• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally! My full Factor X FX500 Turbo Review

D'Ecosse said:
I should just quit right here. :biggrin:

OK - how about this - your peak hp is artificially low because your tuner detuned the top end; what is going to happen to your ratio if/when the torque curve is flattened more at the higher rpm (more torque is better, right?) Yup, your peak hp will go up and your ratio will fall - even though the performance will be better.

Conversely if the other tuners in the example quoted did the same thing as yours & detuned their top end for lower peak hp, their ratio will also get higher.

So basically, it's a completely nonsense statistic. :tongue:

Haha, I still stand by my original post in that while it may not be statistically valuable, in the context of what I was trying to describe, I think it does help with the overall picture.

But nonethess, I think you're way too awesome and I respect you tons and you've help me out on so many occasions, I totally give in. I'll agree whole-heartedly. :biggrin:

I'm not worthy!!! *bows down to Ken* :biggrin: :tongue:

your NSX sounds a lot different from a lot of the usual ones, even some with turbo FI. One thing I noticed is the pitch of the engine; sounds like they disabled/got rid of the V-Tec timing. Could it be that, or the custom exhaust? I really like that sound a lot.

Sounds like you broke the sound barrier at the end of the second one.:tongue:

Vega$ NSX said:
Ahh, yes. I think I was just a fledgling newbie at the time. :smile: I had heard about Gerry's infamous ride but I didn't (and still don't) know much about it. That's an insane amount of torque! So that begs the question, which is better for the NSX (taking into account layout, gearing, weight, etc.) higher HP, lower torque or higher torque and lower HP?

Congratulations!! That is a great set-up with great numbers!

I am intrigued by your question: "Which is Better"
Higher HP with Lower Torque or Lower HP with Higher Torque.
How would one determine the " best" balance point for Max acceleration; use 1/4 mile speed and times as the determinate?
I am meeting with Woody tonight, who's NSX has well in excess of 400 ft lbs of torque. I will ask how they determined where to set the torque and HP curves and let you know.

Bob,

I would be very curious to see what Woody has to say. Please do keep up informed! :smile:

Hoops7k,

I have Comptech Headers and my typical wheels are SSR GT3s, but the ones on my car now are Volk CE28 that were specially powder coated black on loan from Factor X. They are much, much lighter than my SSR GT3's.

Vega$ NSX said:
Bob,

I would be very curious to see what Woody has to say. Please do keep up informed! :smile:

Hoops7k,

I have Comptech Headers and my typical wheels are SSR GT3s, but the ones on my car now are Volk CE28 that were specially powder coated black on loan from Factor X. They are much, much lighter than my SSR GT3's.
What kind of clutch did you use.I remember factorx saying that they like the Exedy??

hoops7k said:
What kind of clutch did you use.I remember factorx saying that they like the Exedy??

Yes, Factor X does like Exedy clutch and when I initally test drove the FX400 it had one on there. It was nice but too grabby for me. I kept stalling the car out and I would have to ride the clutch a bit in first gear just to get it to catch. But once it did, it held like a champ. I opted for the RPS clutch (Stage 1) that I got from Science of Speed. The clutch is very heavy to push in (your left leg will get a good workout) but the catch point and the way it grabs isn't too far off from stock feel (which I though was fantastic to begin with). SOS thought I would be fine with the Stage 1 because it's good to about 450 ft-lbs. of torque.

Vega$ NSX said:
Yes, Factor X does like Exedy clutch and when I initally test drove the FX400 it had one on there. It was nice but too grabby for me. I kept stalling the car out and I would have to ride the clutch a bit in first gear just to get it to catch. But once it did, it held like a champ. I opted for the RPS clutch (Stage 1) that I got from Science of Speed. The clutch is very heavy to push in (your left leg will get a good workout) but the catch point and the way it grabs isn't too far off from stock feel (which I though was fantastic to begin with). SOS thought I would be fine with the Stage 1 because it's good to about 450 ft-lbs. of torque.
Thanks for all the great info I am coming to Vegas in a week and I am going to call factor x to see if I can come and get a ride in fx500.I would like to bring my car out there to have this done in a couple of weeks or so.

nsxsupra said:
Can you please do me a favor, once you switch back to the SSR GT3s, can you check and see if there is any noticeable difference.

I just went from 21lb 245/40/17 rear tires to a new pair of fresh quite a bit heavier 255/40/17 tires. The OD is only .3" higher, weights approximately 3~4lbs more per tire. I am not sure if it is placebo effect, but it sucked.

When I had my N/A engine setup (I/H/E) I noticed a very slight difference in performance when I switched from the lighter SSR Integral A2's to the heavier SSR GT3s. It's true what they say about unspring weight. However, it's very slight. It's very much like having a passenger in the car. It's hardly noticable but if you really know your car, you can ever so slightly tell.

However, I don't think it will be the case now. With significantly more power, small additions in weight, won't have a noticable affect. The hp/lbs ratio at 240 whp is much more noticable than at 415. I'm pretty sure a few dozen pounds of unspring weight won't be detectable on the good old but dyno. I know I don't notice a lick of difference in performance with or without a passenger since getting the turbo installed.

hoops7k said:
Thanks for all the great info I am coming to Vegas in a week and I am going to call factor x to see if I can come and get a ride in fx500.I would like to bring my car out there to have this done in a couple of weeks or so.

Good luck! Much easier said than done. They can be quite elusive! I suggest starting your search at Seamless (strip club closest to their shop.) :biggrin:

Vega$ NSX said:
However, I don't think it will be the case now. With significantly more power, small additions in weight, won't have a noticable affect. The hp/lbs ratio at 240 whp is much more noticable than at 415. I'm pretty sure a few dozen pounds of unspring weight won't be detectable on the good old but dyno. I know I don't notice a lick of difference in performance with or without a passenger since getting the turbo installed.
Yes, that is true, with your power to weight ratio, there is likely to be zero effect. The GT3 wheels are really hot looking wheels.

In my case, it is probably mostly placebo effect, I like and wish to believe that. Honestly doesn't feel good for me. In my case the weight gain is 100% from the new larger tires at the very outer radius. This is from half worn 245/40/17 tire to brand new 255/40/17tires.

I estimate approximately 4~5lbs per tires. Some said take that x 2, while other say 6.5~8 for weight gains at very outer radius. It felt more like 6.5~8x weight gain.

If possible can please let me know if you felt anything once you put the wheels back on, especially rolling off the line from a stop.

Just dyno before and after your wheel and/or tire change, perferably on the same day (not practical, but will be the most accurate). My friend also felt slower in his Porsche gt2 with the 600 hp setup after he changed from the stock wheels to I-forged rims with the same tires.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
hoops7k said:

If you are coming down to Vegas please call well in advance (days not hours:)) to schedule an appointment. This is definetly the busy time of year and there are many events coming up. So many times it is difficult to accomadate our fellow NSXers.

This past week we were at Bonneville for Speedweek where we broke the landspeed record with Progress Suspension. 203mph!!! It looks like we may enter the NSX next year:)

How about not going in for a test drive/ride, but rather a few minutes to discuss costs and what's involved and included? I'm moving back to california from colorado and may either go through Reno or the traditional way of L.V. If I go the L.V. way, I'd like to swing on by if possible. I say no longer than.... 15 minutes or so.

KooLaid said:
How about not going in for a test drive/ride, but rather a few minutes to discuss costs and what's involved and included? I'm moving back to california from colorado and may either go through Reno or the traditional way of L.V. If I go the L.V. way, I'd like to swing on by if possible. I say no longer than.... 15 minutes or so.

I'm sure we can do both as long as it is scheduled in advance and we do not have any commitments. Hopefully you are coming in the next month as we have a pretty special NSX race car in the shop being rebuilt. We are also doing some more modifications to our FX500 before the Time Attack Finals.

Bob Kenney said:
Congratulations!! That is a great set-up with great numbers!

I am intrigued by your question: "Which is Better"
Higher HP with Lower Torque or Lower HP with Higher Torque.
How would one determine the " best" balance point for Max acceleration; use 1/4 mile speed and times as the determinate?
I am meeting with Woody tonight, who's NSX has well in excess of 400 ft lbs of torque. I will ask how they determined where to set the torque and HP curves and let you know.

Don't have any hard facts but make sure your suspension and tires can handle all those torque. Once you experience that traction breaker at 3rd gear at highway speed, you'll have a whole new outlook towards high torque.

Vegas$ NSX has a lot of mid-range torque. Knowing his car, he can smoke his tires at will. But correct me if I'm wrong, high HP usually translate to high trap speed. ET is much more driver and track dependent.

Best Regards
Paul

Esprit1 said:
Don't have any hard facts but make sure your suspension and tires can handle all those torque. Once you experience that traction breaker at 3rd gear at highway speed, you'll have a whole new outlook towards high torque.

Vegas$ NSX has a lot of mid-range torque. Knowing his car, he can smoke his tires at will. But correct me if I'm wrong, high HP usually translate to high trap speed. ET is much more driver and track dependent.

Best Regards
Paul

Paul,

I got a good look at your car last Friday and I LOVE the Cantrell fenders !

brandonson said:
Paul,

Brandonson,

It was great to meet you in person. Please let me know if you want to move foward with your engine project and I can reserve a slot for you.

Factor X Motorsports said:
Brandonson,

It was great to meet you in person. Please let me know if you want to move foward with your engine project and I can reserve a slot for you.

I will let you know. BTW, I liked Seamless better than Sapphires !!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

brandonson said:
Paul,

Brandonson,

Thanks. I just wish the monkeys that put them on weren't monkeys......... I'm not very happy with the fit and finish........ :frown:

Best Regards
Paul

nsxsupra said:
Yes, that is true, with your power to weight ratio, there is likely to be zero effect. The GT3 wheels are really hot looking wheels.

In my case, it is probably mostly placebo effect, I like and wish to believe that. Honestly doesn't feel good for me. In my case the weight gain is 100% from the new larger tires at the very outer radius. This is from half worn 245/40/17 tire to brand new 255/40/17tires.

I estimate approximately 4~5lbs per tires. Some said take that x 2, while other say 6.5~8 for weight gains at very outer radius. It felt more like 6.5~8x weight gain.

If possible can please let me know if you felt anything once you put the wheels back on, especially rolling off the line from a stop.

Ok, so I put the SSR GT3's back one (sigh, I miss the all black Voks already) and I didn't notice any change according to my butt dyno. I did about 9 runs, 3 from a stop, 3 from a slow roll, and 3 at about 60 and I couldn't tell a difference at all. I did, however, notice my tires don't stick nearly as well as they did with the BFG's and it was easier to break the tires loose even in third gear.

Back