• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory 2013 NSX info sent to dealers

All this guesstimating reminds me of the whining on nagtroc before the R35 was unveiled. Let's not throw this car under the bus just yet boys and give Honda a chance to make their Hail Mary! :).

I agree though that Honda's trump card over all the other manufacturers is the MR layout. No other jdm maker has ever pulled out a MR exotic. Honda should not forget that distinct advantage.

Posted from my iPhone

The NSX will be released as brand improver tool. Just like the first one. Honda knows they are not going to sell a bunch. They are doing this car just to show everybody they can compete with Porsche. The Nsx is aimed at the 918 hybrid coming out. Seems like Honda is trying to compete with them or be as good. 2013 Porsche is going to F1 with 4cyl turbo tech. So is Honda.
Honda does have some strong performers. Mdx outsells all other luxury SUV's. CRV outsells all other cut utes. Civic already is on the way to be the best selling car even though the reviews were so bad.
The NSX is again going to shake up the super car slot.
I will never forget that time when the District Sales Mgr. showed up at the Honda dealer I was working at. He showed up with the red prototype Nsx back in 1990. I thought to myself wow they are going to build this concept supercar they were talking about!

I would be surprised if that was Honda's target. The 918 hybrid is a hyper exotic priced at $845k.

With 700+ HP. The fact that it's pretty alone should tell you it's not Honda's target.

I hope they make a mid engine V12 and shut up all of us.
I'd eat Cup O' Soup every day for at least a year if it meant I could have one in my garage (assuming price is $150K and not $200K+)

I have a feeling the new nsx will be a disappointment. It won't beat gtr, lfa,911tt or the like but it will beat 370z, Evo, and similar for 2 or 3 times the price.
That's exactly the way I feel about it. Sadly, given their record it's a far more likely scenario than the 1st.

The NSX will be released as brand improver tool. Just like the first one. Honda knows they are not going to sell a bunch. They are doing this car just to show everybody they can compete with Porsche. The Nsx is aimed at the 918 hybrid coming out.
When this car debuts I'll bet it'll be more of a Cayman fighter (the S model - Honda really sets their goals high). 918 will have a V8 with around 500+ hp 200 or so from electric motors, and for $800K neighborhood, so Honda will not be competing with that, rest assured.
Honda does have some strong performers. Mdx outsells all other luxury SUV's. CRV outsells all other cut utes. Civic already is on the way to be the best selling car even though the reviews were so bad.
Those are all appliance cars/$hitboxes. None of them are true classleaders in any of their respective categories, nor do they show any kind of innovative tech.
The NSX is again going to shake up the super car slot.
NSX was NEVER a supercar, it wasn't even exotic. Supercars don't make 270 hp, not even 2 decades prior to its release was 270 considered supercar territory. GTR with 530 is not a supercar, and neither will the new X even if by some miracle it puts out the same power.

Last edited:
With 700+ HP. The fact that it's pretty alone should tell you it's not Honda's target.

Thanks Dave. No disrespect but I believe the OP just jumped shark :biggrin:

@ Morerpms

Hp is not the definer of Supercar and yes the NSX was both exotic and a supercar because of what it did back in it's day. What we have nowadays are actually Hypercars and the GTR does indeed belong in that category due to it's performance. People like to change the definition hell my buddy was telling me about a guy claiming the Supra TT was the first modern Japanese supercar. It wasn't.

Last edited:
No need to turn this into another exotic/supercar thread. Like it has been said before, they are only words that are used to describe. However, many motoring authorities have classified the NSX as supercar and exotic material in previous-to-current publications - of course, some publications also contest the gesture. I would say a group consensus is more reliable than some ego-battered posters worried solely about hp.

MoreRPMs obviously knows nothing of the NSX, calling it the "X" in the first place. :tongue:

Lot's of negativity in this thread as usual. Hopefully Honda can find, err, has found the right path among all of this bad energy that haunts them recently.

You're right, WingZ, HP by itself is not the only identifier of a supercar; it has to have broken new technical ground, of which, the NSX did - with its all-aluminum construction. But, that aluminum use by itself is not grounds for labeling it a supercar because the end result was you had a 3000 pound car, with anemic power - relative to the then already 3 and 4 year old supercars... the 959s and F40s, which possessed much more power - and the fact that performance-wise it failed to stand out in even one category relative to the regular sportscars of the early 90s.

Exotic= hand-made, and the NSXs panels were stamped by machine, so technically it's not, although its looks were no doubt exotic.

The NSX had a very special assembly process. "The cars were assembled by approximately 200 of Honda's highest-skilled and most experienced personnel, a team of hand-picked staff with a minimum of ten years assembly experience employed from various other Honda facilities to run the NSX operation." Go search for the video online.

-The aluminum production was a first as far as mass production and assembly was concerned. Hand assembled and painted

-Titanium used in the engines. In the mid 80s (when the NSX was conceived), Ferrari probably did not even know what Titanium was :eek:

-The NSX was the target benchmark when building the Mclaren F1, not Ferrari or Porsche

-NSX's fit, finish, quality and reliability surpassed anything that Ferrari, Lamborghini or any other supercar makers could touch at the time of release. Many of these companies took almost two decades to catch up and are still refusing reliability and practical concerns.

So not only does the NSX look exotic, it does in fact have an exotic assembly process. The NSX was never a hypercar with impractical statements, it is a supercar with exotic origins or simply a sports car with a transverse mid-mounted engine.

-It did not stand out performance wise from the other 90s Japanese supercars, because they were all turbo and proposed to be supercars at the 280 ps capped range. What did you think was going happen when you put 5-6 cars in the same hp range together and see what happened? The feat was that the NSX did it all NA. Compare a factory-installed and sold Comptech supercharged NSX to those Turbo vehicles or better yet, go see what a simple turbo kit can do for the NSX.

FI on the NSX has been proven more reliable than most of the other Turbo vehicles that were designed from the factory.

You're right, WingZ, HP by itself is not the only identifier of a supercar; it has to have broken new technical ground, of which, the NSX did - with its all-aluminum construction. But, that aluminum use by itself is not grounds for labeling it a supercar because the end result was you had a 3000 pound car, with anemic power - relative to the then already 3 and 4 year old supercars... the 959s and F40s, which possessed much more power - and the fact that performance-wise it failed to stand out in even one category relative to the regular sportscars of the early 90s.

Exotic= hand-made, and the NSXs panels were stamped by machine, so technically it's not, although its looks were no doubt exotic.

Well N SPec covered that the car was hand assembled so no need to cover that. As far as the hp being anemic back then it wasn't. F40's and 959s were considered racecars for the street. I'm not sure of your age but if you were an enthusiast back then you'd know that car was not considered week but actually quite powerful.

I completely understand for people just looking back but in comparison tests the the ZR1 then with 375hp which was considered HUGE when it came out. It's 0-60 was 4.9. The NSX was 5.2 with it's "anemic" 270hp. I was not a NSX fan but it was well respected. The 1990 911 Turbo 3.3 six cylinder turbo had 320hp 0-60 5 secs flat. I just wanted you to see that for it's time it wasn't an anemic car and was right there with the heavies of it's day.

mebbe'...

My take...

1983 - 1988: Honda F1 V6

1990: premiere of 1991 NSX - V6

1989 - 1994: Honda F1 V10

1991: premiere of 1992 McLaren F1 - solicited V10 unsuccessfully from Honda

1999 - 2005: Honda F1 V10 - concurrent w/ V6-powered NSX production, thus no successor

2006: testing & eventual premiere of 2007+ HSV-010 - V10 (canceled as road-car due to mid-2008 global economy & F1-exodus)

2011: Honda F1 V6 intro in 2012 for 2013+ Formula One return

2012: 2013 Honda V6-powered/hybrid sports-car purported

Now, will it be a rehashed HSV-010 (ie. front mid-engine GT sports-coupe) or a redone Avengers Tony Stark's ride (ie. rear mid-engine exotic sports-car)? :D

Last edited:
The NSX had a very special assembly process....
It still was not hand-made. Hand assembled (to whatever degree) is not the same as all by hand. The Diablos of the same era, however, were exotic - each body panel beaten and formed by a craftsman. The Lambo, despite a top speed a few miles per hour higher than the produced-at-the-same-time F40, was not a supercar, unlike the Ferrari. Its power output alone may have placed it in that echelon, but the lack of all other attributes nullified that fact.

As far as the hp being anemic back then it wasn't. F40's and 959s were considered racecars for the street. I'm not sure of your age but if you were an enthusiast back then you'd know that car was not considered week but actually quite powerful.
F40s & 959s were supercars then . . . . . the halo cars for their manufacturers AND the highest technology not only in their respective marques, but out of all the world's sportscars.

All this crap about hypercars, and ultracars, and super duper cars are nothing but idiotic labels tacked onto whatever by some dweeb kids and/or "journalists" looking to sell a million copies of their car rag a month.

A sportscar is either exotic or not. And those like F40, Enzo, Carrera GT, Veyron, etc are also supercars.

I completely understand for people just looking back but in comparison tests the the ZR1 then with 375hp which was considered HUGE when it came out. It's 0-60 was 4.9. The NSX was 5.2 with it's "anemic" 270hp. I was not a NSX fan but it was well respected. The 1990 911 Turbo 3.3 six cylinder turbo had 320hp 0-60 5 secs flat. I just wanted you to see that for it's time it wasn't an anemic car and was right there with the heavies of it's day.
As an enthusiast you should know that measurements up to 60 only tell a small portion of the story. Take the current 911 turbo w/PDK - it beats a Veyron to 60. What happens 5 seconds later, 10 seconds later? Yeah, the Porsche is buslengths behind....and growing smaller in the Bugatti's mirror. Same thing with the NSX vs the ZR-1 you brought up - close race to 60, but what about to 150?

You mentioned Japanese supercars in another post, but there is only one car from that country that qualifies as such - it would have to be the R390GT1. The RX-7s, 300ZXs, Supras are not and never will be supercars, nor are they exotics.

tacked onto whatever by some dweeb kids and/or "journalists" looking to sell a million copies of their car rag a month.

Lol, easy fellow, I think you would be qualified as the former.

I think your diehard bench racing ideologies have merit, but again, a group consensus is more reliable than a single poser. Your point of view sounds like you are compensating for something, cause I am pretty sure you have not owned any of these cars you have mentioned :rolleyes:

Before this is reall blown into another supercar/exotic thread... Either way, many NSX owners (including me) would be completely fine with the classification of "simply a sports car with a transverse mid-mounted engine."

The F40 is simply a sports car with a big wing. The Bugatti is a GT that has obscene amounts of inefficiencies to achieve 1000 HP :wink:

MoreRPMs, what makes you an expert on what a supercar or exotic is over the last 20 years of car journalists?

MoreRPMs, what makes you an expert on what a supercar or exotic is over the last 20 years of car journalists?
First, the journalists who label exotics and supercars wrongly should lose all credibility. Second, I have no bias - to me a duck is a duck and a spade is a spade. You don't have to take my word for it, talk to the experts. hint: not all journalists are experts, ask someone like Horacio Pagani. And lastly, this bickering over exotics-or-not is rather dumb.

I wasn't aware that ownership of a supercar is the only prerequisite to be able to label one as such, ma'am.

Awwwww, did I hit a soft spot? Lol. If you are ASSuming to be an authority on supercars, but you don't own any of these cars, that would make you a poser. I thought I was a supercar expert too, back when I was about 16 browsing supercars.net. You don't own these cars and you bash publishers, so where did you get your info or how can you take a justified stance? How are you relevant?

I mean did you engineer or design any of these vehicles? :confused: I know there are mechanics who drive lemons and stylist who generally appear unappealing :smile: So this must be the case here for you... Or did you read stats for these cars during slow work days or while you were marinating on the porcelain throne? Cause again, it appears you would fall in the former category of dweeb that you have presented - daydreaming from your bench, wishing to own or perhaps even drive one of these internet/magazine legends day.

Not that it is relevant, but I am curious to know what a troll drives?

So who's going to the Detroit Auto Show?

We expect hundreds of Hi-Res pictures and gory details

Back