• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2008 Megathread

Re: Good thing for Hamo.....

that the Kimster is not a team player. If he was, he'd be planning to take Hamo out and give Flippy a chance to get to the front.

Good thing for Flippy that Heikki's not a big enough A-hole to take him out.

All in all, odds should be that Flippy's screwed being back in the 3rd row. But this is F-1 08. Anything can happen. :wink:

And then Fred's smack in the middle of all this action; who knows whose game plan he'll spoil............Whew; this could be wild. :tongue:

How about this "fun fact"; did anyone catch the Red cars' lollipop man releasing Kimi on his last Q-3 pit stop? Pretty casual in his movements even though he kinda-sorta got the control right with traffic coming. You'd think he'd be as crisp as burnt bacon after the Singapore embarrassment. :biggrin:

As much bad press as FOM has been getting for Ferrari bias, there's no way that Raikkonen would be able to do something like that without getting half the team's points for the season deducted as a penalty.

Race is on in what, 45min? Should be interesting.

Nick

Re: The first 25 laps

My, my, my, Hamo blows it and chaos permeates the field. And look at this: RB is up to 10th and actually racing Rosberg !!!::tongue:

Last edited:
Well, Hamilton's mistakes were seen and raised by Massa. Probably just got a little too excited trying to get around Bourdais. I really hope they don't penalize him for that one. He may have been too aggressive when he made contact with Hamilton, but I think this should just be called a racing incident.

I also think Massa threw away a golden opportunity to keep the championship alive. As much as I love Ferrari, and as much as I dislike Hamilton, I doubt Mclaren will drop the ball like that again.

Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton. I better start getting used to that now.

Nick

Well, Hamilton's mistakes were seen and raised by Massa. Probably just got a little too excited trying to get around Bourdais. I really hope they don't penalize him for that one. He may have been too aggressive when he made contact with Hamilton, but I think this should just be called a racing incident.

I also think Massa threw away a golden opportunity to keep the championship alive. As much as I love Ferrari, and as much as I dislike Hamilton, I doubt Mclaren will drop the ball like that again.

Formula One World Champion Lewis Hamilton. I better start getting used to that now.

Nick

I hope not. I was fine with Hamilton last year, but he seems to be a bit more arrogant and annoying this year, and seeing as I already disliked McLaren, I've got no reason to like him now. I was definately thrilled to see Fernando make it two in a row, and I'm hoping somehow McLaren and Ferrari continue to have blunder after blunder to allow Bobby the Bowler and BMW to take the championship as a dark horse, Kimster style. :D

Re: Explain please

but he seems to be a bit more arrogant and annoying this year,
You're not alone in being less than enthralled with Hamo, and I've heard this type of comment before, so I'm not disputing your opinion, I'm asking for examples that support that position.

He doesn't walk on water the way he was heralded to do 18 months ago. But OTOH, he's still under a microscope and whatever he says will be scrutinized more so than almost anyone else on the grid, so I think that needs to be factored in.

But maybe I've missed some inexcusable comments. Let me know what examples you think are indisputable. Thanks.

Nick

That's what they said this race, that they will not make the same mistake as last year. I was laughing with joy when Massa bumped Hamo to last position. I'm a Honda fan through and through, but I rather see anybody but Hamilton take the Championship, preferably Kubica.

Massa is only 6 points behind, he's very much in contention for the championship.

That's what they said this race, that they will not make the same mistake as last year. I was laughing with joy when Massa bumped Hamo to last position. I'm a Honda fan through and through, but I rather see anybody but Hamilton take the Championship, preferably Kubica.

Massa is only 6 points behind, he's very much in contention for the championship.
Mathmatically speaking, if Mass take both remaining GP, and Hamilton finish 2 and 3rd - 20 pts vs 14 pts. Masa still wins for winning more races.

Interesting to see how Kimi will do for his team mate.

If Hamilton Win just one and get on podium the next, he wins win.

See how they duke it out.

Anyone else suspicious of the penalties this race?

I think Hamilton might have deserved his drive-through, but I'm not sure. Crazy aggressive move on turn one like I'm used to from him, and he shoved Raikkonen off the track, but it was the first lap. That's always time for crazy aggressive moves. Since he has a history of doing stuff like that, though, I probably would have given him the penalty.

I don't think Massa deserved his drive-through, but I'm not sure. He did make contact, but it looked to me like Hamilton forced him wide going into the first part of the complex, and then he tried to keep it on the track instead of cutting the corner. Could he have given up the spot? Sure, but I don't know that there was time for a reasoned decision. I'm more tempted to call that one a racing incident. It's not like Schumacher, I don't think it was an intentional thing.

I don't think Bourdais deserved a penalty at all. They were racing for position, and he was on the inside. Massa just turned in on him. Some people think Massa deserved a penalty for that one, but I think it's another racing incident, and he did not gain any advantage by spinning himself around.

Any other opinions?

Nick

Re: The 'C' Word

Anyone else suspicious of the penalties this race?
Conspiracy or Consistency.

I think that the pundits on the Speed Report and Wind Tunnel last night (Steve Matchett, Dave Despain, Mike Joy) said it all with their body language, their :rolleyes: looks and innuendo.

If you didn't see it, Steve had the most to say about "consistency" (actually lack thereof) of the Stewards' rulings and the procedures they employed, like waiting til after the race sometimes instead of making a simple call at the time. He made reference to how others may want to talk about "conspiracy" but he himself only called into question the "consistency" of the Stewards. Short story: He was very careful to avoid any incriminating soundbites.

As for Wind Tunnel, they just sort of chuckled and looked up at the ceiling and winked at each other. It was pretty clear what they were thinking.

While no one believes the whole season long F-1 show is being scripted, it's not too tough to believe it's being manipulated at opportune moments. Meaning that if Massa and Hamo's points were reversed, for example, the rulings might very well be different and someone would be screaming bias against the Red cars.

I just read that Bourdais was penalized for the incident with Massa, wtf. Massa was like he was driving bumper cars in Japan. I am a Bourdais fan and think he was shafted on that, screw the new kid and keep Ferrari ahead of everybody. I would love it if both Hondas took out the Ferraris in China, at least they would do something good in the race. The Ferrari politics is really messing up F1.

I just read that Bourdais was penalized for the incident with Massa, wtf. Massa was like he was driving bumper cars in Japan. I am a Bourdais fan and think he was shafted on that, screw the new kid and keep Ferrari ahead of everybody. I would love it if both Hondas took out the Ferraris in China, at least they would do something good in the race. The Ferrari politics is really messing up F1.

I'd love it if both Hondas took out Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa in the next two races and give the win to Robert Kubica :eek::biggrin::wink:

I just read that Bourdais was penalized for the incident with Massa, wtf.

As a member of the do-no-wrong tifosi nation, even I am coming to terms with the "Red Car Rule." Just doesn't seem right rooting for them anymore.

F-1 races in China: 2
F-1 races in No. America: 0

WTF? :eek:

Blame Bernie. China, Singapore, Malaysia, and Guam (being sarcatic) all are willing to front ginormous sums of money to host GPs as national marketing campaigns. That leaves little opportunity for the traditional venues. Before you know it, Monaco is going to get dropped as well.

Re: More Honda coverage; whatever it takes

I'd love it if both Hondas took out Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa in the next two races and give the win to Robert Kubica
The way things have been that's about the only way Honda will get any attention. :redface: When they mention Honda, it's right before Hobbs says "and there's poor ole Super Aguri down there with no points". And then the race show's over.

Did you see where Reubens said he advised Bruno Senna not to come to Honda; not because he'd take his (RB's) job, but because it would not be good for his (Bruno's) F-1 career. I wonder if Jens would echo that sentiment? :rolleyes:

Re: Stop it Bernie, you're killing me

Blame Bernie. China, Singapore, Malaysia, and Guam (being sarcatic) all are willing to front ginormous sums of money to host GPs as national marketing campaigns. That leaves little opportunity for the traditional venues. Before you know it, Monaco is going to get dropped as well.
Varsha was talking about that and quoted Bernie as saying something like "well the problem is that those North American promoters think they should make a profit." :biggrin: That old fart has a great sense of humor, doesn't he?

Of course if there's a pair of headlights like this right at eye level, that can't hurt. :tongue: Ahhh, true love, ain't it great?? :rolleyes:

Re: Stop it Bernie, you're killing me

Varsha was talking about that and quoted Bernie as saying something like "well the problem is that those North American promoters think they should make a profit." :biggrin: That old fart has a great sense of humor, doesn't he?

Of course if there's a pair of headlights like this right at eye level, that can't hurt. :tongue: Ahhh, true love, ain't it great?? :rolleyes:

Lets bring F1 back to the US, preferably to the West Coast. Imagine a street course down Sunset Blvd :eek: or even better, a course in one of the upscale neighborhoods of South Central, Watts, Compton,etc..:biggrin:
We'd even have our own "Sand People(Tusken Raiders)" shooting at the drivers(cars), Crips/Bloods/18th St/etc., just like in Star Wars. How's that for entertainment. :wink:

Oh yeah, you'd think Bernie could have a better looking girl at his side, that there looks almost like a drag queen. :eek:

Last edited:
Re: Take that Bernie !!!

We've been led to believe that it was always Bernie's ball to take home if he wanted to make people cry. Well the French just cancelled support of their race. :eek:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71421

Of course, by now I don't take anything at face value, so I'm waiting to see what that really means. :rolleyes:

Edit; on 2nd thought, I think it means he wanted it to look this way (like he doesn't ruthlessly control everything). He's got another race in Farawayistan ready to go on that weekend. Like the USGP, this will just give him future leverage to get his Paris race for mo-money. Am I too cynical? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Re: Renault Muckracking

How about Fab Flav predictiing young Hamo will throw it away?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71478

And how about eyebrows being raised about Renault's remarkable progress? :eek:

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=96731

Man, between these last 2 races and the election, who cares about the World Series? :biggrin:

In a poll over at F1.com, the majority are favoring Massa and Kubica over Hamilton for the championship.
Massa 37.56%
Kubica 35.29%
Hamo 27.15%

I read Hamo lost it during qual, but came back to take pole position. If he doesn't crash his car or makes some other mistake on his own, I hope someone else takes him out. :biggrin::wink:

OMG the pass!!! Massa has displayed skill never before seen in an F1 race. Passing the World Champion despite being fended off with such skills as you would expect from World Champion Kimi. Pullleeeeze.:rolleyes:

Anyone believe there will be an inquiry by the stewards? A request for telemetry recordings? An interview with the Kimster as to how he managed to suddenly loose a second per lap in the last 12? Of course not. The sporting regs prohibiting team orders are for the OTHER teams. Red Car Rules have their own contents.

I respect every opinion expressed in these forums, and am curious if anyone cares to explain their dislike for Hamo with any examples of the behavior mentioned, like arrogance, etc. The only thing I don't care for is the refusal to do much if any interviews before a race but I respect his choice not to.
In the interviews he does give, usually from the post race interview room as a top three place finisher, he always gives first thanks and credits to the team and family so I hav a hard time with the 'arrogant' monicker. In fact, I think he exudes humble in most cases. His drivers skills displayed in less than two full seasons at his age would normally be lauded with loud voices from all corners. What gives??

The arrogance is more from his on-track behavior, as I see it. Complete disregard for the other drivers, in the form of extremely aggressive driving even when it's not needed. Many times he has pushed other cars completely off the track, even when his car was clearly so much faster that he could have just slid by on the straights.

It's bad enough that the driver's association asked the organizers to reprimand him, so it's not just me saying it. He's not the only one out there on the track, but sometimes he acts like it.

As far as the Massa/Raikkonen thing, it's ridiculous that there's a rule attempting to stop teams acting in the best interests of the team. Both drivers would like to win the title, but one knows he can't. I would do the same thing, because I would rather have my teammate win than someone else. What do you want them to do, race so hard they take each other out? That rule should be stricken from the books.

By the way, even I have to say that Hamilton drove a great race.

Nick

Last edited:
I respect every opinion expressed in these forums, and am curious if anyone cares to explain their dislike for Hamo with any examples of the behavior mentioned, like arrogance, etc. The only thing I don't care for is the refusal to do much if any interviews before a race but I respect his choice not to.

Here's the latest example: Hamburns has been quoted for saying that he's "better than Senna" - which he disputes saying now. I think he gets a bad rap in general but the Senna comment was a little much to behold. And FWIW, F1 Supremo Smegal Ecclestone even thinks Hamburns is a little full of himself.

Meh, I figure most good drivers are a bit arrogant. Not everyone can be Phil Hill.

I know there are rules against team orders, but I don't think that prohibits a driver from letting another driver pass him. That's driver decision, not team orders, and I think that's why there will be no inquiry.

Good on Kimi, being there for the team. There are other world champions that wouldn't have done it.

Kinda off topic but. Only one race to go!!! Yay for the end of a horrible season for Honda.

Hoping for better luck and results next year. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back