• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From NSX into Gallardo: Impressions

I’ve just upgraded from a 91’ NSX to a 2005 Lamborghini Gallardo and thought you guys might like to read a critique.

I’m becoming known as “Author/Philosopher, Ronald E. Springer,” having developed a nature based philosophy titled Moral Armor, but as a native of Detroit, I have an extensive background in vehicle design. My exotic vehicle history over the past 15 years is: a Black 86’ Lotus Esprit Turbo, a White 87’ Lamborghini Countach QV (Carbureted), a Black 91’ NSX and now a Black 05’ Lamborghini Gallardo.

Ingress/Egress: Seat bolsters are more pronounced in the Gallardo, so it’s a bit less smooth getting in (at least the seats don’t have the big, intrusive side bolsters that the Ferraris have. Only a twig-boy with no lats could be comfortable in those). The sill is leather, so you cringe each time your foot drags across it, which with the loss of leverage is almost guaranteed to happen. The same problem exists getting out. First you drag your foot across it, wipe it off, then you kick the speaker, ala NSX. After wiping that off, you carefully guide your other foot out trying not to repeat the trauma. Countach wins this round.

Hinges and latches: Phenomenally strong and sure in their design, it’s no wonder the car doesn’t have any rattles. I liked the feel of the NSX door closing better, however. The Gallardo doors feel a bit hollow. Tie.

Seating/Ergonomics: The seats are excellent, though I’d still rate the NSX better for back support. I find myself rounding my back to absorb the shock of the tight suspension, so I can’t really blame the seat. I also find myself peering over the nose and out the side glass (due to the rounded back), as the Gallardo dash is considerably higher than the NSX dash. This is a big plus for the NSX; it gives such a feeling of confidence to have a “lay of the land” as well as mastery over the machine. That sense of being “at one” with the car is lost with the low seating and high sills.
Another thing I love about the NSX is that you can see the wheel arches and right down the nose. It’s the same in the Countach--an attribute which to me, defines an exotic car. You can’t in the Gallardo. The arches are not pronounced enough, and the windshield is too far forward—displaced from the driver. I’ll have my seat shimmed to try to get that feeling back.
I'm amazed (after the Countach) that you can actually see out of this car. Believe it or not, seeing out the back and sides is almost as good as the NSX. And the side mirrors are not only a work of art, they're the perfect size.
The footrest in the Gallardo is too thin. My foot continuously slips off toward the clutch. With the NSX, I used to tuck my foot behind the clutch pedal to stretch out on long drives. That’s impossible in the Gallardo as the pedal comes down too low, so my left foot does a constant dance to get comfortable. In addition, I chopped my Reeboks down on the sides because the pedals are so close together I kept tangling feet while downshifting. I should’ve tried E-gear.
My elbows aren’t too happy either: The door arm rest should be deeper to make the cabin more roomy, and it has no padding whatsoever. The other elbow rests on leather that comes to a hard edge around the parking brake, so the only way to be comfortable is to drape your arm over into the passenger side. This could be good for your relationship…
I originally thought the interior was more cramped than the NSX, but it feels about the same. Also, the beautiful view the driver has of the passenger side door trim panel and the full panoramic view outside is not lost in the Gallardo. Panning your eyes around inside the car is just as stimulating. NSX wins overall.

Instrument panel: The NSX is an example of perfection in gauge layout design. Nice big gauges, easy to read, and only what’s necessary. The dash on the Gallardo is, well, hideous. The tach and the speedo are too small and have deep cone-shaped trim that makes them impossible to read from any angle except head-on. When you do look at them, the shadows from the trim further hamper your view.
The laptop-sized digital display and cone-trim are a disaster. You get a beautiful, full color over-head view about the size of a match-box car to show you if a compartment is open: duplo nonsense. The computer screen cycles through all vehicle operations in nice big print if you’re too nearsighted to read the microscopic gauges, and gives you a host of data on mileage and fuel consumption, if you care. My opinion? TOTAL WASTE OF SPACE.
Give me visceral thrills and a clear layout to control and preserve the machine; nothing more. This is Audi’s influence at its worst; cluttering up a high performance car with gadgets designed for the elderly. NSX wins, hands down.

Switches: The silver switches on the dash are excellent. They make you feel like you’re in a fighter plane. All the dash buttons have a great feel as well; big improvement over the Countach and Diablo. The wheel stalks aren't as nice as on the NSX though, or as intuitive. I find I have to look at the wiper stalk to set it.Tie.

A/C: I never imagined A/C could be this good. Temperature and settings are independent for passenger and driver, and it feels like your sitting in a wind tunnel. Gallardo wins.

Radio: The radio gets an A for ease of use and a C- for sound quality. I’ll look to upgrade the speakers. Hopefully they’re not nightmare expensive like the ones in the NSX. NSX wins.

Storage: I originally planned to get the 360 because it has reasonable storage space, while the Gallardo reviews show approximately none. But I was surprised how roomy the bonnet storage is with the divider removed, and you can fit a golf bag behind the seats as well (but if I played golf, I’d have bought a pink Jaguar). Tie.

Build quality: After the NSX I was prepared for a disappointment, but it was the other way around. When you wash the NSX, panels give, the fascias are flexible and though designed for light weight as it should be, the car feels a bit Lotus-like at the outer edges. The Gallardo is not frail at all. No matter where you touch it, it’s a rock, and even with the tighter suspension, there are no squeaks or rattles to be heard. It’s hand-built for competence at speed just like the Countach was, and that’s obvious from every angle. Gallardo wins.

Wind Noise/Operating Noise: I was shocked at how quiet this car can be. It’s very much like the NSX in that it wails like an F1 car at the top of its power band yet is quiet in the mid-range if you want to have a conversation. The Countach by comparison was always loud, but I miss that brutality. A ten can’t touch a twelve for harmony, and though it sounds stronger than the NSX, I think the stock NSX sounds better overall.
The Gallardo has excellent sealing systems; there’s no greater wind noise than in the NSX. Tie.

Shifting: Click, click, click, get used to it. The gated shifter was annoying at first, but I grew to like the unique sound. With courage, the Gallardo is as easy to downshift as the NSX, and the clutch isn't much heavier. Seating a gear takes a bit more effort so you have to be firm; same with launching the car. Due to the AWD, there is more system drag to overcome; drop the R’s under 1000 and you’ll likely stall, but it pulls away strong and smooth if you’re sure in your engagement. Tie.

Lift System: I didn’t think I’d need this feature, but I used it in the first two days I had the car. It works well, it works fast, and it saves the front end when you’re faced with a steep incline or decline and can’t get a good angle at it. It also looks cool when you pull out of the gas station, stop at a light and then lower the car before launching into oblivion. Gallardo wins.

Traction Control: Like the NSX, it's the first button to look for and turn off. With a few hard accelerations, all the dash lights were flickering and it freaked me out. Turns out that's normal. Computers are whirring away, sensing wheel spin at all four corners, yaw, and transferring power back and forth, with the only result being a bog in first and second gear. Turn it off and she flies unrestricted, except at the limit (so I've heard). Tie.

Steering/Cornering: I’ve never driven a car that steers like this one. It turns like a carousel. No joke, it exceeds the limits of the NSX with ease. I’ve turned so hard I couldn’t keep my head up straight, and the P-zero’s still didn’t squeal. What I didn’t like about the NSX is that the steering loads up in tight turns, just when you need it to get easier. I’d spin out when reaction time was slowed by high steering efforts. Not in the Gallardo. No plowing and very well-balanced; you can lay on the power beyond the NSX threshold and it will just pull you around the corner with frightening thrust. It’ll be a long time before I have the guts to test its limits… Gallardo wins by a long shot.

Power: Turbine-like acceleration: the Gallardo is faster than the Countach, but due to the AWD system it doesn’t feel faster (you’re being pushed AND pulled). The NSX can’t touch either car in this realm--its universally-lamented downfall. The Gallardo is easier to drive fast; car control is excellent even in heavy rain, outdoing both the NSX and the Countach by a long shot.
Whenever I’d try to top-end the NSX, I’d use the full rev range and every gear. I never succeeded. It sounded great, but took so long to get to one-forty, then one-forty five, then one-fifty…In the Gallardo, I can just leave it in sixth and drop the hammer. It winds up from 90 to 150 without effort. I encountered a beautiful Audi AWD sedan the other day charging hard; I think it was the 450HP one. I could tell his car was fast and competent, but the Gallardo just walked away from him. I’m sure top-ending from third is like the Countach was: a constant struggle to control your own fear! Now, THAT’S what it’s all about. The NSX had fun power, but not scary power. This one gets a “Damn!” out of everyone who’s been in it (or they brace themselves, which is hilarious and kind of pathetic to watch). Gallardo wins.

Brakes: The brakes are phenomenal on the Gallardo. Both cars share this trait, but the 8 piston calipers are unequalled in stopping power; it’s like a motorcycle. And they squeal half the time. But jab them and they will pin you to the webbing and just laugh at our human condition. Gallardo wins.

Pitch and Roll: I was excited by the anti-pitch and anti-squat ability of the NSX; I love how it settles in, but this is ridiculous. The car just doesn’t tilt; you do. It makes you feel stupid. I’m afraid we’ve met the limits of the human body in performance car design, and it’s time to start reverse engineering. Tie.

Wow! Factor: I’m jaded by the cars I’ve had, and I think the NSX is a near-perfect design. But the Gallardo has something the NSX doesn’t and it’s obvious to all. I figured the neighbors would barely notice the new car, but children, parents, old people, EVERYONE came out of the woodwork to gaze in awe at the Gallardo. Out on the road, people whistle, scream, maneuver to get close and start racing each other; it’s entertaining. (The Countach was worse; it got enthusiastic attention, but also negative attention: a swarming, dangerous kind of attention). The Gallardo looks very masculine compared to the NSX, wide and mean like the Countach, and is downright intimidating coming up in the rearview mirror; everything I could want.
I was surprised that during my five-year ownership of the NSX, I rarely dreamt about it; I still dreamt about the Countach. Once I got the Gallardo, I started to dream about it, too. No question it qualifies. It’s a dream car! Gallardo wins.

Ultimately, I'm relieved that it was worth the upgrade. The NSX was always pleasant and rewarding to drive, but with the Gallardo, my face hurts from smiling so much. And NSX ownership never got me invited to the Playboy Mansion.
I have to shrug and accept that the Italians out-did the NSX and reclaimed the throne. Still, I’ve lost a number of comforts I never expected to have in the first place. Should Honda ever build another NSX (I’ve given up on them), all they’d have to do to win is add power, torque and more masculinity to their recipe. Had I not taken a detour away from the Diablo to pare down expenses while I wrote Moral Armor, I’d be raving about the Gallardo, but the NSX showed me the wealth of pleasure to be found in thoughtful design; a joy I was very reluctant to give up. Like dumping the mother of my children to marry a super model, I’ll be forever grateful for the wholesome memories while I spend the rest of my blissful life in the gutter with the bad girl.

Attachments

• Rons New Car.jpg
    Rons New Car.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,190
Last edited:
Good review and comparison :)

Not surprised at all that the Gallardo wins overall :tongue: But it's nice to read that some of the qualities NSX has sometimes are better than todays supercars :) Sweet :)

Nice car....anxious to see how it holds up over the long haul. How many miles are on it, or were when you got it?

I love the gallardo. Maybe one day....

I am looking forward to your long term review. Reliability, Maintenance, etc.

Also, are you paranoid of parking it and leaving her all alone?

Car is a bit over a year old, had 9k miles and I bought it from Fox Valley Motor Cars (aka Lamborghini of Chicago). Great people.

I'm not all that paranoid, mainly due to the daily conditioning of the NSX. But I am somewhat back in the Countach prison of remembering to be apprehensive. It won't get left at Best Buy or at the mall, but I'll go to the grocery store and to restaurants and just ease into it.

I have little fear of maintenance, as even the Countach was cheaper than the NSX (except the clutch), and this car is Audi quality. Of course I used the Countach less.

You guys have a car to be proud of. I'll cherish my time with the NSX. It raised the bar and made me so fussy!

One negative is when I dropped in on Lamborghini of Troy (new local dealer) to show them the car and get some work quoted. They treated me like utter sh$t and gave me a gouging quote because I didn't buy the car through them. Any sane sales staff would never do that; it certainly never happened at Acura. So if there's any major work the car will have to be shipped out of state...

Attachments

• My New Race Car2.jpg
    My New Race Car2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 560
lamboman said:
So if there's any major work the car will have to be shipped out of state...

wow that sucks....
beautiful car though :smile: very, very nice

Very thorough review. Thanks.

I have read a few test drives have shown it to be a 12.8- 13.1 second quarter mile car. That was concerning. It probably had more to do with the e-gear and no launch capabilities. I'm glad that the Gallardo pulls hard from 60+ MPH.

Thoughts on modding the Gallardo?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cool car and cool review. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Many happy miles.

It's not easy to choose between a $65k NSX and a $130k Lambo. They both make good used cars.
If the interior room seems about the same how do you fit golfclubs behind the seats in the Lambo?

wagyshag said:
wow that sucks....
beautiful car though :smile: very, very nice

Some guy here ships his Murci 2000 km to Toronto to have any work done. He went through the clutch fast. I'm not sure if he ships it for oil changes.

Tony Montoya said:
Some guy here ships his Murci 2000 km to Toronto to have any work done. He went through the clutch fast. I'm not sure if he ships it for oil changes.

:eek: Holy Crap!

I agree. I thought that all Lambos have an engine rebuild time at a certain mileage which is about $70,000 to do.:frown:

This car is quite common here in San Fran. I see them weekly. Used ones are in the low $100,000s. Infact I saw one in dupont for $99,000 (usually with under 10,000 miles they range from $115,000-$150,000)and it had like 46,000-49,000 miles on it. So a $90,000 05 NSX or a used $99,000 Gallardo? I would go with the Lambo for a garage queen and NSX for a daily driver.:smile:
I like both cars.

Meeyatch1 said:
Nice car....anxious to see how it holds up over the long haul. How many miles are on it, or were when you got it?

No serious mods planned for the Gallardo, though that kit looks awesome. I doubt however that such kits undergo the extensive wind tunnel testing we do for our high-speed vehicle development (I work with the DaimlerChrysler SRT group). There's no question in my mind that the kit slows the car down.

I have such respect for high-speed design efforts, I think long and hard about any modifications (especially aftermarket wheels). Example: Removing the lower grill from the SRT8 Grand Cherokee knocks 5 MPH off the top speed (increased turbulence), and we cracked a number of aftermarket wheels due to routine track loads. Not many people are cognizant of the stresses seen from lateral forces or in the rotational inertia experienced at very high speeds. These are mods that can kill you.

The Gallardo, like the 360, has a shelf behind the seats. The seats fold forward like in a normal car and one could actually get a golf bag back there, if one were so inclined. I'll probably put a speaker in the middle though, like on the NSX. The car is actually quite a bit wider than the NSX, but due to the jutting seat bolsters, it doesn't feel like it spacially.

Last edited:
lamboman said:
My exotic vehicle history over the past 15 years is: a Black 86’ Lotus Esprit Turbo

I had a new red one back in 1986. How many cracked intake manifolds that leaked coolant did you go through? The Lotus was my daily driver in NYC and I put 40,000 miles on it in the year that I owned it. This included ski racks and numerous trips to Vermont. The last straw was when the shifter linkage disintingrated leaving various parts on Madison Avenue.

Loved the pink jag golfer remark too. There are few things gayer than golf. :)

Happy trails with your new Lambo!

The Lotus was the most labor-intensive out of all. I was happy to get it though, and didn't know what a pile it was until I got the Countach. Their motto certainly fits: "Every part falling off this car is of the highest British Craftsmanship."

The only good thing about golf is the number of "Skippy's" it gets off the road...

NetViper said:
Speaking of Lambos, looks like there is a new Special Edition Gallardo.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115648

They tested that one on Fifth Gear and didn't really understand how it was better than a regular Gallardo :) Think you just pay for the exclusivity of owning a special edition, and fancy interior/ little different exterior, almost nothing more.

But it looks amazing!!

Great comparison and a good choice if WOW value is paramount and the headaches of owning a typical "exotic" car are of no concern. NSX changed the essence of what an exotic could and in fact should be. Reasonably affordable, a joy to drive, more than enough WOW factor and utterly reliable.
In fact, I dare say, the NSX will be and already is one of the most rare of this breed of a car.
I feel that you, having owned the NSX, may ultimately find that you greatly miss its intangible qualities. Qualities that cannot be measured as easily as HP, HP to wt ratio, acceleration numbers and number of cylinders.

Enjoy the Lambo and I hope you have lotsa fun :smile:

Yep, the SE is just different paint and interior treatments, but looks bad a$$. The stock coupe has the same driveline upgrades (short gears and exhaust) for $20-30k less. Bad marketing move.

The AWD system is no doubt amazing. I drove it home through some of the worst storms we've had this spring; driving rain, high cross-winds--the car barely noticed. Very confidence inspiring. I'd never take a snow trip like that guy did, but I know I could!

I've been saying for years that the NSX is the greatest secret in automotive history. How it could be ignored by the other makers who go on making the same mistakes (or all new ones) is beyond me. But recently, the head of Ferrari publicly honored the NSX as the catalyst for a major shift in exotic car design there. I may get another 05' NSX to track if the 360 Spider doesn't bite me first...

Fantastic machine. One of my dream cars, sir.

Glad you like it and thanks for the indepth comparison

Back