• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First time Zaino user

I just finish applying the Z5 in my NSX. Need to apply the Z2 in a few hrs. However, I'm a bit confuse as how to apply the Z2. Should I reaply the Z1 before I put the Z2 or, just the Z2 after buffing the Z5 off?

Anybody is Zaino expert out there can help me?

TIA

After you have applied the Z-1 and Z-5 the first time, you no longer need to use the Z-1. I usually apply 3-4 coats of Z-5 and then I put on one or two coats of Z-2.

I was confused the first time too, but after you do it once it's no problem.

I did my first application of Zaino today too. After one layer of Z1, then Z5, then Z6, the X already looks stunning.

Besides working extremely well IMO, I found the Zaino system does not create the usual waxy build up at seams and edges. This saved a lot of follow-up work with the detail brush. Great stuff - I highly recommend it.

-Russ
'91 black/black

Just put the different coats on top of each other. You only need to buff the polish when you are done with all the coats. The max I've waited in between coats is 1hr each.

Also, Zaino comes off just as easily on the plastic parts of your car as well(unlike wax) like the black trim on certain cars. If you get wax on the black trims, it turns white and is a pain in the ass to get rid off.

[This message has been edited by johndoh (edited 05 November 2001).]

Andrie wrote:

"....I just finish applying the Z5 in my NSX. Need to apply the Z2 in a few hrs. However, I'm a bit confuse as how to apply the Z2. Should I reaply the Z1 before I put the Z2 or, just the Z2 after buffing the Z5 off?..."

Andrie,

Z-1 is applied only once a year underneath either Z-2 or Z-5.

You apply Z-1, leave it on, and than apply Z-2 or Z-5 over top of it. Put another way, you only need to get out the Z-1 once a year.

Note: Some guys who Zaino many, many times a year (like a dozen or more) will apply a second Z-1 application after 5 or 6 applications. For most of us, once a season is all that's really needed. The stuff is addicting and I think this is the reason for some of the confusion.

The decision to use Z-5 is based on whether or not your car has swirl marks or fine scratches.

Once that first yearly application of Z-1 has been done you simply apply the Z-2 or Z-5 and remove.

While you CAN apply Z-2 after applying Z-5, you don't need to. Generally, people stop using Z-5 after a few times and then switch over to Z-2. Some people who have dark color cars might stay with Z-5 indefinitly. Try it and see.

If you still wish to use Z-2 after Z-5, you simply apply it and remove it as normal. You don't need to reapply Z-1. That's a once a year thing. You would simply apply and remove the Z-5, and apply and remove the Z-2.

johndoh is incorrect. You do NOT apply Z-2 directly over the Z-5 or vice versa without removing it first. Leaving different coats on is ONLY applicable to the once a season application of Z-1.

Perhaps if I explained using a typical process it would be clearer...

Assuming the car is clean of old waxes and polishes, and you picked a day when it's not raining
wink.gif

1. Apply Z-1 very sparingly, leave it on.

2A. If you have a dark colored car or have a car with swirls and scratches, apply Z-5 sparingly right over the Z-1.

2B. Otherwise apply Z-2 sparingly right over the Z-1.

3. Remove both products (with a 100% cotton towel).

4. For subsequent applications for the rest of the season, you need only to apply the Z-2 or the Z-5 and remove. I generally Zaino 2 to 3 times a year. It's very easy to do, which is another reason why people often get hooked on many multiple applications.

5. If you like, use the Z-6 Enhancer afterwards, such as after car washes, or every so often as a touch-up.

Just remember THE most important thing with Zaino is to use it sparingly. You should hardly be able to see it once you applied it. You should only see the finest of a haze. If you think you're applying it too heavily, you probably are.

That's it. More tips and suggestions can be found on the Zaino web site.
http://www.zainobros.com/

Hope this helps...and no I didn't receive any compensation or promotional consideration for this.
wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 05 November 2001).]

Andrie,

Yes. REAL sparingly. Like, "Did I even do this panel?" sparingly.

Once the applicator has been moistened with the product, I typically only add a few pea-sized dots in order to do a section that's the size of half a roof.

You'll find that a bottle of Z-2 or Z-5 will easily last more than a year.

-Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 05 November 2001).]

Z1 - Once a season after you have washed the car with Dawn.

Z5 - about 3-5 coats*** to cover any swirl marks or fine scratches.

Z2 - As many coats*** as long as you see a difference. Z2 works wonders on many colors (I find on my Monaco Blue that Z2 does little to enhance Z5)

Z6*** - between each coat of either Z5 or Z2 (use very sparingly - spray a small amount on, spread fully and evenly with cotton cloth, then turn the cloth to buff to a brilliant shine) Also, use Z6 between washes, but NOT on a dirty car

Wash with Z7.

Just a point of clarification on tabasco's post.

You only wash your car with Dawn (or use another wax/polish removal product) once. You don't do it every year. It's just to remove the old accumulated wax.

-Jim

------------------

Hi Andrie,
How did your car turn out, I have been thinking about trying Zaino. I use Zymol now and I can't complain but I'm always willing to try new stuff.

P.S. I'll get that TH survey to you some time this week, sorry for taking so long

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

[This message has been edited by NorCalwhite (edited 14 November 2001).]

Hey Joe,

I haven't got a chance to take it out under the sun, been raining lately. It feels good (smooth) but I still need to take it out to see it under sunlight.

Did u have fun at Thill last time? Hopefully u going to come join us again next time.

Hi Andrie. Think you will still make it to the Thursday meeting with Chris? When does the event end? Is there enough time to make it into LA from there?

I have recently started using zaino since hearing about it hear. I have to say it does look better than anything I've used before. I agree with the comments on the ease of removal, and it actually makes it easier to put on, knowing that if you slop some up on the rubber molding around the windows that those annoying spots arent going to set in. I have used another wax that have given a smoother feel, however a few pro's to zaino:
- definately brings out the brightness
- tremendous reflection
- seems to repel normal driving dusts from making the car seem dirty for longer periods of time after a wash.

I guess I'm guilty of too generous an applications. Old habits from other waxes are hard to break.

Zaino is so mild that it doesn't leave wax dust all over.

When I wash the car, I have a hard time keeping the soap suds staying on. Whats up with that? I haven't tried Zaino soap. Does it stick to the car any better. It's almost comical in that I used some really soapy water and before I could even rinse, all the foam was already dripping off the bottom.

Zaino ZFX is here!

Just an update to let the Zaino users here know that Zaino ZFX is now available.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#ZFX

For those of you who might not be familiar with ZFX...it's an additive or a catalyst that is used with either Z-2 or Z-5.

It eliminates the need to apply a pre-coat of Z-1 once a year. It also drammatically speeds up the drying time so those people who want to apply multiple coats one after the other can do so.

ZFX comes in a very small bottle and you mix it with the Z-2 or Z-5 in small amounts. As part of the ZFX kit you're supplied small bottles. You essentially mix the product in a separate bottle as needed by adding a few drops of ZFX to your Z-2 or Z-5.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

Of course the Zainophiles will like ZFX because they can apply multiple coats quickly, but I suspect for most of us, it's going to be the improved drying time and the elimination of the once-a-season application of Z-1 (not that it was any big deal) that will be the primary advantage.

-Jim

------------------

Hey, anyone know why Zaino's 4 oz. ClayBar costs so much ($16.95 plus S&H)?

I can go to any local CarQuest parts store and buy 2 clay bars for $20 (no S&H). I've used Zaino's products, and I'm pleased, but is there much difference between the quality of Zaino's clay bars and others?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

I would think that there's not a lot of difference in the clay bars.

The Zaino clay worked well for me, but I think what's most important is the wet "lubricant" that's used when working with the clay.

Here I would strongly recommend using a spray bottle with water mixed with the Zaino car wash as a lubricant.

Never use the clay dry and be very careful not to pick up any debris. This can happen if you drop the clay or it can happen around the edges and corners of the car. It's real easy to pick up a little piece of sand or grit around the wheel wells or the various openings. Be extra careful around these openings and be sure that the car is squeeky clean.

Jim

------------------

Larry Emmons, whose Emmons Coachworks had a booth at NSXPO 2001, is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to detailing. He recommended the Clay Magic brand of clay bars and lubricating liquids. He said that their product really works better than the other brands, due to some proprietary patents that cover their formula. I trust his judgment.

anyone know why Zaino's 4 oz. ClayBar costs so much ($16.95 plus S&H)?

All of the brands of clay products are about the same amount price, even those from relatively inexpensive brands such as Meguiar's and Mother's.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 07 December 2001).]

Here's some prices for comparison's sake...

The Clay Magic Clay Bar (200g) costs $28 from Emmons.

The Clay Magic Kit (100g clay bar) and 8oz bottle of lubricant costs $18 from Emmons.

The Zymol Lehm Clay Kit (including lubricant) costs $60 from Emmons.

Mothers' Clay Bar Kit costs $16.75 from Waxdepot.

Pinnacle's Clay Bar is normally $29.95 (on sale for $25) and the lube is $7.95 (www.pinnaclewax.com).

As you can see there's a fairly wide range of prices and a lot of companies are now marketing their own special clay lubricant. This makes the price vary somewhat.

Zaino doesn't have a special lubricant they recommend their Z-7 car wash which already has lubricant properties built-in. One capful of Z-7 would give easily give you 8 ounces of spray lube when mixed with water. When viewed this way, the cost of the Zaino "lubricant" is negliable (of course, you have to supply the spray bottle
wink.gif
).

It's tough to compare on a price basis, but I agree with Ken and I think on general the clay prices are pretty much the same. I think the Zaino clay is priced competitively.

I would be leery to mix other "lubricants" with Zaino because I just don't know if there's anything that would conflict. As I said earlier, I can't see where the actual clay would make any difference, but the lubricant might be an issue.

I'm guessing that for the most part the clay lubes are just soapy water with some wetting agents but who knows? As Ken points out, some vendors add proprietary ingredients, and this might be problematic when mixed or applied with other products.

My advice would be to, in general, stick with one system where it makes sense. Use what a given manufacturer of a wax or polish would recommend as a clay lubricant.

Also, keep in mind that you're not going to be claying on a regular basis. It's the kind of thing you do every few years or so.

-Jim

------------------

I use Griot's Garage products and their clay bar is real good. I learned not to like it that much since it's too soft and sticks to your hands and turning them yellow. I tried Mother's clay bar and it's perfect. Doesn't stick to your hands as much and I find that I can work better and faster with it. As for removal of contaminants, I don't find either to be any better than the other.

After my paint surface is silky smooth, I coat with Griot's Best of Show wax and boy is the paint as smooth and silky as a baby's bottom.

I haven't tried Zaino's products but I heard they are silicone based, which I'm not to impressed about. Also, the number of steps is just too much. I prefer using clay and Best of Show for the ultimate shine and color depth. JMO.
smile.gif

Vytas

------------------
"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

Vytas,

You are incorrect.

There are NO silicones in ANY Zaino product. The Zaino homepage clearly states this fact as do many of the product write-ups.

As far as number of steps is concerned (we've been here before). I won't get into counting steps....but I'll simply cite what you do.

1. Put a few drops of ZFX into a small amount of Z-2 or Z-5 (your choice depending on the presence of swirls or not) and mix.

2. Apply Z-2 or Z-5 to your car.

3. Remove.

4. Repeat as desired.

(yes, you can use their clay bar and yes you can use their gloss enhancer, but these are optional and not required to acheive excellent results).

I'm glad you like the Griot stuff.

-Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 08 December 2001).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Vytas,

You are incorrect.

There are NO silicones in ANY Zaino product. The Zaino homepage clearly states this fact as do many of the product write-ups.

Thanks for pointing it out. I stand corrected. There are lots of quality waxes and polishes and I believe they give great results. For now I'm hooked on Griot's products but may give Zaino a try.

BTW, my avatar was taken at the Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA.

Vytas

What ingredients DO they contain?

Ken,

I have no idea what ingredients Zaino uses. I suspect the Zaino people consider the ingredients a trade secret.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm

I do know that it's a synthetic product that doesn't contain abrasives, silicones or oils. Carnuaba products contain oils and frequently silicones in order to make them soft enough to apply.

-Jim

------------------

Vytas,

That's cool.
wink.gif

I use Griot products too. I like their applicators and some of their cloths.

You know at NSXPO... you couldn't tell who used which product as they all looked pretty darn good.

Most people who use Zaino are hooked because of the shine, the level of protection and durability on hot days. For me, it's more of a question of ease-of-use.

I find I can apply and remove the product in about 30 minutes and it doesn't leave any residue. It also seems to last a long time. I wash the car and give it a quick touch-up with their spray enhancer and it looks great.

I can't wait to try the new ZFX.

Regards,
Jim

------------------

Back