• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Extended Warranty worth the extra Money?

I am contemplating getting back into an NSX preferably a 2017 or newer. As a car such as a 2017 has only one to two years remaining on warranty what is the consensus on getting an extended warranty. The 91 through 2005 NSXs were relatively reliable. How is the newer generation doing? How long can one get an extended warranty through Honda? Thanks,Manny

Oh, wow I am surprised that you cannot get an extended warranty for the new NSX. Is it just the NSX? or all Acuras?

Well, that's a third party and I can't tell you how good or bad they are. Just want to let you know that Honda Acura will not touch it or offer it. Good luck!

Well, that's a third party and I can't tell you how good or bad they are. Just want to let you know that Honda Acura will not touch it or offer it. Good luck!

We sell all of our extended warranties through them except for the customers who specifically request the Acura Care warranties. They have always treated our clients fairly thus far. I don't believe anyone has taken them up on an NSX warranty but for those interested that would be a place to start for now.

If Honda won't offer us extended warranty, what makes owners want to keep the car after the warranty ends?

You know how much an oil pump or a new engine costs right? Perhaps Honda wants to limit their liability with no extended warranty. If so, why should we be so quick to buy a new NSX or keep it beyond the warranty?

These cars are going to depreciate quickly after warranty expires.

If Honda won't offer us extended warranty, what makes owners want to keep the car after the warranty ends?

You know how much an oil pump or a new engine costs right? Perhaps Honda wants to limit their liability with no extended warranty. If so, why should we be so quick to buy a new NSX or keep it beyond the warranty?

These cars are going to depreciate quickly after warranty expires.

I know how much it cost for the oil pumps to be replaced. Approximately $33,000. But only one car that I know about first hand needed it done. Otherwise the car is extremely reliable.

My gut tells me that if the car were problematic in the since that it exhibited poor reliability, then we would be hearing about that already. I don't believe it is an issue of miles driven versus initial build quality. I believe that when Acura/Honda committed to this vehicle that they pursued excellence. The new NSX had to maintain the benchmark of the previous cars as well as push the technology. Thus far in my limited driving I believe they have succeeded. In the end this was not a trivial pursuit, but a total commitment for the organization. A lot is riding on this car. While they obviously wanted to sell more of these cars, this car is not just a model in their lineup. It represents the heights of their engineering achievement. There is a lot of pride in this vehicle. If the new NSX failed it would represent a blow that Acura/Honda would not recover from. Failure is not an option in this particular situation. As for us owners. One thing I am doing is adhering to the maintenance requirements and making sure the dealer is involved. This is a small but tight community. I believe Acura/Honda will support this car as we go forward.

congratulations on the NC1...did your car need the brake light/gas tank fixes?

When I checked the dealership conducting the PPI they indicated that the Tank R&R had been done in California earlier this year. So I am good to go. I wanted to look underneath the car. So the Tech removed all the covers so that we could check things out. Does not look like the car was ever in the rain. Everything was bright aluminum forgings. I also wanted them to check the struts to make sure they were properly removed and replaced when the shorter springs were installed. They verified the torque. I am now scheduled to have the springs removed and the OEMs put back in place. The street by our home is pretty bad and in need of repair. We are low the list. I was going to pull the struts myself and take them in and have the springs swapped. But I decided that it makes for sense for me to take it in and have it done by one of the trained techs. Expensive but worth it. The car is everything I wanted.

I have heard that possibly in the next 60 days or so we will hear from Acura about an Extended Warranty. So I have my fingers crossed. Having said that I suspect that a full on extended warranty will probably cost around $3500 + or - depending on the deductible and time/mileage. Our warranty is already really decent given that the power train is covered for 72 months and 70,000 miles. that covers most of the expensive stuff. There is some additional time for specific hybrid items. Having had many hybrids I never had a problem with that aspect of the cars. I just saw a Ferrari 2018 488 with around 1000 miles of use on the Bring your Trailer web site. They included the window sticker which listed the car at $315,000 or so. I read through what was included and was surprised to see that Ferrari provides 7 Seven years of maintenance for the car. That seems great until you look further. The warranty that comes with this + $300,000 car is good for 36 months and unlimited miles. The powertrain warranty is also just 36 months and unlimited miles. They suggest on the web site for Ferrari that they are so confident in the build quality of their cars that they offer 7 years of free maintenance. That has to be the worst indication of a quality build to give the car free maintenance but only cover the car for three years. Oh well sometimes we really think the grass is greener elsewhere when in fact it is pretty damn green under our feet.

I think if there is a good extended warranty available, it will change the market dynamics of the NC1 significantly.

Effective April 1, 2020, Acura Financial Services® is pleased to announce the addition of the Acura NSX to the Acura Care® Vehicle Service Contract family.

I have no other information regarding pricing etc because my store is closed due to covid. maybe [MENTION=34405]dshinke21[/MENTION] can shed some light on the subject.

Effective April 1, 2020, Acura Financial Services® is pleased to announce the addition of the Acura NSX to the Acura Care® Vehicle Service Contract family.

I have no other information regarding pricing etc because my store is closed due to covid. maybe [MENTION=34405]dshinke21[/MENTION] can shed some light on the subject.

For those anxiously waiting for an extended warranty - a cruel April Fools joke - sigh - if it doesn't come to fruition.

I have no other information regarding pricing etc because my store is closed due to covid. maybe @dshinke21 can shed some light on the subject.

Apologies all about the delay, was going through a move in the middle of all of this was miserable. Unfortunately we are now on lock down hear in Minnesota and our dealership went from nearly 60 employees to 5 for the foreseeable future and I do not have the ability to look into it at this time. I will update you all once I am able to get more info on it.

Can you purchase an extended warranty on a vehicle that just recently came out of warranty? (Speaking in future tense when NC1 run out of warranty)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Effective April 1, 2020, Acura Financial Services® is pleased to announce the addition of the Acura NSX to the Acura Care® Vehicle Service Contract family. I have no other information regarding pricing etc because my store is closed due to covid. maybe [MENTION=34405]dshinke21[/MENTION] can shed some light on the subject.
Well April 1st has arrived and I don't see an extended warranty. Thank you for the joke

Apologies all about the delay, was going through a move in the middle of all of this was miserable. Unfortunately we are now on lock down hear in Minnesota and our dealership went from nearly 60 employees to 5 for the foreseeable future and I do not have the ability to look into it at this time. I will update you all once I am able to get more info on it.
Yup, we're in the same boat. Only our service dept is open with a skeleton crew.

Hopefully we'll be back after May 3.

Can you purchase an extended warranty on a vehicle that just recently came out of warranty? (Speaking in future tense when NC1 run out of warranty)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can always purchase a warranty after it has expired however the cost does go up pretty significantly. I have a good friend who was told by Mercedes that the warranty on his AMG GT was $5,000 more than the quote he received the previous week due to the fact that his manufacture warranty had just expired. Needless to say he sold that car and has been buying Porsche's ever since.

I just got an email from my selling dealer about a factory backed warranty for the NSX. I am awaiting info. I will update when I have that in hand.....

So, I was told that if I bought the factory Acura 5 year warranty TODAY, it would cost $5,330. I bought my car in Nov of 2017, so my bumper to bumper factory warranty would end in 2021. My 6 year drivetrain warranty would then end 2023. Adding the 5 year extended warranty now would extend my warranty to 2025. This adds 4 years bumper to bumper warranty but only 2 years to the drivetrain warranty. But I would then be paying for a warranty on a car with a warranty for about 20 months at $88/ month or $1,760....... Not sure that makes much sense to me.

I think the original factory warranty is quite good, and I think the hybrid parts are warrantied for 8 years..... The original drivetrain warranty extends to 60K miles, and I will likely be dead before I drive mine 60K miles, but I'm planning to drive more in the future..... I've never been much of an extended warranty guy, and this one isn't making me feel like I want one.......

I was not told, but it seemed implied that the cost of the warranty would go up over time as you approached the end of the regular warranty. There was no mention of how much.

Last edited:
Back