• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First ride after tune

Well I wanted 500RWHP now I got it but cannot use it. I took the car out for a spin today and wanted to try out the 3 boost setting. The first low boost is ok 300 at the wheels was a little slow. So I stepped it up to high boost. WOW I could not keep the car straight at all every time the boost came in I was sideways. That’s the 511 RWHP so I put it in the 400RWHP mode and it was something I could hold with only a little wheel spin and sideways. Now I have a couple off questions. My car is lowered about 1" with the Bilstein shock drop. Do I need a camber kit to get my wheels flat they are towed in and this may be part of my problem.
Thanks

Ken

We just tuned a 500hp monster here and it resulted the same. We did the camber adjustment, corner balance and put her on an alignment machine. This kept her more stable on straight line runs. 500hp to the wheels is a different feeling. Safety first! :smile:

I forgot I did change my wheels from 16 17 to 17 18 and went 285's on the rear. Maybe the combo is throwing things off to much? Do I need a camber kit? Thanks

Ken,

Part of the problem is the weather. Your tires will not hook up in sub 65 degree temps. Once summer comes around you will find that your car has much better traction due to warmer tires and increased charge temps.

Ken,

Part of the problem is the weather. Your tires will not hook up in sub 65 degree temps. Once summer comes around you will find that your car has much better traction due to warmer tires and increased charge temps.

+1. Camber isn't going to change much, except it will hurt your cornering. Sticky tires and warm temps will make the difference.

BTW: What tires are you running?

Last edited:
Ken,

+2

With 500+ RWHP, I put my car sideways at 70 mph in cool weather with 275 rears (3rd gear). More recently at 600+ rwhp this summer with the same tires, they hook up without major issues in 3rd gear.

As others have said, better tires and warmer weather will solve the problem. When it is less than 40 degrees it can be dangerous because you can not keep heat in the tires.

I have the ATS LSD with 4:23 did not help. So my big question is do I need a rear camber kit to get closer on the alinment?
Thanks

what tire ? I think you should wait till temps increase before you start to fiddle with camber.

Lower you rear tires pressures and get something like the star specs. Still with no traction control (plus the NSX one sucks anyway) you are going to have to learn to modulate with your left foot esp in 1st gear. The ZR1 and Z06 have this problem with all the electronic aids turned off as well.

Check your alignment too. I had a cv boot redone and my toe in on the left was increased (by accident) to excessive levels when compared to the right. With "only" 315rwhp (and 4.235 R&P) every time I went WOT the car was torquing sideways.

You may also have to step up to a 10.5 or 11 inch rear wheel and 305s plus go back to the 4.06 R&P. If I roll on hard from 3K in 1st gear, I'm to 8K in about 1.5 secs and finished with 2nd gear in about 2.5 secs (.35 loss via shifting). You have a lot more power then I do and I'm just at the edge of traction.

I did drop my tire pressure to 25PSI this seems to help with 3rd gear in medium boost. It is getting warmer also I think this helps more than anything.
Thanks

I drag race my NSX and I had my rear tires aligned as close as I could to 0 camber and 0 caster so that the entire tread of the tire is on the ground. This gives you the best contact patch possible. I dont track the car, it is a street car and I barely notice the difference in its ability to corner. Your tires also last just as long as a solid axel car would. I left the front alignment stock.

My experience in driving by friend's car with 575whp or so was this. You need better and wider tires all the way around to help. At 500whp and higher you will just have to get R compound or a tire like the Advan Neova AD08s. The Dunlops are pretty good too but you need good traction first and a good suspension setup 2nd. I would say getting a good 3 way adjustable coilover is pretty helpful with the right setup. My friend's car is setup great and it is very controlled now. It was NOT before he made some changes.

It's been a number of years since I had my NSX (stock gearing/5spd) that was 500+rwhp, but I will reiterate what a few others mentioned.... wait for warmer weather. As a fellow mid-atlantic resident, I can tell you that my traction in the summer was entirely different than warmer weather months. Give it another try on a sunny afternoon with temps greater than 70 and see what it feels like. Good luck.

Back