• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Frankfurt: Honda confirms 'new NSX'

Abu Dhabi, Gorgeous green Capital of the UAE
Frankfurt: Honda confirms 'new NSX'

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/259138/

Honda has begun work on a new sportscar in the mould of the iconic Honda NSX, president and CEO Takanobu Ito has sensationally revealed on the eve of the Frankfurt motor show.

However, the ‘new NSX’ will be radically different from its predecessor, with Ito stating that the goal will be to build a car that has a dramatic power-to-weight-ratio as opposed to outright power.

“I spent part of my early career at Honda developing the NSX, and specifically the aluminium body,” said Ito. “I really enjoyed that experience, and learned much, so it is my wish that Honda engineers have the experience of developing a sportscar like the NSX in future. Within Honda, our engineers are already looking at developing such a car.”

Ito declined to comment on when such a car could make production, but he stressed it would be a different vehicle to the original NSX, which weighed 1350kg and had 290bhp.

“You can’t depend on a high power output to call a car sporty anymore,” he said. “The original NSX was about high power but also good driving performance, and today power-to-weight is what we have to focus on. The NSX was known for its aluminium body, so when we develop our new sportscar we don’t want to copy Ferrari for power, but to also chase efficiency as well.”

A successor to the original NSX was originally planned to be launched in 2010, but was canned in December 2008 by then Honda CEO Takeo Fukui in reaction to the economic crisis and growing environmental concerns.

However, Ito is pushing for Honda to push its sporting credentials again, so long as they compliment its environmental stance.

“Our recent efforts have been focused on fuel efficiency, and that perhaps gives the impression Honda is behind with pushing the brand image of sportiness, but let me assure you that is not the case,” said Ito. “We will address that impression with our new generations of cars.”

1es6yf.gif

So what is it going to be? NSX had efficiency but also lack of efficiency.

When Europeans create sports cars, they always have plenty of room for later upgrades. The engine bay can always accommodate bigger engines with more cylinders. When Honda does it, they cap it out with the highest HP they can squeeze into the smallest engine and call it a day, and the performance of these cars always been surpassed by other in just a year or two, and they wonder why no one wants to buy them after first two years of production.

If Ito is telling the truth, this car will probably be a 3000 lb plus V6 engine with 100HP short of it's rivals, and holds a price tag of $100k because it was hand made with CF hood and wings.

OK, enough with the sarcasm, just put something out other than a beefed up S2k! Stop teasing us! In fact, just put that NSX with a body kit from the Avengers movie and I'll be happy.

we all know that won't happen

When Europeans create sports cars, they always have plenty of room for later upgrades. The engine bay can always accommodate bigger engines with more cylinders. When Honda does it, they cap it out with the highest HP they can squeeze into the smallest engine and call it a day, and the performance of these cars always been surpassed by other in just a year or two, and they wonder why no one wants to buy them after first two years of production.

If Ito is telling the truth, this car will probably be a 3000 lb plus V6 engine with 100HP short of it's rivals, and holds a price tag of $100k because it was hand made with CF hood and wings.

OK, enough with the sarcasm, just put something out other than a beefed up S2k! Stop teasing us! In fact, just put that NSX with a body kit from the Avengers movie and I'll be happy.

"Power to weight" is Ito-speak for something along the lines of a Lotus Elise. It may not even have a V6. I read this to mean 1000 kg and K24 + hybrid. Or a small V6 maybe...2.8L?

In fact, just put that NSX with a body kit from the Avengers movie and I'll be happy.
I'd be happy with a modern interior, perhaps some slight engine, etc enhancements and the exact same body kit that is on the 2002+ NSX's. No need to change the exterior styling, I like it the way it is :)

Maybe it is me, but that article did not seem encouraging in any way. It sounds more like an ITR resurrection than a new NSX. A new ITR in and of itself is a good thing, but it is no NSX.

Wingz is late to this thread:eek: Or he is in the local ER with palpitations:wink:

YAY, more news. :rolleyes:

Although the power-to-weight ratio and the mere mention of Ferrari are positive signs.

But it's still just "news." Here's hoping that the sportiness impression discussed is more than just discussion.

I think Caustic & Honcho are right. Honda has been on a trajectory of impressive disappointments. I'm sure they will release a car with good power/weight ratio but it will certainly be no NSX. Likely a hybrid Civic with lightweight parts.

Personally, I think this is just noise to get people's attention away from all of Honda's current disappointing products (ie. 2012 Civic, Crosstour, ZDX, etc).

I've truly lost faith in Honda and plan on keeping my NSX and simply moving onto another manufacturer to fulfill my other automotive needs. Sad really.

Already making excuses for a lack of HP compared to Ferrari. What about compared to the GTR? Corvette Z06?

This next car MUST have 500HP.

I have lost all faith in Honda for a true successor to the NSX.

I hope it's still mid engine.

Hell at this point I'd be happy with a beefed up S2K...

rear-mid or front-mid?

rear-mid

Well I guess either isn't bad as long as they keep it RWD... But I love the look of the rear mid engine setup.

Last edited:
"Power to weight" is Ito-speak for something along the lines of a Lotus Elise. It may not even have a V6. I read this to mean 1000 kg and K24 + hybrid. Or a small V6 maybe...2.8L?

Honda can't match an Elise as far as weight. Let's not forget how "heavy the S2K was.

Wingz is late to this thread:eek: Or he is in the local ER with palpitations:wink:

Very late but at least this way you can't tell anyone that my thread doesn't have enough posts ..lol

YAY, more news. :rolleyes:

Although the power-to-weight ratio and the mere mention of Ferrari are positive signs.

But it's still just "news." Here's hoping that the sportiness impression discussed is more than just discussion.

He's using Ferrari as a cop out so not really a good sign , but hey show of hands how many people here thought the next NSX would be a 458 Italia competitor:rolleyes:

Already making excuses for a lack of HP compared to Ferrari. What about compared to the GTR? Corvette Z06?

This next car MUST have 500HP.

I have lost all faith in Honda for a true successor to the NSX.

I hear ya Net but forget about it with the V10 gone we will not see a 500hp NSX. If we see 400-420 including IMA assist it will be fortunate.

I hope it's still mid engine.

It will be rear mid engine. V10 gone and they're using a V6 no reason not to be mid engine anymore.

maybe is going to copy Ariel Atom with hybrid and a new type of transmission.

Unlikely. Seriously guys this car in production will be between 3400-3500lbs. Realistically you have IMA , SHAWD , Non aluminum body and shared components.

I think it sounds great but don't forget this is coming from ITO. Ito almost always reverses himself. He might just be trying to say "Hey the interior is going to be using such cheap thin plastics that we won't need to make a lot of HP" :wink:

You guys are blowing the 500 hp territory out of proportion. 400 hp is more than enough to be considered high performance, especially if there is room for aftermarket and power upgrades. If it is indeed a hybrid, then it should be knocking towards 500 hp, but we know that will not happen. There should be a conventional engine trim for aftermarket turbo options if the hybrid is going to be under-powered.

What concerns me is that he believed the original NSX was high hp? :confused: I just hope the new NSX does not turn out the way the MR2 Spyder was to the SW20 MR2....

305hp is the best they have right now... 290hp is pretty high still. lol. ok, lets say an S2k but wider and sexier looking like an NSX and a roof... so add some weight. however, he did talk a lot about aluminum, so lets make the car out of aluminum... so that should drop the weight to at least 2500 lbs. wouldn't be too bad.

305 hp V6, 2500lbs, RWD... looks something like this... yay or nay?

usznu0pz.jpg

305hp is the best they have right now... 290hp is pretty high still. lol. ok, lets say an S2k but wider and sexier looking like an NSX and a roof... so add some weight. however, he did talk a lot about aluminum, so lets make the car out of aluminum... so that should drop the weight to at least 2500 lbs. wouldn't be too bad.

305 hp V6, 2500lbs, RWD... looks something like this... yay or nay?

usznu0pz.jpg

Nay. We want mid-engine! I'm sure many of us up here can live with an up-to-date mid-engine NSX, even if it only had 350 hp. There is always room for forced induction :cool:

Back