• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frankfurt: Honda confirms 'new NSX'

I honestly do not like the CRZ look for the flagship Honda/Acura car. It should stand on its own and affect the rest of the lineup, not taking design cues from a sporty hybrid with lukewarm reception.

Well delivered rendering though. I think that is why people respond to it so well. A stretched out, mid-engine CRZ is not the way to go Honda. Take NOTE. Just refine the Avenger NSX :smile:

attachment.php

That's absolutely gorgeous. They would probably clean up a lot of the front end lines for production but would add them back in for the R. This rendering looks as good or even better than a 458. I'm ashamed to admit that.

Problem with that car is that u'll leave the front bumper on the ground after tearing it right off getting in and outta parking lots and driveways....

Can't buy a low car if you don't know how to drive it... :tongue:

i'm with everyone on the fact that there's nothing interesting that i would buy from honda right now. I've own an integra, an s200, and currently have an NA2 NSX, as well as a 600RR, but their current vehicle lineup sucks.

that said, let's not forget that ito had a big hand in creating the original NSX. are they going to build another ferrari killer? probably not, but we have the first NSX to thank for that, because ferrari and the likes have really stepped up their game. If they build a $100k 911 killer, i'd definitely still be interested. after all, if you want a Z06 or a GTR, you'd buy one of those and wouldn't bother waiting for an NSX, right?

When the first NSX came out, it was unlike anything avaible at the time, it was the best car in the world and beat Ferrari.

Can they repeat that? Nope. Its just about impossible. Their goal will have to something other than being the best at performance or daily drivability, i think their best bet is to make a great drivers car thats is very lotus like, and make it FUN. The biggest fault of the GTR, new mclaren, Veyron is a heavyweight, high HP and a slight lack of real driving pleasure. They can make the new NSX a super lightweight, fit, track car that doesnt necesarily have to be dominating in performance. It can be a car that people just like, it needs to drive good (note i didnt say put down mind blowing numbers), it needs to be an extremly involved driving experiance, and it needs to look good. IMO!

It needs to be an extremly involved driving experiance, and it needs to look good. IMO!

+1,000,000

I would only add that the car needs to be marketed aggressively and properly. If Honda can accomplish this, while preserving Honda reliability and ease of use, then they will have a hit.

2.8 liter V6 @ 9000 rpm with IMA hybrid torque-assist. Drop it in the middle and keep the weight under 3000 pounds.

http://www.insideline.com/acura/nsx/honda-ceo-confirms-nsx-successor-is-in-the-pipeline.html

Honda CEO Confirms NSX Successor Is in the Pipeline

• Honda HSV-010 GT Picture
    Honda won Japan's Super GT championship last year with the HSV-010 GT coupe, but said it has no plans to build a production version. | September 21, 2011 | American Honda Motor Company, Inc.

Just the Facts:
  • Honda CEO Takanobu Ito drops a few more hints about the successor to the NSX sports car.
  • Ito said a new Honda sports car is under development that will focus less on outright power and more on power-to-weight.
  • Ito told Britain's Autocar: "it is my wish that Honda engineers have the experience of developing a sports car like the NSX in future."

FRANKFURT, Germany — Honda President and CEO Takanobu Ito has dropped a few more hints about the successor to the NSX sports car, first revealed by Inside Line earlier this year.

At last week's Frankfurt auto show, Ito, who helped develop the original NSX, told Britain's Autocar: "It is my wish that Honda engineers have the experience of developing a sports car like the NSX in future. Within Honda, our engineers are already looking at developing such a car."

At Honda's annual motorsports conference in Tokyo earlier this year, Ito revealed that Honda already had begun a feasibility study on a new sports car.
In 2010, Honda raced a pure prototype, the HSV-010 GT coupe, in Japan's Super GT series, winning the championship. Ito said the company had no plans to build a production version of the racecar, but it could very well inspire the NSX successor. At the time, Ito told Inside Line: "There is clearly a demand for that type of car that we must answer."

Honda's groundbreaking, midengine NSX was built from 1990-'05 and sold in the U.S. under the Acura brand. In 2008, the company killed a proposed front-engined V10 4WD supercoupe, ostensibly to rival Lexus' LFA, but a racing version, with a 3.4-liter V8, carbon-fiber chassis and rear-wheel drive, survived as the HSV-010.

Honda has not yet decided whether to build another midengine coupe, this time to rival the Audi R8, or to build a high-tech, ultra-performance hybrid with a $500,000 sticker.

Ito told Autocar that Honda's next sports car would be radically different from the original NSX, focusing less on outright power and more on the power-to-weight ratio.

"You can't depend on a high power output to call a car sporty anymore," Ito said. "The original NSX was about high power, but also good driving performance, and today power-to-weight is what we have to focus on. The NSX was known for its aluminum body, so when we develop our new sports car, we don't want to copy Ferrari for power, but to also chase efficiency as well."

Inside Line says: We're betting Honda won't challenge the LFA head-on, but as usual will come up with its own unique solution.

I don't like how he's saying the old NSX was about "high" power. The NSX was considered underpowered by almost everybody. The NSX had good amount of power but it was never a "high horsepower" type of car.

I'm hoping they don't do a repeat of the MR2s 2nd gen to 3rd gen change. Basically a downgrade in overall performance.

Great minds think alike:

I don't like how he's saying the old NSX was about "high" power. The NSX was considered underpowered by almost everybody. The NSX had good amount of power but it was never a "high horsepower" type of car.

I'm hoping they don't do a repeat of the MR2s 2nd gen to 3rd gen change. Basically a downgrade in overall performance.

What concerns me is that he believed the original NSX was high hp? :confused: I just hope the new NSX does not turn out the way the MR2 Spyder was to the SW20 MR2....

You also forgot to mention the downgrade in looks too

Starting to wonder if Ito ever driven a NSX?

Nothing in that announcement gets me excited. If they can't benchmark a competitor then what are they building - what's their vision?

Power to weight is fine, but a performance metric would be nice to hear. I get they may not shoot for a 458, but build something with 991 performance or why bother? Who needs another sub 400hp car? It just doesn't do anything for me.

When the first NSX came out, it was unlike anything avaible at the time, it was the best car in the world and beat Ferrari.

Can they repeat that? Nope. Its just about impossible.

yes they can, but that would cost some..and they think it's "smarter" to invest that money in R&D for the next Civic generation so it gets 0.1 mpg more than predecessor

and that's smart like decision to leave Formula 1 when they had the winning car, but nobody of directors had the sense about it, they were too much into Civics...

I understand they can have some short term financial gains, but in a long run they are gonna lose too much, because in a few years nobody will differ Honda from Hyundai

From my interpretation, the next generation car will have less power than the Ferrari 458 Italia (562 bhp) but will able to compete at its level. This was like how the NSX was able to beat the Ferrari 348/355, despite being overpowered. Thus we can expect lighter weight and a more efficient engine, which is what Honda does all the time. Time to start saving money...

Make it like this...

HSCnewPIC.jpg

at around the same weight as the existing NSX...

with 500HP...

boom.

Build THIS or go home.

Build that front engined monstrosity that you threatened us with a few years ago (that Lexus LSA copy-cat BS) and you will only reinforce the public perception that Acura is nothing more than second banana to Lexus.

Come one Acura, YOU started the Japanese high-line market in '86...now prove that you can still lead. Lexus is eating your lunch.

..and get rid of that stupid "Tin-man / robot with a stoner's grin" front grill thing you got on all your cars!!!

I have a better plan.

let me know that this NSX will be built so I can off my NSX before the value tanks...

WOW.

What's next? = "Let me know when the next hot young babe is gonna cross my path so I can be sure & divorce my current aging wife (& mother of my kids) before hand...so I'll be available."

Cold...

If you're THAT worried about taking any kind of hit, maybe you're finances should not have allowed you to get an NSX in the first place....just sayin'.

Last edited:
WOW.

What's next? = "Let me know when the next hot young babe is gonna cross my path so I can be sure & divorce my current aging wife (& mother of my kids) before hand...so I'll be available."

Cold...

Yes.

And someone from TX is exhibiting girlie-man feewings? I'm learning something new everyday.......

Yes.

And someone from TX is exhibiting girlie-man feewings? I'm learning something new everyday.......

...and someone else is showing that their finances can't afford to take any losses. Run with the big dogs, be prepared to take a hit or two.

I'm not down for assuming the position. Perhaps u are sans Vasoline....

Have you ever considered a Civic? A lot less cost & risk of loss, I hear.

See modified post above...

So ur the one that was stuck with the stocks in year 2000.

Nice.

I've been very good at getting outta the stock market right before that, buying a second home, which I then sold in 2007.

Same thing for the NSX. If the unicorn replacement were to cum and it looked that good then why would I be stuck with the current NSX as it will probably tank in value.

It has little to do with a person's ability to afford this and that, more with running a tighter financial decision and milking every little $.

Of course u failed to see that angle...

Back