• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

experience with an NSX owner

Where I live the NSX is a very rare sighting. I love it and it's my dream car. But after this experience I don't know if I want to be associated with it. I know that not all owners are like this but this one guy just sticks out. Well anyway here's what happened.
As I was pulling out of the local McDonald's, I see a white NSX turing into theparking lot. I turned around and pulled up right beside his parking space. Well the conversation went something like this:
Me: Excuse me sir, but what year is your NSX?
Guy: What year do you think it is?
Me: Well i know it's an early 90's because my uncle has one.
Guy: Well he doesn't live around here then.
Me: He used to but he just moved.
Guy: Oh. It's a 2002. <--- I'm not sure if that's what he said but before I could ask he just basically blew me off and walked inside.
The conversation doesn't really bother me, It was how he treated me. Maybe he didn't mean to, but he came off as snobby with his answers. If he did say that it was a 2002, then I guess he thought that I would be impressed with how much he spent on it buying it brand new or whatever. I know that it is not an 02 because it had the black roof, and pre-02 designs; unless he changed all that which makes no sense to me. Sorry for the long post but this really upset me and I had to get it out. I am also wondering if the owner is member here and I would like to discuss this with him. It was a white Nsx with aftermarket 5 spoke rims and exhaust located in Augusta, GA.
When I say discuss I don't mean telling him off and stuff, I just want to now what really happened.

Last edited:
Maybe he was in a hurry?

Maybe he said 92?

This is why I try to answer all questions when someone asks me about the car... even when I am in a hurry. I'd hate to have that Porsche image. (No offense to Porsche owners).

I'm sorry you had that experience. Most NSX owners are definitely not like that at all.

That's why I posted this on here. I am hoping that he is a member here and will respond to this. I want to talk with him and find out what he said. I hope that he wasn't trying to come off as snobby.

Maybe he was just really - really hungry. Maybe he was tired and hungry. :confused: Maybe he never read or doesn't follow the "Exotic Car Owners Code of Conduct" Uuuuhhh - never mind he probably was just a d@#k-head!! Just because he has a tude, doesn't mean all of us are rude!! If you are not like that now then you probably won't be when you get an NSX or other exotic. Just buy one and enjoy! :D And remember the code.

Richieensx said:
Where I live the NSX is a very rare sighting. I love it and it's my dream car. But after this experience I don't know if I want to be associated with it.
Why would you let one persons attitude effect what you think a a piece of machinery? LOL, that is a pretty narrow minded stance. Everyone has good days and bad days. For all you know, that guy might have just come from the courthouse where his wife filed for a divorce, or some other stressful event.

Richieensx,

You cannot judge Nsx owners based on one or two "bad apples". I find that the Nsx community is top notch. Some of us even let strangers ride/drive in our Nsxs and we go out of our way to check out potential cars for future owners. This one guy may have been snotty but that is just his attitude and probably has nothing to do with the Nsx nor community.

Read around the message board and I am sure you will feel just at home as many of us forum members do. That said, welcome aboard and good luck in finding an Nsx.

I am not letting this one guy change how I fell about the NSX. I will admit that this experience did catch me by surprise. I have been lurking on this board for a couple of years and after seeing that all of the members here seemed pretty nice, I did not expect an exeprience like this. I know that there are can be many reasons for how he acted. I still plan on buying an NSX when I am finished with school and well into my career. When I said that I don't know if I still want an NSX, I was referring to being associated with people like this. Especially in this city where there are very few NSX's, it can seem that all NSX owners are like this.

Don't let this one incident give you the wrong impression of NSX owners. I can tell you when I had mine it got to the point at times where I almost hated driving it around because I was bothered so much by people wanting to talk, touch it or race me. It was my daily driver and many times I just didn't have time for it. So is possible the owner could have been having a hard day.

Don't let it bother you. A_s holes exist everywhere. Back in my younger years my converstation would have went something like this.

Me: Sir, can I ask you one more question if you wouldn't mind.

Him: Well I suppose so!

Me: Do you act like a jerk only when you drive this car, or is it something you do all the time.

Its only a car....nice........yes, but its not the most important thing in life is it!

Don't feel too bad about it and don't take it personal... it's not worth your time and don't let that change your view of our great community here. I too had a similar experience this past Monday. I was out driving in dublin shopping for picture frames for my upcoming wedding and stopped into TOGOs for a refuel. I couldn't take my NSX due to the lack in storage space in the trunk. Here's what happened:

We were on our way out of TOGOs and I noticed a brookland green with a modified exhaust. The owner walked out behind us and I asked him if that was his car. He replied, "yeah, one of my cars" :rolleyes: then I asked him what kind of exhaust was on his car. He replied something along the line... DC with some custom modifications or something... and walked off. I just assumed that he was in a hurry.... oh well... :p

Maybe he's just having a bad day after realizing that he paid over $80k for a 2002 but it only has pop-up headlights. Or perhaps his wife just found the Tein RAs in the new box in his garage!

Yeah, trust me, all NSX owner's aren't like that. In fact whenever someone asks me about my car I'm really open to discussion. Just today at a light some guys in a lowered Dodge R/T pick up asked me if I raced my car. I said no. Then he was like do you get on it. And I was like yeah, sometimes. He then asked me if it's worth it, the price of the car. I smiled and said HELL yeah, it's awesome to drive. I've never gotten negetive comments(so far).
Also, there's this early model black NSX like mine that I would see everyday when I was working in a certain part of town for a few weeks. Every morning I would see him and I would always look to give him a friendly hello or wave my hand, but he never acknoledged my presence. :rolleyes: I always thought that was rude! But oh well, jealous that my NSX was lower!! :p j/k
Regards
Z

Richieensx said:
...seeing that all of the members here seemed pretty nice, I did not expect an exeprience like this...

Maybe there's the reason why he's rude and hasn't responded, he's not a member here!! :D

Rich,

You should have ripped his shirt off and punched him in the nose! Haha, I'm just kidding. Seriously, I will just echo what everyone else has said. He may have been having a bad day or something of this nature. For me, that is really not a good excuse. The NSX is a rare and beautiful car. People are obviously going to ask questions about it. It is flattering to me.

Richieensx, who cares what excuse he may or may not have. He is just a jerk. Nice people are nice no matter what mood they are in. They don't take it out on other people. Jerks are jerks because that is just the way they are whether they are in a good mood or not. They take it out on everyone else and bring everyone they can down then blame it on a situation or a bad day. Jerks come in all shapes and forms and this one just happened to own an NSX. There are probably more jerks out there that own NSXs as well. Just remember that not everyone is like that and you will meet a lot of nice NSX owners who will be happy to show you their car or answer any questions you have. If you do get one in the future I'm sure you will be one of those nice NSX owners. ;)

Hey Juejaimon,

If you are in Dublin and you see a Red 97 NSX fell free to ask questions, I'll make time to answer them or point out some pretty cool roads in the nearby hills. Hey RichieeNSX, It's a long way from Augusta but if your ever in Dublin, CA ...... This is a small community but I think we have a cross section of folks just like the rest of the country at large. Most all of the folks I have meet on this site, at club drives or at the track have been most gracious and more than willing to talk about their cars. The Brooklands Green NSX is only a couple blocks from my house and I see it on the road on occasion or in his garage. Usually a friendly wave as we cross each others path. Don't let a bad experience ruin it for you. The more NSX owners you run into the higher %age of positive experiences you will have. Keep focused on your dream car as you will reap the reward when the day comes to drive your NSX home.

Good Luck,

1NSX2GO

1NSX2GO,

Thanks for the information and your warm invite. Would your name happen to be Pat?... if so, this is Steve, the fellow who helped you out with the cd changer issue about a year ago....

....thanks and take care.

I get this alot being an owner. I've come to expect everyone asking me what year, and if the car is real. I find also that almost everyone with a souped-up civic/integra etc whats to race. I don't mean to be rude but usually answer back pretty quickly and move on with my life.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to sit there for hours on end talking up a storm about my car as well. I just don't have the time to talk to everyone! I've had my car not even a year and so far I've had people disrespect the car. They don't even know me. I caught some loser spitting on the car after leaving a resturant late night. I can't believe the amount my anger I felt seeing this happen. All I can say is... what goes around... comes araound!

I've had people spit on it parked, ice cream thown on the back hatch. A ton of soda pop drop across the front hood (which left a mark in my clear coat I can't get out!) Valve cap/stem stolen, my rear tires flattened and the list goes on.

Most NSX owners don't like to leave their car unattended for long periods of time, which would probably stop mentioned above. I love my car and try to take it everywhere. I don't wanna have a 'Garage Queen' sitting, I feel this car should be driven and taken eveywhere.

So going back to the original thought, the guy probably was just busy. And had probably been asked the same thing over and over again. Does this justify his behavior? Proabably not, but remember we are all human...

Just remember the best place to talk about our beloved NSX is right here in this awesome community... Thanks for letting me vent my $0.02 worth!

I believe the NSXers you find on the net, in forums or national Honda Clubs, are those who are proud of their car and true enthusiasts. But of course there are people who buy this car for showing off or having a fast car regardless of make.
As for myself, it took quite a long time before I could buy mine. I am the only one in this area, and the car attracts a lot of attention. Some of this attention I cannot stand, like when youngsters in old BMWs or whatever tries to race me in the city (or elsewhere).
And what I dislike most of all, is when the first question is : How much did you pay?
Have fun with your car and do not let this incident prevent you from starting a conversation with a fellow NSXer. I am sure 99% of them will be happy to talk about their baby.

he was proberly with a girl and felt like he was embarrased to say the year if he told me 2002 i'd said we're is your paasanger air bag etc. and made him feel stupid

It is interesting the first thing he wants to know was what year he Thought it was. Kinda makes me believe he was trying to impress anyone that mattered (to him) that the car was worth much more than he actually paid. More like that it was the 02 he wished he could afford and not the 92 he was actually driving.

NsxJoy said:
Maybe there's the reason why he's rude and hasn't responded, he's not a member here!! :D
Yes, keep in mind that not all NSX owners are on here, and most people here aren't like that. Maybe this guy just bought his NSX for the image, and is not a true enthusiast. In the future, perhaps your first question ought to be, "are you on Prime?" ;)

For every snotty NSX driver out there, theres probably 100 that are not.

My first interaction with an NSX owner went like this. When I used to work in Addison, I would take NW Hwy 12 to work. Everyday, on this one strip going from 183 to 114, I would say to myself "If I had an NSX, I would just floor it right here..." I mean EVERYDAY I would either say that, or imagine I was in one. Hardly, I was driving my GSR (nice but not nearly as nice).

One day after work when passing through downtown Addison, I was at the light and a Red 91 NSX turned right in front of me. The guy had aftermarket red/chrome mesh rims and some kind of exhaust. Anyway, seconds later, we were on NW Hwy and I got next to him. Initially he thought I was trying to race him so he looked over, smiled and sped up. I finally got his attention and we drove really slow with our windows down. Anyway, we pulled into a Waffle House parking lot and got out and started talking. We talked about his car and even mine. Then he was like "Have you ever driven one before?" I hadnt so naturally I was like "no I havent". Then his next question was "Do you know how to drive a stick?" And as I said "yeah" he already had the keys dangling in front of me.

Moments later, guess where I was? Driving down that same strip of NW Hwy between 183 and 114. A 3000GT pulled up next to us and was kinda of revving his engine. I was so geeked at being behind the wheel I didnt pay it no mind. Then the NSX owner was like "what are you waiting for? its straight road..punch it?" Heh, still in shock I was like "uhhh..okay" So I gunned it...dream come true. Only took it up to maybe 120...got there really fast. We did the loop around exit taking us back through downtown and back to Waffle House. I didnt even learn the guys name until AFTER I drove his car. Vernon Kim...thanks. On the way home, I thought it was all a dream and all the sudden, my better than average GSR felt like an econo-box.

My second experience was just as good as my first. Guy walks up...says "Jhae? how you doin? Im Victor." He is good friends with one of my best friends and today, is even my friend. He heard I was ape sh1t over the car. He was a big fan himself and had just bought his 92 NSX I think a few months prior. Being a fellow enthusiast, he wanted to show me the car. Well, moments later, we were rollin around Grand Rapids, MI.

Last edited:
Back