• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frankfurt: Honda confirms 'new NSX'

What were you hoping to learn looking at my profile?

TX > CA

Fixed it for you.

Just confirming that someone's a privacy freak. I never trust those types.

We hijacked this thread long enough.

I'm gonna check out of this one before either of us starts getting childish.

Besides the little banter back and forth, you actually brought up a real question.

Will a new NSX effect the value of the old NSX?

I think a new NSX would actually increase the value of older (91 - 99) NSXs.
Many people will not be able to afford the new NSX, but the advertising and articles in magazines might increase demand for older cars.

Besides the little banter back and forth, you actually brought up a real question.

Many people will not be able to afford the new NSX, but the advertising and articles in magazines might increase demand for older cars.

Hmmmm.. never thought of it that way.

New NSX brings attention to the NSX legacy and people want an NSX of what they can afford.

Would looking at historical values of the Supra, GTR, M3, etc. be a good predictor?

I agree with you about an upswing in values due to increased "buzz" about the new car...but it will never happen because they will never build it or bring back the name. they'll just continue to tease us as long as they want...

Would looking at historical values of the Supra, GTR, M3, etc. be a good predictor?

Possible, but entirely different cars...and client obsession / following. The NSX is in it's own league...above those others :D

This is very interesting thoughts, if the new NSX were to be release, I would bet the value of the older NSX would def. Go up especially the original design 91. Just like everything else, the Original, first year.

NSX has essentially hit the bottom in value. Ferrari 308/328/348/355 and soon to join these group the 360 all have bottomed-out price point.

The difference will be the long production period of the NSX. I think NA2 will retain the resale value better simply because of the production number.

I'm not necessarily sure we'd see an increase in value if we all got our wish and Honda released an immaculate piece of mid-engined, 500hp+, LFA-sounding engineering with Ayrton's ashes mixed into the aluminum extrusions for the chassis.

You might even see the so-far-rock-solid '02+ values even take a dip as some of the more well-heeled owners jumped ship for the new car and created a short-term market surplus. I think it'll take time for the early cars to come off of their current bottom...and then it'll probably only be the very original examples to start with.

I think a slightly underwhelming successor would be the best thing strictly from an original-car-value standpoint. This would bring publicity AND nostalgia for the more-pure older cars.

That said, I don't think there's been a valid precedent to reference for comparison. Every reasonable comparison I can think of has a gap.

The car has to be upper-mid-market, low production, of significant engineering merit, have been produced for a long time, have been out of production for >5years before being brought back, and the replacement has to be the same in spririt.

So possible connections:

-Every V8 Ferrari in the past 30 years......except that they were never out of production. The 355 was introduced right as the 328 was being phased out, and the 360, and the 430. So there was no time to "miss" them and the replacements (with some subjectivity) were all measurably superior.

-See above for Corvettes, Porsches, etc.

-The Z-Car took a break between the 300ZX (a good car) and the 350Z. If you only look at the TTZ, then it might be an OK comparison...but I didn't see them take any appreciative boost from the 350s introduction even though the styling was somewhat polarizing at the time, and the 300 is a somewhat classically pretty car. The problem is you've got all those NA Z32s muddying the waters.

-The RX-7 (FD) has appreciated in value from reaching a bottom following the introduction of the somewhat "meh" RX-8....which was anticipated as a successor-in-spirit, but ended up being something else. However this was almost replacing a boutique car with a mass produced car...

-The Camaro went a way, but the older turds certainly haven't benefited, the new car has gotten both ends of that boost. "It's New"...."It's sooo much better than those old F-Bodies" has been most of the sentiment I've read.

Last edited:
-The RX-7 (FD) has appreciated in value from reaching a bottom following the introduction of the somewhat "meh" RX-8....which was anticipated as a successor-in-spirit, but ended up being something else. However this was almost replacing a boutique car with a mass produced car...

Oh sh*t I completely forgot about the RX-8 in those terms! Ito did say the next NSX would be a "spiritual successor" to the old NSX. This does not bode well. Why is it that spiritual successors are such terds? It's the equivalent of "hey she's got a great personality".

I'm not necessarily sure we'd see an increase in value if we all got our wish and Honda released an immaculate piece of mid-engined, 500hp+, LFA-sounding engineering with Ayrton's ashes mixed into the aluminum extrusions for the chassis.

Agreed. My brother has an RX8. Sure it's got better handling (he can run wider front tires like 275 in the front), longer wheel base and not only a TCS, but also a DSC as well.

Oh sh*t I completely forgot about the RX-8 in those terms! Ito did say the next NSX would be a "spiritual successor" to the old NSX. This does not bode well. Why is it that spiritual successors are such terds? It's the equivalent of "hey she's got a great personality".

Someone say RX....?

Agreed. My brother has an RX8. Sure it's got better handling (he can run wider front tires like 275 in the front), longer wheel base and not only a TCS, but also a DSC as well.

Someone say RX....?

LOL Oh no I forgot Bats was here! Actually he gave your car props and said FD!

It may really depend on how many owners dump their current NSX for a new one. Consider a new NSX in GTR price range, $100k with all the stuff we want (mid engine, good HP, etc). I would suspect a lot of NA2's would start popping up in private sales, but more likely in dealership lots from trade ins for the new one.

Kind of off topic, but at this point, I really got to get this off my chest even though I know I am dream or maybe in the minority.

Honda should build a super halo car that succeed and replace the NSX (mid-engine, rwd, V10 NA high revving, lightweight super exotic car)

on top of that put the HSV-010 GT into production under the Acura brand with super luxury, AWD, V8,

Like many of you, I love the NSX and wish it'd come back. But ever since the HSV came out, I cant help but think that it deserve to stay despite not worthy of the NSX name. The HSV is one sexy car. Oh well, I can keep dreaming...:tongue:

20111002991.JPG

20110817873.JPG

Honda NSX returns

Avengers movie car previews new supercar. It’ll get new V6 engine with twin electric motors

car_photo_468601_7.jpg

By Peter Lyon

05th October 2011

The legendary Honda NSX supercar is back. These spy shots, taken on the set of the new Avengers movie, show a new Acura-badged Audi R8-sized supercar that previews a successor to the NSX.

Acura is Honda’s US-only luxury brand and the sports car was spotted in Central Park, New York, with actor Robert Downey Jr at the wheel. Its appearance is hugely significant for fans keen to see Honda return to the supercar arena.

Honda CEO Takanobu Ito recently hinted at the NSX’s revival, when he revealed: “We’re making progress with plans for an exotic sports car.” And six months ago, Ito said Honda was keen to relaunch a high-performance sports car like the NSX.

A Honda source told us that the Dual Note 4WD hybrid concept from the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show was our first glimpse at the technology that will underpin the NSX. It used a 3.5-litre V6 to drive the rear wheels and in-wheel electric motors to turn the fronts, generating over 400bhp.

Ten years later, Honda is still perfecting the technology. A source said: “Honda wants to build a supercar that breaks the mould while creating a new technological package.”

Honda is working on a VTEC V6 engine of between 3.5 to 3.7 litres, while the twin electric motor set-up will be powered by lithium-ion batteries and employ a plug-in recharge system for a small electric-only range. The result will be huge amounts of torque, but also the high-revving character Hondas are famous for.

The car will also have a weight-saving aluminium body, and is set to go sale by 2014, priced at a Nissan GT-R-rivalling £65,000.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/273565/honda_nsx_returns.html#ixzz1ZuSZ0OaK

Last month a mysterious Acura concept sporting a similar shape to the mid-engine Audi R8 supercar was spotted on the set of the upcoming The Avengers movie.

In the movie, the Acura concept will serve as the personal ride of Robert Downey Jr.’s character Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man.

You may recall that Stark previously rode around in an Audi R8 but since he’s now working together with government agency S.H.I.E.L.D, which exclusively uses Acura vehicles, the Audi was no longer needed.

AutoExpress, which has snapped up some new images of the striking concept, is reporting that its design may point the way towards a new NSX flagship, although a new name is possible as well.

Previous plans for the new NSX called for a front mid-engine design with a V-10 heart, but those were canned once the financial crisis hit.

However, with Honda president and CEO Takanobu Ito rallying to bring back some performance cred for Acura and Honda, including commenting that plans for an exotic sports car were back on the table, this latest movie concept could very well herald a new NSX--but perhaps one very different to its predecessor.

You see, there’s word on the street that Acura will be looking to differentiate the car by packing it with an advanced hybrid drivetrain.

Acura is likely to go with a V-6 engine mounted in a lightweight aluminum chassis once again, but with the addition of 2 electric motors. In this way the engine could drive the rear wheels while the electric motors take care of the front.

Importantly, Acura’s new NSX isn’t likely to target stratospheric price levels like the Lexus LFA. Rather, it’s likely to occupy the $80,000 to $100,000 price bracket that more affordable supercars like the Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 and higher trims of the Chevrolet Corvette now dominate.

Sadly, any release date is likely to still be years away.

Honda NSX returns

Avengers movie car previews new supercar. It’ll get new V6 engine with twin electric motors

car_photo_468601_7.jpg

By Peter Lyon

05th October 2011

The legendary Honda NSX supercar is back. These spy shots, taken on the set of the new Avengers movie, show a new Acura-badged Audi R8-sized supercar that previews a successor to the NSX.

Acura is Honda’s US-only luxury brand and the sports car was spotted in Central Park, New York, with actor Robert Downey Jr at the wheel. Its appearance is hugely significant for fans keen to see Honda return to the supercar arena.

Honda CEO Takanobu Ito recently hinted at the NSX’s revival, when he revealed: “We’re making progress with plans for an exotic sports car.” And six months ago, Ito said Honda was keen to relaunch a high-performance sports car like the NSX.

A Honda source told us that the Dual Note 4WD hybrid concept from the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show was our first glimpse at the technology that will underpin the NSX. It used a 3.5-litre V6 to drive the rear wheels and in-wheel electric motors to turn the fronts, generating over 400bhp.

Ten years later, Honda is still perfecting the technology. A source said: “Honda wants to build a supercar that breaks the mould while creating a new technological package.”

Honda is working on a VTEC V6 engine of between 3.5 to 3.7 litres, while the twin electric motor set-up will be powered by lithium-ion batteries and employ a plug-in recharge system for a small electric-only range. The result will be huge amounts of torque, but also the high-revving character Hondas are famous for.

The car will also have a weight-saving aluminium body, and is set to go sale by 2014, priced at a Nissan GT-R-rivalling £65,000.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/273565/honda_nsx_returns.html#ixzz1ZuSZ0OaK

Hmm Acura told us this was a one off just for the movie. Same price as the GTR but a hundred hp shy and an aluminum body. Not sure how accurate this article is.

Honda NSX returns

car_photo_468601_7.jpg

By Peter Lyon

05th October 2011

I'm waiting for your props.

Yes you can give props to the LSx conversion FD.

Don't wait for that as you have better things to do lol

The Rumor is Hitting All the Blogs 2day

Is Tony Stark's new Acura a precursor to next NSX?

By Noah Joseph RSS feed
Posted Oct 5th 2011 4:01PM

Comments9

When the upcoming Marvel reunion
The Avengers hits the silver screen, it promises to be packed with action. Action heros like Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America... and a new Acura NSX.

Wait, what? That's right: if the latest rumors from
Auto Express prove true, that mystery Acura supercar that Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) has been spied driving on the set of the upcoming superhero flick will be our first glimpse at the new supercar from Honda's premium marque.

The neo-NSX will reportedly pack the through-the-road all-wheel-drive hybrid drivetrain from the
2001 Honda Dual Note concept, encompassing a 3.5 to 3.7-liter V6 driving the rear wheels and an electric hub motor in each of the front wheels.

Tipped to be priced to take on the
Nissan GT-R, the new NSX could be the Honda supercar we've been waiting for. For its part, Honda officials continue to deny that Tony Stark's car is representative of a new NSX, so we'll believe it when we see it (and we don't just mean at the movies).

Hmmmm.. never thought of it that way.

New NSX brings attention to the NSX legacy and people want an NSX of what they can afford.

I think you may want to look at the Porsche line. The 993's and 964's have stabalized and in the case of certain models gone up significantly over the last 3 years.

IF there is a new NSX, and it's MR, I think it may cause a dip in prices (not through the floor though - it won't set a new bottom price); but if it's a different layout, you may see prices rise a bit with renewed interest in the car, as it will be seen as a pure or true NSX (like the aircooled 911s).

But really, who the hell knows?

Back