• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Flying with expired ID?

My dumb ass never renewed my drivers license before I left PA and moved but now it's expiring on June 12th. I'm due to fly back to PA from New Orleans on June 30th and was wondering if they'll let you on with an expired drivers license.

I get my mail shipped down and I already paid for the renewal since the dmv sent me a letter but since you physically need to go to the dmv in that state I'm not able to do that until I fly up.

I googled this and some answered popped up saying if it's expired less than 30 days it's valid but since some of you are pros and pilots I figured I'd ask and try to figure this out asap.

This happened to me and it was not a big deal. It was not an issue at TSA. However, that was at least 5 years ago. YMMV.

I had the same experience as Steve A, also about 5 years ago, when my then girl friend and I flew out to the west coast. Her DL had been expired for several years and TSA never questioned it.
You may want to see if you can submit an affidavit to renew your DL via mail from out of state. I did that the last time I renewed, and it was extra money (less than $20) but the form was online, mailed it with check and got new (non photo) DL in less than 2 weeks. I still have to carry my old DL as photo ID, but I am legal.

Last edited:
Play dumb. 60% of the time it works every time.

Little known fact: You do not actually need ID for domestic flights. Think about how many people lose ID or have it stolen while traveling.. They deal with it regularly. There is even a form just for people flying without ID. Just allow extra time and inform the folks you do not have ID and they will take you aside and look you up in the database and ask you questions about addresses and relatives and such.. the kind of stuff that shows up on a standard background check. You will probably also get an enhanced screening (pat-down and bags searched).

My mom is in this exact situation right now, she has been visiting me in CA and her driver's license expired only last month (Illinois).

She left her passport and most of her important docs at home of course so we plan to go to the airport ahead of time to ask them what is acceptable.

We do not want to wait until the day of the flight to find out since we are traveling with 2 kids and a lot of luggage. Each airport is different so I would go ask them what is acceptable. Don't wait until the day of in my opinion.

I agree the TSA deals with this quite often so they must have something in place for this type of situation. In my mom's case she has her expired drivers license, medicare, ATM card with photo and a host of other documents including her renewal which she already paid for so hopefully this is enough.

I'll keep an eye on this post till her flight end of this month

Back