• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F355 vs. BBSC NSX

X-TNSIV said:
The 355 is a strong V8. It will beat standard NSX's all day long.
Not true, according to all the magazine tests. For example, Motor Trend reports in its 7/95 issue that the F355 Berlinetta does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.8, and in its 10/95 issue that the F355 Spider does these in 4.9 and 13.4 - numbers that are virtually identical with those of the corresponding models of 3.2-liter NSX.

Originally posted by MvM
So, am I to conclude that
a) Ferraris claim of 380 HP is optimistic or
b) the Ferrari drive-train is less efficient.
Ferrari is notorious for being inaccurate (overoptimistic) in reporting horsepower figures and curb weight.

Number9 said:
Stock 355s run about 300 RWHP while stock 3.2L NSXs run about 260 or so, hence assuming similar drag coefficients and frontal areas (probably a sane assumption), stock-for-stock, the 355 will walk the NSX at triple digit speeds.

Andrie Hartanato was able to hang with an F355 Challenge driving my MR2 Turbo at Thunderhill for about 4 laps before we were black flagged for brakes (which were on fire). A quick clip of this footage even appears in Apotheosis.

So yes, a properly set up NSX (or MR2) can hang with an F355.

-- DavidV :D

A lighten NSX will hang with a 355, whereas a MR2 will need some upgrade on the hp. scale to hang with the 355. However, on that notion, I know your MR2 is not stock, unlike mine.

Like I said, I lighten up my NSX and I don't have a problem with the 355. For my next MR2, i would have to ugrade it somewhat before I bring it to the track.

nsxtasy said:
Not true, according to all the magazine tests. For example, Motor Trend reports in its 7/95 issue that the F355 Berlinetta does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.8, and in its 10/95 issue that the F355 Spider does these in 4.9 and 13.4 - numbers that are virtually identical with those of the corresponding models of 3.2-liter NSX.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post, but I was referring to the Berlinetta's performance being faster than the standard NSX's... and only stating the performance of my brother's 355 spider as a referrence as to how quick a spider is as well..

Number9 said:
I don't get these remarks at all. Sports cars are, for the most part, luxury items.

While status may be important to some, it isn't even a consideration for me. I'd much rather buy a no-status Ford than a Ferrari (you know which one...).

If this is the case, then why do you drive a NSX???

I know of plenty cars that will handle as well, out accelerate, as reliable, and MUCH cheaper...

How about a Turbo MR2 for example...relatively cheap, easy to modify to make MUCH faster than a NSX could ever be, it's a Toyota (which some say is even more reliable than Honda), and still mid engine.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but each person has their own personal opinions on what cars they like...and I personally LOVE the 355. I'm just stating that there has to be more than performance and handling reasons why you bought a NSX.

Back