I can change a tire myself but nobody carries two spare tires so AAA has been invaluable. And every now and then I have a brain fry and leave an interior light on during a subzero day and need a jump.

I have Premier membership (all 3 drivers in my family are covered - there are ways to get around this), again for the extra tow distance although (knock on wood) I haven't had to use a tow from a track event.

I have used it for jump starts (there is a limit of how many jumps you can get a year - same with tows), lock outs and spare tire changes.

Keep in mind that during winter and specially after a heavy snowfall, the wait time can be considerable.

I have used it more often for the tour books that you can get at a local AAA office or have mailed to you plus they sometimes have good deals on travel gear at their stores.

I admit I haven't had to rely on AAA assistance the past few years but it is indeed peace of mind.

Last edited:
Most if not all AAA offices have DMV services, way better than having to deal with the DMV for most of the services offered.

the hotel savings alone make it worthwhile

25+ year member here. They've saved my ass many times. The DMV services are great -- much quicker and nicer than the "real" DMV. Hotel savings usually pay for the cost of membership, so for frequent travelers it's basically free. And... free maps!

My wife and I have it (with "premium" option for ~150 miles of free towing) for ~10 years and it pays for itself as we seem to have some sort of immobilizing issue at least once a year.
I stipulate a "roll-back" for my LOW cars and (although it might take 45 minutes) the service has been good/great. The local contractor (tow operator) is a wild card BUT I often say (on the initial phone call) that I'm willing to wait for one of their most reputable contractors.

THIS!

The card pays for itself every year, as my family also uses the road service once or twice a year. One tow would probably cost more than the annual membership. Plus, it gives you discounts on hotels and other places.

I used the DMV services for the first time to register my NSX, and that one experience made the membership worth it for the year. Two minute wait, extremely friendly, and ten minutes from the couple I bought the car from.

I've had my membership ever since I got my license, and don't quite understand why someone would drive without it.

I have only great things to say about AAA.

I have the AAA+ membership including RV and Motorcycle coverage and wouldnt be without it.

On the way to the river last year we had a blowout on the boat trailer...I always carry a spare and tools...well my bottle jack was out of oil and I couldnt get the trailer jacked up so I called AAA and they dispatched someone locally in 29 Palms. By the time the tow truck arrived a thunderstorm rolled through and a flash flood came down the road and the right side of my truck and trailer sunk into the mud...so regardless if I was able to change the tire I was in need of a tow. When the guy showed up he was surprised to see my rig leaned over in the mud...he was able to change the tire and pulled me out of the muck...we were very gratefull for that!

Blowout.jpg

I Have AAA, because my previous job was putting me on the road for 6,000 miles per month. We kept it, because my wife is now traveling back and forth 4-5 hrs to bring the kids to visit grandparents. Every single year I have had it, it has paid for itself, either between my wife locking herself out of her Yukon (more than one occasion) or me having vehicles towed (when I buy them - the just have to be on the street ;) or if I've had vehicle problems. I even used it one time when I was out of state and my wife brought the dog out front to pee - and my 2.5 yr old locked her out of the house. Had them unlock her yukon so she could open the garage and get in.

The premium membership pays for itself and if you travel regularly, the discount at hotels is nice. The part of the world I am in, chances are you need the longer tow at some time once per year.

I've had AAA Premier for a long time and just had to use for a tow the first time. I was meeting a prospective/new owner to check out a NSX for him and a coolant hose busted on my car. I was impressed with the level of expertise with the driver. He got my car on the flat bed without a hitch and my Lotus is much lower than my NSX was.

IMG_2425.jpg

Most if not all AAA offices have DMV services, way better than having to deal with the DMV for most of the services offered.

+1. That's the primary reason why I joined AAA. Always in and out in 5 to 10 minutes for DMV transactions. I also have the AAA plus for those extra miles, and have used the tow services several times a year it seems. I've also bought new used cars this way when a friend wasn't available to help. Buy the new car and drive it home, while the other car I came in gets towed home. I love AAA and couldn't imagine not having them.

I've had AAA for years. In fact, I just used them this past Sunday when I had a blow out on the NSX while on my way back from NSteXPO. The old spares on our NSXs are worthless to use. I just requested a good flatbed and advised them that my car sits very low. A very new flatbed arrived and loaded my car without scuffing the lower lip. It's well worth the annual dues.

My AAA Plus just saved me last week :frown:

IMG_9004.JPG

Just looked at my card... I've been a member for 28 years :)

My AAA Plus just saved me last week :frown:

IMG_9004.JPG

Thats a bummer, hope it isn't serious!

If you have a smartphone, you don't need AAA.
In the last 5 years, I've needed 2-3 tows(not the NSX) and locked my keys in my car once.
What I did was simply turn on my GPS, search for the closest tow truck shop(or locksmith), glanced at the ratings to make sure they're not bad, and call them.
Far faster than what AAA would accomplish I would think.
And cost me nothing per month.

If you have a smartphone, you don't need AAA.
In the last 5 years, I've needed 2-3 tows(not the NSX) and locked my keys in my car once.
What I did was simply turn on my GPS, search for the closest tow truck shop(or locksmith), glanced at the ratings to make sure they're not bad, and call them.
Far faster than what AAA would accomplish I would think.
And cost me nothing per month.

You got towed for free?

AAA doesn't just call the tow place, they pay for it too.

50+ year member and couldn't be happier. Great service, nice people.

If you have a smartphone, you don't need AAA.In the last 5 years, I've needed 2-3 tows(not the NSX) and locked my keys in my car once.What I did was simply turn on my GPS, search for the closest tow truck shop(or locksmith), glanced at the ratings to make sure they're not bad, and call them.Far faster than what AAA would accomplish I would think. And cost me nothing per month.
AAA charges an annual fee. The Premier Membership is $105/yr. And it's less than the tow in many cases. Then when you add the free travel services and discounts, it's damn good deal.

25+ year member here. They've saved my ass many times. The DMV services are great -- much quicker and nicer than the "real" DMV. Hotel savings usually pay for the cost of membership, so for frequent travelers it's basically free. And... free maps!

Hear hear, agree with Flamino 100%. Got hotel discounts several times that paid for the membership. Just tonight my nephew accidentally drained the battery in my Accord. Workers in Home Depot couldn't help with a jump and I didn't want to bother any Friday shoppers heading home after work. Quick 1-800 call and 15 minutes later, jumped and good to go, no charge other than a tip to the great wrecker driver who was way quicker than expected. Planning to be a member for life especially since I like to hold onto cars for more than 100k miles.

Best of all, they provide help on any car you drive so it's really portable. Been with them 10+ years and use it enough to pay for itself. Don't forget the set of free passport photo. Peace of mind, definitely.

I love my AAA membership, I get 20% off at the local hand wash car wash. That really pays for the membership, I use it on Amtrak discount.

Best bang for your money! Nothing beats a peace of mind while you are driving a 20+ year old car.

Best of all, they provide help on any car you drive so it's really portable. Been with them 10+ years and use it enough to pay for itself. Don't forget the set of free passport photo. Peace of mind, definitely.

Plus if you are a passenger in someone else's car they get emergency AAA service as long as you remain with the vehicle.

Back