• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2008 Megathread

Re: Clarification needed

Not sure what this means:
1. Honda along with Red Bull and STR will be fighting for the front 3 rows? :rolleyes:
2. The traditional 3 front running teams will fade big time? :confused:
3. Red Bull and STR will be coming back to lower midpack where Honda will join them?
4. a general non-racing term meaning strong and much better than DFLast? :wink:

If it's not #3 or 4, we need to hear more.............

Strong Mid pack. Maybe (with my fingers crossed & the stars in alignment) a podium. Not bottom feeders, not winners or contenders. They were very strong a couple of years ago, until their windtunnel fiasco, where every improvement they made there resulted in a slower car. I'm hoping for a bounce back of sorts.

Last edited:
Honda will be back! Two words Ross Brawn. He took the F-cars from nothing to what they are today. Ross knowing that RB can drive in the wet and made changes, were Fry would not do a year ago. Give him time at Honda, Honda wants to be on top. We have the best F1 car and the best road cars with gas at $$4+ a gal. they want to show the world. Wait till next year!!??

Heavens to Betsy! Praise be to Brawn.

Unofficial Thursday times from Hockenheim:
1. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:14.989
2. Jenson Button, Honda, 1:15.081
3. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 1:15.289
4. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:15.378
5. Sebastian Vettel, Toro Rosso, 1:15.556
6. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 1:15.593
7. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 1:15.759
8. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 1:15.869
9. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 1:16.065
10. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India, 1:16.113

Did Button skip a few billion corners or something?:eek:

German GP, nothing to report, moving along...

Re: German GP: Quietly fascinating

German GP, nothing to report, moving along...
Whoa, whoa, wait an "F-1" ing minute. Before you head off to write the F-1 Debrief program script, you got some 'splaining to do to us retards. I've got so many nagging niggling questions after that race, I don't know where to start. I'll have to collect my thoughts just to be coherent, but just off the top of my head these developments deserve comment even if the answers are simple,

1. Peaky???? on the podium??? WTF kind of brilliant strategy pulled that off? He didn't just figure out how to drive Sunday morning did he?
2. What's the matter with the Kimster? Did he not get enough tang the night before or was he out with Mosley and got too much?
3. Why was Kubica off the pace?
4. How did Heidfeld get up there?
5. Trulli; how did he hang in there so long and was it just normal fade, like tires going off or what? (oh who cares!!)
6. Mostly, why did they leave Hamo out on the last safety car? How could they make such a simple mistake? Just showing off? I don't think so.
7. Does anyone else think it's interesting that Hamo is driving around watching the big screen and getting information (apparently before his crew gave it to him) about who's in the pits and what that means to him?

Man, just when you think you see a trend in this season, it all goes out the window. :cool:

Lewis is definitely making me a believer in him again.(although I still think he and his father are both jackasses) His performance for the last two races have been phenomenal, even with the strategic mistake by his team not to pit during safety car.

Lewis is definitely making me a believer in him again.(although I still think he and his father are both jackasses) His performance for the last two races have been phenomenal, even with the strategic mistake by his team not to pit during safety car.

I was happy when they made him Pit in with only about 15 seconds lead. I was sure he wasn't gonna win the race, then he made his way up the field again.

This will be very interesting if Honda can pull this one off. If this particular drive can't find a seat any where next season, why stay with the same mediocre team for less money when one of the biggest car maker is willing to pay "whatever" price.

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3855171,00.html

Re: Where is Nando-land

This will be very interesting if Honda can pull this one off. If this particular drive can't find a seat any where next season, why stay with the same mediocre team for less money when one of the biggest car maker is willing to pay "whatever" price.
Yes, that would be interesting if Honda were to land him. He would do well for the development of the car. But he's probably justifiably cautious about whether or not the Honda management has finally seen the errors of their meddling ways and will step away and let Ross run his own show. That has been the fatal flaw up til now, right?

In any case, it will be interesting wherever he lands. I think he's beyond the money; he's looking for a place in history and wants to find a home on a winning team and better Schumi's records. He probably wants it so bad, he'd pay millions to find that perfect situation. But his problem, as many knowledgable pundits have noted, is that not every team is ready to roll over and give him that perfect situation.

So, where will Nando-land be next year? That's the big question. If Kimi retires after 2009, he probably will land in the red car. But in the interim, I'll bet he's wondering too and it's conceivable that he might just roll the dice with Ross and hope that the Honda big-bucks are properly managed toward the real goal: a good reliable winning car.

I'm not convinced Alonso would eb an asset to Honda. Theres no doubting his experience and ability to haul an off the pace car to better results than most, but, and this is just my view, this is only possible with the SWB chassis and kart style set up that he prefers.

Rubens and Jenson have similar driving styles and both prefer the LWB chassis. With a lot of changes for 09 the playing field will be levelled quite a bit. RB's experience could be just the ticket to turn out a new competitive car. But this car will have been designed to suit Rubens & Jenson, not some short moody Spaniard.

Just my thoughts

I was beginning to think that the German GP was boring, but I have to say I did enjoy the post safety car part of the GP. They had no choice but to leave Lewis out as he would of shot his soft tyres and probably of needed another tyre stop and lost the race. Much prefer the race we saw and his latest demo in how to overtake in an F1 car ... come on Lewis, more of the same please!!

regards,

Last edited:
Honda does have the history to lure in the best drivers when they think they have the equipment to win. Alonso would be a nice addition to the team either with Button or Ruben... Probably Button since he is still very young and have room to improve. Few people forgot how good he was back in 2004 when they had a good car.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Honda does have the history to lure in the best drivers when they think they have the equipment to win. Alonso would be a nice addition to the team either with Button or Ruben... Probably Button since he is still very young and have room to improve. Few people forgot how good he was back in 2004 when they had a good car.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I would really miss either of these guys if they were to replace them with Nando. If he can bring Honda a championship, I would certainly welcome that. I still think Rubinho will still be with us another season. He has shown us that he is just as good as or better than Jenson Button.

Last edited:
I would really miss either of these guys if they were to replace them with Nando. I he can bring Honda a championship, I would certainly welcome that. I still think Rubinho will still be with us another season. He has shown us that he is just as good as or better than Jenson Button.
What Honda needs is to supply engine to another team like they did back in the 80/90's and Jordon Honda. This way, they can also dictate who get to drive them. Ruben is a great driver, and his time is not up yet, it will be a shame to see him out of F1 next season.

Re: Where is the next Nando-land anyway?

Is Toyota tipping us off that they've got AlaNSO for next year? Have they already given him ownership on the engine nacelle? I wonder if Varsha will bring this up......:rolleyes: One never knows; my pancake this morning had the image of Jesus on it after I poured the syrup. And I had a cheeto for lunch that looked just like the cross. :wink:

What's the prediction for this weekend? :confused: Time for Kimi to re-enter the scene?? maybe Flippy will re-read his favorite racing book. Just because Hamo's on top of the practice sheets with soft one lap tires don't mean sheet, right?

OK, here's a real question; where did Shawn go this time?

Is Toyota tipping us off that they've got AlaNSO for next year? Have they already given him ownership on the engine nacelle? I wonder if Varsha will bring this up......:rolleyes: One never knows; my pancake this morning had the image of Jesus on it after I poured the syrup. And I had a cheeto for lunch that looked just like the cross. :wink:

What's the prediction for this weekend? :confused: Time for Kimi to re-enter the scene?? maybe Flippy will re-read his favorite racing book. Just because Hamo's on top of the practice sheets with soft one lap tires don't mean sheet, right?

Are you being sarcastic? That's DENSO on the car. And it's spelled Alonso.

Sorry sorry, there's a ton of stories/rumors/tech articles I've been wanting to post but haven't gotten around to it.

- the state of KERS
- Schumacher crashing
- the USGP for next year?
- Alonso at Fezza and Massa's not looking so hot
- Macca's traction control

But really, I just am looking forward to Valencia and Singapore - street circuits!

Button didn't do too badly in quali. Rubens didn't make it out of the first quali round. In real terms though, the Honda team's performance sucked giant monkey nuts b/c Toyota qualified 5th.

And what is the deal w/ Raikkonen? He hasn't had a good performance in several race weekends.

Last edited:
And what is the deal w/ Raikkonen? He hasn't had a good performance in several race weekends.

Finn F1 drivers has the tendency to loose their motivation after being a championship winner. Look at Mika, after his second won, he didn't even care any more. Raikkonen's championship winning year in a way, was earned by luck after Alonso and Hamilton killed each other. It was handed to him.

Re: change rate accelerating?

And what is the deal w/ Raikkonen?
What is the deal with Ferrari? Maybe Varsha's on to something when he wonders if not having a clear lead driver has something to do with it. But, alas, that question leads me nowhere except to idle unstructured speculation. And that will quickly get me into sarcasm (and trouble). :tongue:

It seems to me that the see-saw changes in advantage of one team over another are coming much faster now. And that suggests that the tweak of the week is becoming more critically important.

OK, here's comes the sarcasm. :wink: McLaren put the dumbo ears on and the red cars have not. Dumbo ears must be the tweak of the week for this "Mickey Mouse track" as Robert K. called it. :rolleyes: *End sarcasm*

With all the rules changes, one could start to get excited for Honda's next year car.

thank god for tivo, going to watch hungary now, i watched germany earlier this week and that was an amazing race especialy at the end with hamilton shaking kubica off his tail, then taking over heiki, and massa:biggrin::biggrin: or something like that

Re: Hungary GP

Luck once again takes control. Except for Honda; luck seems to leave them completely alone to simply wallow in the pugatory of past mistakes.

Pretty cool :cool: pass that Flippy put on Hamo on the start, eh? When he locked up under braking, I was sure there was no way he was going to complete the pass.

Massa's move was great, and he was driving like a madman the entire race, but it looks like he pushed the Ferrari too hard and paid for it. :frown: That was the speculation anyway...

As for Honda, just terrible. Those cars don't even look competitive out there. It's like the start light goes and they start to fall back immediately. Considering how bad the car is this year, I think credit should go to JB and RB for qualifying as well as they do. If they can do that good with the POS RA108, imagine what they could do if given a decent car? :biggrin: Interestingly, the Speed announcers mentioned in passing that JB is likely to be fired to make room for Alonso...

Back