• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory stereo IPod integration, Plug-n-Play - GromAudio

very cool. Is there any way to include a smartenna with this setup?

Hi

I did not think about the Smartenna. I have one and would really like to have the antenna go down when I use the Ipod.

Regards

I just installed my GROM unit behind the driver's seat. Thanks for all of the pictures/instructions! I'm not sure if things changed in the '95's but I wasn't able to fit the GROM box on top of the ECU. The GROM box wouldn't clear when I tried to install the top back panel. I was able to fit toe box into a space to the left of the ECU. Also, my 8-pin CD changer connector was the top most cable and not the second one as shown in the pics.

I ran the ipod cable under the center speaker panel as well as the center console panel. I had the wire come out where the e-brake is and I can keep my iPhone in the ashtray or the tray right in front of the coin tray.

Also, the GROM unit doesn't work with the Smartenna. For some reason the antenna would keep going up and down when connected with the GROM box. I just unplugged the antenna since I don't listen to the radio anyway.

I just installed my GROM unit behind the driver's seat. Thanks for all of the pictures/instructions! I'm not sure if things changed in the '95's but I wasn't able to fit the GROM box on top of the ECU. The GROM box wouldn't clear when I tried to install the top back panel. I was able to fit toe box into a space to the left of the ECU. Also, my 8-pin CD changer connector was the top most cable and not the second one as shown in the pics.

I ran the ipod cable under the center speaker panel as well as the center console panel. I had the wire come out where the e-brake is and I can keep my iPhone in the ashtray or the tray right in front of the coin tray.

Also, the GROM unit doesn't work with the Smartenna. For some reason the antenna would keep going up and down when connected with the GROM box. I just unplugged the antenna since I don't listen to the radio anyway.

Great idea. Thanks for the info. May I ask how you disconnected the antenna? Was it though the trunk area? From what I'm hearing, you'll need to connect the Adapter in the truck where the CD player is in order for the smartenna.

Last edited:
Great idea. Thanks for the info. May I ask how you disconnected the antenna? Was it though the trunk area?

Yup....I disconnected the gray clip that is located behind the carpet right next to the antenna unit.

In order for the GROM unit to work with the Smartenna, the Grom would need to be connected the same as the CD deck in the trunk. By connecting the GROM unit behind the driver's seat, you have phisically disconnected the Smartenna from the circuit.

Has anyone tried the GROM unit connected in the trunk in order for the Smartenna to sense the GROM?

I have the GROM unit and placed it in the truck where the CD changer was and the unit works perfectly with the smart antenna. I now have to get longer wire so it can have the IPOD inside the console.

In order for the GROM unit to work with the Smartenna, the Grom would need to be connected the same as the CD deck in the trunk. By connecting the GROM unit behind the driver's seat, you have phisically disconnected the Smartenna from the circuit.

Has anyone tried the GROM unit connected in the trunk in order for the Smartenna to sense the GROM?

That makes perfect sense. I guess the challenge mounting the unit in the trunk is getting a longer cable made to route back inside the car.

That makes perfect sense. I guess the challenge mounting the unit in the trunk is getting a longer cable made to route back inside the car.

You could also extend the wires on the Smartenna to the back of the drivers seat. You just need to intercept DIN cable at the correct location with the Smartenna adapter.

Hi

I just paid through paypal for this item on Ebay. I sent a link to this thread. I am pretty sure I will get the correct cable for it. I also said I wanted the black Ipod cable.

I have a couple of Ipod Nano's now. And I will probably buy a Ipod Classic with a 160gb disc soon.

Then when I find the money I will buy a Kenwood Double din unit which I will then hook the Ipod's to.

I will, by using the Grom, have the Ipod going and have good sound as the speakers will be exchanged even though the HU is not changed. And then go with the Kenwood and have Ipod video on the double din when the time comes with the Ipod classic.

I will probably unhook the antenna as I will probably only use the Ipod. But if I feel the strong urge to listen to the radio I could hook up the cable for it again. I may build some sort of quick switch solution in the trunk. Just a switch which is accessible is not hard to make.

Regards

This iPod adapter is great for folks without a CD changer like myself. I bought a stock CD changer but didn't have too much luck getting it going. Thanks to Hapa88 for introducing this product and NSX GT for the great instruction. I put my iPod in the trunk for now since the 8-pin CD changer cable is right there. I just didn't realize how good my bose system was until today, it's so clear, cause I used to play my iPod through FM transmitter with radio sound quality and some intermittent static. This iPod adapter is definitely one of the most cost effective upgrades beside the Type-R chassis bars.:smile:

attachment.php

attachment.php

My received my ipod thing and can't wait to try it out. I should have it installed tomorrow. :biggrin: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Make sure you have the 8-pin vehicle adapter cable, instead of the square MBUS adapter, before you take apart the inside of your car. I made that mistake and am now waiting on an exchange.

Okay I just installed the Grom unit and it works perfectly with my smart antenna. I purchased 10ft minidin8 male to minidin8 female extension. Now your Grom unit can stay in your trunk and attach to the CD outlet, then I routed the 10ft extension through the engine compartment to the back of the seats and then the ipod connector attaches to the extension and comes out to the middle console. I'll try to take pictures later. now I can hook up my Ipod in the middle console unlike the picture above with the Ipod in the trunk. I have 2 more 10ft extension if anyone wants to buy it. first come first serve. $8+shipping. pm me if your interested.

Okay I just installed the Grom unit and it works perfectly with my smart antenna. I purchased 10ft minidin8 male to minidin8 female extension. Now your Grom unit can stay in your trunk and attach to the CD outlet, then I routed the 10ft extension through the engine compartment to the back of the seats and then the ipod connector attaches to the extension and comes out to the middle console. I'll try to take pictures later. now I can hook up my Ipod in the middle console unlike the picture above with the Ipod in the trunk. I have 2 more 10ft extension if anyone wants to buy it. first come first serve. $8+shipping. pm me if your interested.
Sounds cool. Was it pretty easy and straightforward to find a hole and route the extension through the firewall?

Hi

I will probably unhook the antenna as I will probably only use the Ipod. But if I feel the strong urge to listen to the radio I could hook up the cable for it again. I may build some sort of quick switch solution in the trunk. Just a switch which is accessible is not hard to make.

Regards

Martin,
Some of us put a switch under the dash that turns the antenna off (won't raise). Some stations come in with the antenna down, if not just flip the switch and it raises.

start on post #23
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19322

Sounds cool. Was it pretty easy and straightforward to find a hole and route the extension through the firewall?

Very easy. I routed the wire from the left side of the trunk (that's where my CD changer was) across the right side of the trunk tucked underneath the carpet and there is a large gromet that goes behind the right side of the trunk to the engine compartment then the wire goes through another large gromet behind the passenger seat and then I routed it to the center console. the 10 ft extension is plenty long enough.

Martin,
Some of us put a switch under the dash that turns the antenna off (won't raise). Some stations come in with the antenna down, if not just flip the switch and it raises.

start on post #23
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19322

That's a good tip too. I was thinking about getting the 4 switch button that goes in place of the coin tray and hook up the antenna and the JDM fog lights switches to it.

My grom ipod intergration kit is the best 80 bucks i have spent. I was going to upgrade my radio and speakers, but after this install my speakers sound great. I love this!

a few questions.... does this unit CHARGE the ipod when the ipod is plugged in to the car???

does anyone have the exact part number for the unit to order??

which e-bay seller is it who is selling the correct unit???

how long of an extention cable to i need to have the ipod in the center counsel and do you know the part number for it...

thank...dave

Hi

I can't answer all your questions.

Yes the unit charges that Ipod when plugged in. I have used it this weekend and it works good. My speakers are destoroyed so the sound quality is bad. But that is not the Grom adapters fault.

I have not seen if the supplied cable is long enough.

My message through Ebay was for this: IPod Adapter Digital Interface for Honda / Acura #MBUSI with eBay item #380017332740.

Here is the mail I sent to Grom after I got a reply that I had "won it":

"GROMAudio" [email protected]

Hi

I have a 1991 Honda/Acura NSX. The adapter for the 1992 works with the 1991 as the stereo is the same.

You can read all about the discussion on the web here about your adapter:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102592

According to Adrian in the first post I need a 8 pin circular plug instead of the one that comes in the kit.

I also want the black ipod cord. I will probably mount the Grom unit behind the seats.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

--
Martin Bergvill
Narvik, Norway"

So do you lose the use of the CD player with these options? Any way to have both?

So do you lose the use of the CD player with these options? Any way to have both?

Yes you lose the CD player with this option. I don't know of a way to have both, but who needs it when you can just MP3 your CDs and put them on your IPod! Come into the 21st century and ditch those CDs!

Clarification please

Please clarify for us non Pod owners: The volume control and track/ff/rew controls work. Nothing else, right? So we put say 10-50 songs on each of six "albums", but we need to use the Pod to switch between these albums, right? So you would have to shuttle thru the 50 songs to find a particular track, right? TIA.

Back