• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Zaino Users Only - (NSX Specific)

This forum is intended for NSX users of Zaino products, or for people who are considering purchasing Zaino products. It's a place where people can ask questions about Zaino, such as where to purchase, how to apply, tips and hints, etc.

It's the intention of this forum to NOT get into any product comparisons by name, rather I hope we can strictly keep the discussion on Zaino and not bring up the names of any other product.

If we need to discuss anything of a comparative nature, let's really try to keep other product names out of it and keep things generic. As we all know, this topic can be like religion and there's no reason for us to critique the specific choices of others.

There's a lot of NSX owners who use Zaino products and we need a place to discuss things and compare notes, without having the thread end up like other previous wax/polish threads.

I am not a Zaino representative, but I have used many of their car care products for a number of years now. I wouldn't presume to be an administrator here on Prime, but I'm happy to serve as an informal guide here on this thread.

-Jim

Last edited:
Zaino Resources and Resellers

I'll try to update this as often as possible.

http://www.zainobros.com/

Zaino's web site is the primary source of product information, tips and hints. You can email Zaino and ask questions, order product, or find out the closest reseller to you.

http://www.hcvind.com/

Carl Voellm - A Zaino reseller in the Philadelphia area. A great guy and a great resource for Zaino and detailing information. You can order by credit card too.

http://www.lazaino.com/

LA Zaino - A Zaino reseller in the west LA area (near the 10 and 405). They accept credit cards, handle walk-ins too.

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 08 September 2002).]

First the new BBSC Beta forum, now the Zaino Users forum. What's next? Maybe there was something to that divide and conquer thing!

I love Zaino!

Questions:

My Z1 after two years looked and felt different when applied. I don't think it was as effective as when new. Does Zaino have a finite shelf life?

Is the new ZX all I need to buy now? What about the Z2 and Z6 which I use now, do I need to continue purchasing those to use with the ZX?

I bought a clay bar from Zaino and removing the film that covers it was impossible!! Both my wife and I tried for a long time and could not get the film off a major portion of the bar - I had to throw it out in the end. Is there a proven technique to do this? Has someone asked Mr. Zaino to change the packaging?

Thanks for your help.

Here's my Zaino recommendations.

Let me first say that I know there's a lot of people, particularly in the Corvette community, who use Zaino for the "ultimate show car shine." Although I have a Corvette, that's not me. It's nice to know that, but I use Zaino because it's easy, it doesn't take a lot of time or effort, the protective benefits of synthetic polymers, the lack of ANY abrasives and of course the shine.

The Zaino site or the other Zaino sites may have more complete or slightly different info, but here's my suggestions and findings...

If you're starting from the beginning with a car that has conventional wax applied to it, you first need to remove the old wax and polish.

1. You can do this by washing the car with Dawn dishwashing detergent or use a commercial wax remover. Dawn worked well for me. This is a one time thing you shouldn't wax your car with Dawn or detergents as a regular practice.

2. After the old wax is off, I do another quick wash with the Zaino Z-7 car wash. It's the best car wash I've ever used. Many carnauba wax users in the Vette community use the Zaino wash.

3. At this point, if you wish to "clay" your car, now's the time. I used Zaino's clay bar and keep the surface wet and soapy by using a spritzer bottle with water and a capful of the Zaino Z-7 wash. Claying is a whole thing onto itself, but you need to be careful to keep the clay CLEAN. Keep away from grit and grime in the wheel wells and try placing newspaper around the car so if you drop the clay it won't pick up any crud.

** Oh, I put my clay into the refrigerator to make it easier to remove the cellophane wrapper **

4. After you clay, do another quick wash with the Z-7 wash just to remove the residue. By the way, I use one of the high-speed leaf blowers to dry the car. I find it's quick and you won't run the risk of water spots. The usual washing tips (e.g. don't wash in sunlight, etc) apply.

5. At this point you may find that there's some scratches or imperfections in the paint. If these are significant you may need to use a swirl-scratch remover such as 3Ms swirl remover.

6. At this point you can actually apply the Zaino polish. You have a decision to make. If your car is pristine and has swirl free shiny paint I would start right off with the Zaino Z-2. If it's an older car with signs of light swirl marks I would start with Z-5. Once you've chosen the Z-2 or Z-5 you mix it according to directions with the ZFX. It's a catalyst that causes the synthethic polymers to harden and dry. ZFX comes with a little mixing bottle that you put a small amount of the Z-2 or Z-5 with a few drops of the ZFX.

7. You then apply the mixture VERY sparingly with a cotton applicator or a 100% cotton towel. You should only see a slight haze on the surface. In fact, if you're doing it right it should be hard to see where you've applied and where you haven't. Work in small sections at a time. Oh, did I mention to use it sparingly?
wink.gif

8. By the time you're finished, the first sections should be dry and you can remove with another clean 100% cotton towel. You might want read up on towels on the Zaino site. www.lazaino.com has a good deal on "prepped" towels, or you can make your own.

9. At this point, if you want, you can apply the Z-6 gloss enhancer. It's a spray liquid and you simply spray it on a small section, rub it in and remove it. Very, very quick and easy. It also smell great.
wink.gif

You can do the entire car in 15-20 minutes. This makes the shine even greater and it really does cut down on static and dust.

10. I generally reserve applying the Z-6 until after I wash the car. It keeps the shine looking great and it also helps to get rid of any minor water spots that still might remain.

That's basically it. That's my Zaino regimen.

If you start with Z-5 because of swirl marks you can switch over to Z-2 at any time the swirl marks disappear. You may find that your car looks better with Z-5 and elect to keep using it. You can switch back and forth as you see fit.

I apply Zaino polish several times a year. Maybe 3 times, maybe 4 times. There have been times when I was going to enter a special car show that I applied several two or three coats in a day. Since it goes on and comes off SO easily, it's no big deal.

Another thing I like about Zaino, both the Z-2/Z-5 polish and the Z-6 spray, is that there is almost zero residue. If you apply it correctly (read sparingly) there should hardly be anything on your removal towel.

-Jim

Last edited:
just want to share my Z experience this past weekend. I started with dawn wash, then did the clay, the soapy water run off are a bit on the black side, which was a surprise to me. I know the car was dirty, but didn't expect to see black soap water, especially after the dawn wash already.

I did Z1/Z5 (got tons of z1 left, haven't got on the zfx wagon), and it covered up 80+% of the tiny swiral marks on a silver car. I did the whole process on my 01 black lexus, can't tell much difference. But, on my 91 silver nsx, the difference was night and day! Love the smooth, glass like shine! can't take my eyes off now even more than when i first picked up the car a month ago.

Originally posted by SilverOne:
I did Z1/Z5 (got tons of z1 left, haven't got on the zfx wagon), and it covered up 80+% of the tiny swiral marks on a silver car. I did the whole process on my 01 black lexus, can't tell much difference. But, on my 91 silver nsx, the difference was night and day! Love the smooth, glass like shine! can't take my eyes off now even more than when i first picked up the car a month ago.
Zaino is "recommended" for light-color metallic cars ??

Zaino products are recommended for all colors of cars.

The only thing I can think of that's the least bit color-specific would be that dark color cars (i.e. black, dk purple and dk green) are probably more susceptible to swirl marks and therefore many owners of dark cars stick with Z-5 for a longer period of time or indefinitely.

-Jim

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jimbo:
Zaino products are recommended for all colors of cars.

The only thing I can think of that's the least bit color-specific would be that dark color cars (i.e. black, dk purple and dk green) are probably more susceptible to swirl marks and therefore many owners of dark cars stick with Z-5 for a longer period of time or indefinitely.

-Jim

agreed! 20 layers of Z5, and probably 3 layers of Z3. Don't ask why 20 layers, i didn't read the instructions careful enough!! But, it only adds to the shine
smile.gif

Actually, I was wondering about the Z-3.

Z-3 is for non-clear coat finishes (i.e. older cars). Did you try Z-3 or did you mean Z-2 (which is for clear coat finishes).

-Jim

Last edited:
I have been using the Z2 & Z5 with Z-FX. I have a black NSX and find that right after a coat of Z5 the car looks much smoother, very little swirl marks. After couple coats of Z5 I apply a coat of Z2. It has more shine (slightly) but some of the swirls come back.

I was thinking of using just Z5, but I also thought that as I apply more Z5, reducing swirls even more, I could then go back to the Z2 and get the shine without as many swirls.

After I use up my Z2 I may just stick with Z5. Z5 on the outer layer still looks brighter than anything else I have seen.

Remember "The Wax Test" website?

It caused a bit of controversy awhile back. The people who put that test together regrouped and now have published a very comprehensive publication on waxes and polishes.

http://www.gurureports.org/

I ordered this publication and I have to say it's very good and very thorough. They methodically tested 46 waxes and corrected the shortcomings of their earlier tests. They also compare carnauba and synthetics (such as Zaino).

Here's a brief quote from introduction...

"...I won't go into too much detail about the "Z ordeal," but suffice it to say that Zaino users are a loyal group. Saying something bad about their favorite product is like calling someone's mamma "fat and ugly." It just doesn't go over well. We fought and resisted, but after a week or so, we decided to regroup and lend an open ear to the Zaino users. What we learned was that we had applied the Zaino incorrectly, which quickly explained our less than stellar initial results. Once we screwed our heads on straight, and actually read the directions that came with our Zaino, we were quickly singing a different tune - Zaino rocked!"

Here's another quote taken from the Carnauba vs Synthethic section...

"...Our Best In Class award for the Sythethic Wax category was Zaino Brothers Show Car Polish. It's amazing. It's inhuman. It beats up on the other products like the proverbial school-yard bully; protecting, shining, and looking better than any other product tested."

Of all the of the 46 products, both conventional and synthetic, that were tested in this comprehensive test, Zaino is the ONLY product to get an "A" rating at all.

Here's their final conclusion...

"...Without a doubt, the sythethic products ruled this test, especially in the durability department. It's worth noting that our panels were not exposed to the harsh environments caused by road abrasion, bug, tar & sap residue, or the ever evil automatic car wash. We sincerely believe that if we had exposed the panels to these perils, the carnaubas would have died off even more quickly."

"One product really stood out as incredible in this shoot-out, and that was the Zaino system. It's durability is unparalled, and it has a look you just can't stop staring at. We also love the fact that the Zaino was the slickest feeling product we tested, and it maintained that slickness for months. As we write this article some four months after our initial application, the Zaino swatch is still beading water, while the other swatches have all but died. We liked the look of the P21S, but have to give the nod to Zaino in this particular shoot-out. Nice job, Zaino!"

Now that's an endorsement. I recommend this publication as it also has many tips and hints.

-Jim

Last edited:
My car has alot of swirl marks from the past owners. I'm just wondering, after i clay and wash, i can use 3m polisher(never used it before) right? Well, what do i do after i use the 3m? should i wash and then Z-6 it, then use Z2, Z5, then Z2 again???

why does zaino prefer people to use Z2 last when most people here states that Z2 brings back the swirls??

I understand there a significant load of questions, but bare with me, i'm a new Zaino fan =)

Chao
-Garrett

------------------
"What's the middle pedal for?"

I remember reading somewhere that the difference between Z2/Z3, where Z2 for clear coat cars, and Z3 for non-clear coats, are that there is more 'nutrients' for the paint in Z3 due to the lack of protection of the clear coat. By using Z3 on cars with clearcoat will not harm the car, it may be a waste of those special additives on the clear coat.

anyone, correct me if i am wrong??

It would sure be nice if they had a few bundles already put together on the store for different uses, thanks for the link, Jim.

Jonathan said:
It would sure be nice if they had a few bundles already put together on the store for different uses, thanks for the link, Jim.

Fathers day is coming and it sure would be nice if I could just tell the wifey to order the bundle with the clay spray z5 z2 and soap.

Jonathan said:

I would recommend a good starter pack would be
ZFX - Accelerator (to mix with Z2 or Z5)
Z2 - show car polish
Z5 - show car polish (swirl)
Z6 - gloss enhance spray
Z7 - car wash

optional:
Z18 - clay bar

That will take of the exterior pretty much.

Decide for yourself what interior products you may wish to choose.

Last edited:
I'm sold on the Z2 and Z5. As much as I would like to give another product a try because of their support to NSXCA, I am way too happy with Z2 and Z5. Just make sure to use the ZFX (or Z1) with EVERY coat.

Goss enhancer... so, so. Clay bar... I have remarked about that in another thread. Car wash.. it works well, but not noticeably better than many localy available products.

I will also say that I just used some Griot's machine polish 3 (with my Porter Cable orbital) to rid the car of clear coat swirls. Did a fine job. StL guys feel free to hit me up for use of my Porter Cable.

I LOVE the Gloss enhancer spray - if for no other reason it smells so good!!!
Actually I really like the way it finishes it out. I use it between coats of polish also.
I'm going to try the "leather in a bottle" for first time, so I'll let you all know my opinions on that afterwards.

D'Ecosse said:
I would recommend a good starter pack would be
ZFX - Accelerator (to mix with Z2 or Z5)
Z2 - show car polish
Z5 - show car polish (swirl)
Z6 - gloss enhance spray
Z7 - car wash

optional:
Z18 - clay bar

That will take of the exterior pretty much.

Decide for yourself what interior products you may wish to choose.

I just placed my order for all of the above with clay bar. Now I need all the tips I can get. I wonder if it will be harder on a white car, since I cant see the zaino

D'Ecosse said:

I'm going to try the "leather in a bottle" for first time, so I'll let you all know my opinions on that afterwards.
Sorry, but I think that is another prduct where there are many others that are equal. And, D'Ecosse won't like it because it doesn't have a foo-foo fragrant smell.:D However, I do prefer the Z-16 Perfect Tire gloss over some of the other junk out there.

Bad Bottles????

I just received my latest order of zaino (3 bottles of Z2 and the z6 gloss enhancer) and all bottles of the Z2 were a creamy pink color. My previous 2 orders of the Z2 were orange in color.

I didn't think much of it, but Saturday I used up the last bit of my orange Z2 on the hood and entire passenger side of the car. I cracked open the new pink Z2 bottle and applied to the rest of the car. I followed the directions and shook well as instructed. I noticed quite a different consistency level to the pink bottle. Applying the same minimal amounts as I have with the old bottle left a much more noticable haze when viewing through an angled reflection off the natural sunlight. (I typically get about 10 to 12 waxes out of 1 bottle)

Anyways, after I took it off, I can't say that I can tell much optical difference in the shine, however the areas that had the newer pink Z2 are much more "fingerprint resistant" when you run your hand across the paint and seem noticably smoother than the area's of the orange Z2.

Anybody else experience this? Did Zaino change their product in the last 6 months or so or did I have some bad bottles? I also checked the newly opened bottle tonight to make sure it was still pink and that environmental conditions didnt change it once opened. My last bottles were always orange though, even before opening.

Back