• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F-Car Madness; ASK AWAY; F355 & NSX in garage

Member isonsx,if that is your yellow n.s.x on the picture,it looks awesome!!
How can i see i bigger picture of your car,and could you share the set up,such as suspension,wheel and tire combo?
Thanks,Raicoeurossocer.

'97 Spa Yellow Pearl / black, HRE 545s, comptech exhaust (per OP profile)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love them wheels!

The F-Car is done at the shop, only a leaky air hose....caused 3 check engine lights! LOL

Cost, only $500 to fix. LOL

My favorite dash light on the ferrari is "Slow Down" :biggrin:

ISONSX: I think you'll need to spend more than $100K to get a decent 360. I'd say $120 or so. As for maintenance on the Lambo (which someone else inquired about), I bought a new '06 Gallardo E-Gear. Absolutely zero mechanical problems and maintenance was not expensive. These newer Ferraris and Lambos are pretty much bullet-proof and no longer have quirky mechanical issues (like having to remove the engine to do almost anything on it, like the older F-cars).

When I was looking for a NSX I also looked at the F355.
Reading your posts I am more than happy than I choose the NSX.

Last week my NSX had a minor service done as well as the yearly APK, which is a mandatory checkup for all cars older than four years. It includes a mechanical & electrical inspection and emissions test.
I drive my NSX pretty hard most of the time so I was a little worried that I might have some hidden trouble coming up.

But guess what, the NSX passed (again) with flying colors. Emission was just about perfect with a 1.00 lambda output and just 0.12% O2 left.

Total costs of service and inspection a whopping 155 Euros

Interesting feedback regarding the 355 Ferrari. Its definately one of those luxury cars in the price range of the NSX and everything else (F360, Gallardo) are very much more expensive.

I'm so happy to have bought an 02 NSX and will be happier once I get another Taitec GT lightweight on her, wheels, and suspension.

Supercar complete in my mind!....and still less than $70K!

Yea, the thing is there is nothing in the price range... Everything is 40-60k more, big price jump.

Don't get me wrong, it's a thrill to drive and it gets more looks then the nsx which I didn't think was possible. But I seriously hold my breath everytime I start it.

355's hold that timeless look like the NSX. When I see a 348 or Testerossa cruising down the road I think it looks so dated.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever heard a better sounding stock car. That exhaust note is...stunning.

My family and I were in Chicago once staying at the Drake and a 355 came in off of Lakeshore onto Michigan Ave. and gunned it. Everyone looked (some I'm sure out of disgust) but many out with "wow" on their faces.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lP3SnMLsI1I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lP3SnMLsI1I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FWIW, I don't think I've ever heard a better sounding stock car. That exhaust note is...stunning.

In my experience, a purely bone stock F355 does not sound all that impressive. The truly amazing sound is achieved with an aftermarket exhaust, usually a Tubi.

A friend of mine has a 99 F355B that I see at least once a month. He recently went back to a stock exhaust after a Tubi and a Challenge exhaust. The Challenge was apparently way too loud, but the car sounds like it has been neutered with the stock exhaust when compared to the Tubi. Numerous people have commented on how quiet the car sounds with the stock exhaust.

If the 355 and the NSX are so similar on many aspects, I guess the other determining factor is design/styling. Personally, the NSX takes the cake.

When I drove my friend's F355, I was struck by the cheap interior. The door handles looked and felt like they would come off in my hand. I was also quite unimpressed with the exterior fit and finish, panel edges, paint, etc. And this is a low-mile, well-kept example.

The ergonomics of the F355 are inferior to the NSX. The two biggest deficiencies are in visibility and the off-center pedal arrangement of the F355.

Reliability, ease of maintenance and cost of ownership all heavily favor the NSX.

In terms of performance, they are very even.

An F355 can be a legitimate choice over an NSX, or anything else, but that choice is based largely on the emotional appeal of owning a Ferrari and the incredible sound of the flat-plane crank V8 through a Tubi exhaust.

Tory, you big bag of wuss.:tongue: Buy the 360 or my Dad's Cobra already.

BTW, saw you yesterday on Sheridan and 101st. Gave you finger but I don't think you saw me. ;)

Shawn - I'm just waiting for the California housing market to crater even more so I can go give your dad an extremely insulting lowball offer for the Cobra (shipping from Cali to OK must be included as well)! I was driving the NSX last weekend looking at new houses - another thing I can't seem to make a decision on. I didn't see you but would have loved to stop and ask you if you've signed the title to your NSX over to SOS since it's been there for three years now! Not going to do a 355...will save my allowance for the 360 for all of the reasons everyone here listed.

SWIFTVISION - I appreciate your honest and unbiased opinion on the 355 vs NSX. You should know since you have both. I really do like the 355 looks but everything I've heard and read is consistent with comments here. Mike Naday, a former NSX owner out of No Cali, had one of the nicest supercharged NSXs I've ever seen (Chromotose) and went to the 360. He suggested to me to hold out for the 360. It will probably be a while for me as I have conflicting priorities.

raicoeurosoccer - See the link attached for some better pictures of my current NSX. Thank you as well for your nice comments

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101794

It has an 18/19" set-up with the HRE wheels, Bridgestone Pole Position S-03 245/35/18 front and 285/30/19 rear. Completely stock suspension. My last midnight pearl was slammed 1 1/2 inches but the large wheels and fat tires on my current yellow NSX give it a naturally aggressive look and lower than actual perceived stance.

Wordman - You are probably right, $120K +/- for a really nice 2000 - 2002 360. Just puts this further from my comfort zone.

In the end, nothing touches the NSX until you spend at least 2X what a nice '97+ car will cost you.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are some perspective buyers who want to know if the Ferrari more of a chick magnet than the NSX? :biggrin:

BIGTIME!!!!!

I have had my 360 spider for a little less than a year and a few problems of my own making like a bent wheel and scraped chin. Other than that I have had two CEL problems one related to spark plugs and the other happened yesterday. As soon as I turned the car off and back on it corrected itself. Pretty good car over all.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Nburg355Nsx.jpg
    Nburg355Nsx.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Nburg.jpg
    Nburg.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 34
I like the F355 very much. Beautiful design. This picture is interesting. Maybe it is the perspective, but I always thought the NSX was bigger than the F355?

There are not many cars that are smaller than the NSX, especially in today's time. I can only think of less than 10 cars that are shorter in height compared to the NSX.

Had a 1991 NSX for 7 years prior to the owning and F355 Berlinetta for the last 2 years. I have not had many issues with either car, the maintenance is more expensive on the Ferrari, the engine out major service is only required every 5 years, not every 3. I drive my cars hard (both visited the track more than once), not used for cruising or putting them in front of restaurants and both proved to be reliable.

The Ferrari is considerably more fun for me to drive, but if you asked was it worth the difference in price and maintenance, I would be hard pressed to give you an answer. Issues with F355 are as follows: headers will go bad for all years, valve guides have gone bad on all years (including some 1999s), cats will go bad and interiors will get sticky. Good news is some of these fixes are not only permanent, but provide upgraded performance. I went with Tubi header, hyper flow cats and Tubi muffler, valve guides had been replaced on my car. Much debate on what is the best year, 1995 is OBD1, and has 5 hp more, some bugs worked out on later years. Key to owning the Ferrari is having a great independent mechanic close by, the dealerships are not that great, at least out here in the Rocky Mountain region, but we have one of the best independents in the country. Cost of service as well as quality of service is superior with independents such as Scuderia Rampante, Brian Crall and Eugenios. As mentioned previously it is difficult to beat the engine note in an F355, but it sounds better from the outside than the inside, opposite of the NSX which sounded great from the inside). Inusrance is not bad on the Ferrari about $1,000 per year, similar to what my NSX ran

The NSX was a great car and I truly enjoyed it, it handled great, was super reliable and was rare. The only issues I had were that the engine note did not stir me enough (made the mistake of putting a B&B exhaust on and it only made it boomy) and it could have used a bit more power (I live at 7,300 feet high, so the altitude robs both of these cars of considerable power). Exterior fit and finish were superior to the Ferrari, interior materials we inferior as it relates to quality (tough to beat the Connelly leather in a Ferrari) but much more durable and far less maintenance than the Ferrari.

Neither of these cars are much fun for me to take out and leave anywhere, I was always paranoid someone was going to mess with either of them, I truly enjoy taking my wife's S2000 out, we can enjoy dinner out and not worry about the car.

The only way to really determine which is for you is to:

1) Drive them both and determine which one really makes you smile
2) Determine which one your budget or tolerance for expenses is on an ongoing basis, if a big bill hitting you unexpected will do to you financially and emotionally.

I can say that while I do miss the NSX and loved having it, I will probably never let go of the F355.

Back