• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally! My full Factor X FX500 Turbo Review

Ok for those of you who have been following my story know that ever since I test drove the Factor X FX 400 turbo setup, I’ve been itching to get one myself. Well after many weeks, I’ve finally got my NSX back from Factor X and had the chance to put my thoughts down. I’ve actually had it for a few weeks now but it’s really hard to sit down and write when I know I could be driving my NSX. :biggrin:

First off, if you have noticed (or not noticed) by now, I say that it’s my FX500 review and not FX400. Well to make a long story short, when all was said and done, I ended up getting a FX500. Unfortunately it was piece by piece, which delayed the entire process weeks. If I had known that from the start I should have just gone for the FX500 from the beginning.

12272IMG_1467-med.JPG

12272IMG_1465-med.JPG

12272IMG_1464-med.JPG

The cool thing about the FX turbo setup is that it is semi custom, which means a lot of it was custom built for my car and some of it even had my input on how I wanted it. The reason I point this out is that each FX turbo system are unique in their own way and mine is no different. The torque and power characteristics as well as sound are completely different than any other Factor X turbo NSX’s I’ve been around.

So what was done?

FX500 Turbo setup
Air-to-air intercooler
HKS F-Con EMS
Re-sleeved engine block
New forged pistons
Custom intake and exhaust
Upgraded fuel system
Increased capacity oil pan
Among many other things

The results?

About 410-415 whp and about 360 ft-lbs. of torque. The boost comes on really early, at about 3,000 RPMS and is at full boost by 3,500 RPMS. Right now we are in the initial test tune period. Mikey has limited me to just 8lbs of boost and got real conservative with the engine mapping as to allow me to get used to the car first before wrapping myself around a tree. One thing he did intentionally was to have the torque drop off gradually so that if I were to mash the accelerator and break the rear end loose, it would self correct itself even though I’m still flooring it. A very nice safety feature that’s saved my butt once or twice.

Here’s “a” dyno result, but not the best run. This was after several runs and the intercooler and engine was just bogging in the heat (check the ambient temp). Mikely left the other dyno runs at some “restaurant" (*cough, cough* strip club) that showed closer to the actual HP. But the thing to note is take a look how early and flat the torque curve runs. The thing is a torque monster, it is way higher than any of the other Factor X turbo cars at 8 lbs. of boost, and its torque to HP ratio is higher than any FI NSX I’ve seen. Keep in mind this is de-tuned for my safety so in all reality it could probably do around 370 ft-lbs. of torque at about 8 lbs. of boost. I can’t even imagine where it will be at the full 12 lbs. of boost we hope to eventually get.

12272nsx_turbo_dyno-med.JPG

So how does all this torque feel and how does it drive?
Well it goes without saying that the car really hauls. But the interesting thing is that since the torque kicks in early and stays flat the car almost (almost!) feels more like a big block V8 than a high revving V6. I don’t bother downshifting because the car pulls a lot harder once I can enter the torque band. Once there, I just mash the pedal and get nearly 5000 RPMs of solid pull.

The best part about the car is the sound. The first comment from everyone who’s seen the car says this car sounds insane. It’s just soooo unique and distinctive. It’s like a cross between a motorcycle, F1 car and a jet plane. It’s got a rumble of a motorcycle, the high whine of the F1 and whooshing of a jet plane when the turbo spools up.

Here are some vids to get you and idea of how it sounds, although my crappy camcorder doesn’t do it justice.

This one is from inside the car. The “dudda-dudda-dudda” sound is I believe the wastegate. What you can’t hear is the blowoff valve, which is really loud ordinarily but just didn’t come out well. It’s got a very distinctive “wah-pish” sound, just like the sound you make when you are trying to say your buddy is being P-whipped by his girlfriend (does small whipping motion). You might be able to hear the intake sucking in the first gear before the wind noise drowns it out.

This second clip is of an exterior drive by. Here you get a better idea of what it sounds like. And what other people hear when I'm driving by them. In the first run as I pass the camera, you'll hear the blowoff valve. You can really see the back end squat and the front end lurch, especially in the first gear, with all that torque (like a big block muscle car.) Time to get stiffer shocks, the Type-S's aren't cuttin it anymore! :tongue:

In this last vid, I tried to do a pull very close to the camcorder and here you can hear the turbo spooling sound better. As I pass the camera, you’ll hear a whooshing sound, similar to a jet plane. I think that’s the coolest sound in the world.

Overall, I’m extremely happy with the setup. I’ve got about 150 miles on it so far and it’s held up great. I think I’m going to keep it at it current setting for now as the tires, brakes and suspension can't handle much more anyway. All of them have already been upgraded, but I need something more aggressive. Once I upgrade those, we’ll go in for a second tune where we’ll boost up the press and flatten out the torque curve. My end goal is to get around 500 whp with about 420 ft-lbs of torque.

Special thanks to Mikey, Ken, Danny, Fez, Adrian, J, Ed (for the camera work), and Paul for waiting so patiently! :smile:

Hey Neighbor,

That's what I call "HAULING". I heard reports of flash flood warnings around Town Center circle. What have you been doing?

Many congratulations. If you've listened to Mikey or me, we both could have had our FX500 a month ago .....:mad:...... and if you haven't heard, my Blue Beast was released from captivity a few days ago. We'll both be living in lake front property pretty soon ....... should we name it Town Center Lake? .....:biggrin:

Best Regards
Paul

What is the approximate cost please? I hope you don't consider this an innapropriate question. But it would be nice to compare to competing systems.
Also is there any type of warranty offered and if so what are the details?

Thanks!

Juice said:
I would like to point out that any post about Mikey intrinsically contains a strip club reference. Just an observation.

Funny you mention that... Paul's NSX was a rolling strip club this weekend at the hill! B, you have to give Mikey or Paul a call:)

It does seem awesome: The numbers. The sound. I love it.

Lucky b@stards who 1) have nearby access to guys like this and 2) who dont need to smog their cars.

Hoover damn you! ;)

Sounds very nice. Dyno looks good also. Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Rob

That's the most wicked sounding NSX I've ever heard :eek: Very nice!

Congrats! :biggrin: Sounds wicked!

Congratulations - you must be in 7th heaven on the overall results. :biggrin:

This is going to sound critical (or sour grapes maybe?) - it's not meant to be, just an honest observation/question about your comment:

Vega$ NSX said:
...... its torque to HP ratio is higher than any FI NSX I’ve seen......

Don't really understand (or agree) with this comment though -
HP is a direct product of Torque and directly proportional to rpm, therefor the 'ratio' will vary throughout the rev range by that multiplier.

HP = Torque * RPM / 5,252
(even accounting for drivetrain losses, these are likely to be similar anyway for different cars, boosted or otherwise)

So at what rpm are you making the comment about the ratio? Clearly it will be a direct multiplier based on the engine speed and that ratio will be greatest at max rpm (assuming a 'flat' torque curve). With your own chart, even with torque dropping off from about 5600 to redline, the ratio is still increasing - why? because of the rpm factor in the equation.

Are you considering your torque to horsepower ratio at peak (hp, torque, or rpm) or ???
You could compare your peak torque or peak horsepower with someone else's and you would get a completely different ratio between them anyway because of the (presumably) different rpm multiplier alone, so you can only make a 'ratio' comparison at any given rpm.

Point in case - see this chart - (this was the first thread I opened looking for a dyno graph incidentally) - look at where the ratio is "1" - same point as on your chart, ~ 5200 rpm.

This one also "1" at ~ 5200 rpm; even this one, where at first glance it appears that it crosses lower, when you actually adjust for the scale values, also is "1" at ~ 5200

Last edited:
car looks and sounds great!
One idea about the comment "The “dudda-dudda-dudda” sound is I believe the wastegate"
The waste gate is boost activated and opens ONLY at max boost programmed by the ecu and controlled by a selenoid. The waste gate does not open between shifts. The only sound from the blowoff should be WHOOOOOOSH.
I had this when I first got my car back and it is probably compressor surge. We were able to significantly reduce this by putting a softer spring in the blowoff(or dialing it down if adjustable) thus allowing it to open earlier (at lower relative vacuum). Depending on the blowoff valve placement and intercooler resistance, the intercooler can effectivley divide the charge pipe into 2 segments. If the blow off valve is between the intercooler and the throttle body, it will(may) decompress that portion of the circuit, while the turbo to intercooler portion takes longer to decompress through the resistance of the aftercooler and "bounces " charge off the intercooler and back through the turbo creating the compressor surge sound for a brief moment until charge is neutralized through the intercooler..

D'Ecosse said:
Don't really understand (or agree) with this comment though -
HP is a direct product of Torque and directly proportional to rpm, therefor the 'ratio' will vary throughout the rev range by that multiplier.

Yes, I do understand the relationship between torque and horsepower as I am a mechanical engineer by trade and spent 4 years on clown college (aka mechanical engineering school). :biggrin:

I guess I should have clarified my statement a bit more. The relationship I was referring to was PEAK torque and PEAK horsepower and the ratio between the two. Each car has a different ratio; take the three dyno runs you've pointed out.

Dyno #1 330 torque / 430 hp = 0.767 ratio
Dyno #2 380 torque / 404 hp = 0.940 ratio
Dyno #3 240 torque / 336 hp = 0.714 ratio
My NSX 350 torque / 405 hp = 0.864 ratio

So you can see that my car has quite a bit of peak torque relative to the peak horsepower. From what I've seen, most FI NSX have ratios closer to the Dyno #1 and Dyno #2 range. (Dyno #2 looks more like a big block large displacement V8 or V10 and not an NSX) I've never seen anything in my ratio from an FI NSX or any NSX for that matter (including the all-motor 3.8L monster SOS put out and Armando's newly revamped boosted beast.)

Now I do understand that is a non-sensical number and doesn't have much practical meaning (it's especially useless without the RPM at which it occurs), but it does point (or at least underlines) how torquey the car really is. I'm so used to seeing really high HPs dynos but with a relatively low torque numbers, which on an NSX is probably preferable. However, I was just trying to highlight something that I've noticed was different. Not better, just different.

WOODY said:
The waste gate is boost activated and opens ONLY at max boost programmed by the ecu and controlled by a selenoid..
If it is wastegate it is ultra quiet:smile: , I have ran open wastegate with Tial 38mm. That was 747 loud, I had the dump tube plumbed into the downpipe a few days after, couldn't live with open wastegate. It was activated by the wastegate spring, no boost controllers were used. It sounded the same as this NSX with open wastegate in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPreX9uOBc

Vega$ NSX said:
I've never seen anything in my ratio from an FI NSX or any NSX for that matter...
I don't think you were a forum member when Gerry posted his dyno. It was in the ratio neighborhood of your #2 dyno. Something like 490 ft/lb and 500 hp if I remember right. Nontheless, congrats. Car sounds wicked.:smile:

KGP said:
I don't think you were a forum member when Gerry posted his dyno. It was in the ratio neighborhood of your #2 dyno. Something like 490 ft/lb and 500 hp if I remember right. Nontheless, congrats. Car sounds wicked.:smile:

Ahh, yes. I think I was just a fledgling newbie at the time. :smile: I had heard about Gerry's infamous ride but I didn't (and still don't) know much about it. That's an insane amount of torque! So that begs the question, which is better for the NSX (taking into account layout, gearing, weight, etc.) higher HP, lower torque or higher torque and lower HP?

>One thing he did intentionally was to have the torque drop off gradually so that if I were to mash the accelerator and break the rear end loose, it would self correct itself even though I’m still flooring it. A very nice safety feature that’s saved my butt once or twice.<

Congrats on your new ride! I'm not so sure the drop in the torque at upper rpms was all that intentional. The FX 500 torque also drops as well on the photo gallery dyno plot. In reality, you are trading earlier spool up for lesser upper end hp and torque. Very impressive still.

Regards,

Danny

lowellhigh79 said:
>One thing he did intentionally was to have the torque drop off gradually so that if I were to mash the accelerator and break the rear end loose, it would self correct itself even though I’m still flooring it. A very nice safety feature that’s saved my butt once or twice.<

Congrats on your new ride! I'm not so sure the drop in the torque at upper rpms was all that intentional. The FX 500 torque also drops as well on the photo gallery dyno plot. In reality, you are trading earlier spool up for lesser upper end hp and torque. Very impressive still.

Regards,

Danny

You are completely right on the whole give and take characteristics of turbos. But in this particular case the drop off in torque was actually intentional. If you look at the hp graph you can see where timing was being pulled and the a/f was richened up from 7k on. This is not to say that the overall curve would change that dramatically, perhaps 15-20ftlbs. This is one of the reasons we would have loved to seen a complete dyno plot by Gerry's Turbo NSX. At first glance the plot posted looks incredibly flat but when you look closely it only represents a few thousand rpms in the band. Best thing to do is take it out to the dragstrip and see what the car traps to determine the cars true power.

Vega$ NSX said:
...Now I do understand that is a non-sensical number and doesn't have much practical meaning (it's especially useless without the RPM at which it occurs)....
I should just quit right here. :biggrin:

OK - how about this - your peak hp is artificially low because your tuner detuned the top end; what is going to happen to your ratio if/when the torque curve is flattened more at the higher rpm (more torque is better, right?) Yup, your peak hp will go up and your ratio will fall - even though the performance will be better.

Conversely if the other tuners in the example quoted did the same thing as yours & detuned their top end for lower peak hp, their ratio will also get higher.

So basically, it's a completely nonsense statistic. :tongue:

Back