• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From NSX into Gallardo: Impressions

What did you do with the NSX?

Very nice choice! I did the same recently. I had owned 2 NSX over the last 7 years and wanted a change. I had always wanted a Lambo and figured I should do it while I was still young enough to get in and out of it. I went to the Murcielago and I can tell you it has been a blast! Although - I must say I do miss the NSX and I still can't resist the head turn to watch one passing by. Congrats and enjoy.

BTW, if you are looking to mod the G-car, I have a Hamann kit for sale. It was going to be installed on the G-car I had on order. Then I drove the Murc and decided to buy it instead. The kit is new and meant to be color matched to your car. It can be viewed at Hamann's website. When I bought it the price of the kit was $8K. I understand it is now around $11K. I am motivated to sell to a good home. Please PM me if you are interested.

Be careful in your new toy... and again - congrats!

FNK

BigBull said:
Very nice choice! I did the same recently. I had owned 2 NSX over the last 7 years and wanted a change. I had always wanted a Lambo and figured I should do it while I was still young enough to get in and out of it. I went to the Murcielago and I can tell you it has been a blast! Although - I must say I do miss the NSX and I still can't resist the head turn to watch one passing by. Congrats and enjoy.

FNK

I went and checked out the LP640 and it's a hard car to stop thinking about. The driving position in the Murcie is perfect. Beyond perfect. I'm just not ready to go back into the "Countach Prison" of driving it only on the weekends, never to restaurants, never to work, etc. That car is in another class. It's truly magnificent, but the useability of the G is an overwhelming consideration, due to my time with the NSX.

Thanks for the Hamman offer, but I'm not going to do any body mods. Enjoy that monster!

Congrats and thanks for the comprehensive Gallardo owner feed-back :cool:

On a non related note, will SRT be cooperating on a Daimler-Chrysler mid-engined sports car(ME-412)? :biggrin: :biggrin:

S-TO-8K said:
Congrats and thanks for the comprehensive Gallardo owner feed-back :cool:

On a non related note, will SRT be cooperating on a Daimler-Chrysler mid-engined sports car(ME-412)? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Shhhhh! Where did you hear that? Actually, the ME412 is officially dead. Unofficially, I dropped in on the SRT/Viper group to let them check out the G. EVERYONE came down, even the guys from design office. There is talk about a new car and a possible joint venture, which the G visit was intended to help inspire.

There is also talk at Lamborghini about making the next G with swing up doors. I'd have to say I prefer it, though from a safety standpoint, normal doors are better. If you flip, you're trapped.

In many normal cars the roof will collapse to some degree in a rollover and pin the doors shut if the window is framed, so the door issue can be a problem on many cars.

The Gallardo was on the list while I was looking for my next car a few months ago. I ended up with an SL55 and I really do love the SL. But, if a Lambo dealer was closer to me I would have went with the Gallardo. I am cetain I will buy a Gallardo when the warranty is up on the SL, unless of course the new NSX comes out before.
It is good to hear the car has given you little trouble. Being that the closest dealer is 300 miles away from me reliability is a huge issue for me.
I think the Gallardo is one of the sexiest cars on the road today. I love the fact it has regular doors too, I really don't like the doors that open upward.
Do you know if Audi dealers will do oil changes and small items of repair?

Nice writeup, a small note however: "Turbine-like acceleration" is not quite flattering ;) I oughta know, I drove the Abrams tank for 3 years in the 1st cav. 1500 hp but she sure dont like to rev..

steveny said:
Do you know if Audi dealers will do oil changes and small items of repair?

I highly doubt it. Lambo techs are sent to the factory for training, and any work not done by proper dealers is going to be scrutinized under warranty claims.

My worst experience in this regard was at a honda dealer. I dropped in to see if they'd do a quick oil change on the NSX. The rude service guy responded "Why would we? We're a honda dealer." So on my way out I said, "What's this say on the sill plate?"

Khajjathefang said:
Nice writeup, a small note however: "Turbine-like acceleration" is not quite flattering ;) I oughta know, I drove the Abrams tank for 3 years in the 1st cav. 1500 hp but she sure dont like to rev..

Of course if the Arbrams weighed 3000 lbs, you might feel it in your back!

Hi,

Great write ups on what is a great looking car! Pleased to hear you're enjoying your latest toy and the NSX has a good home too.

The Gallardo is everything I had hoped Honda would build into the new NSX...:rolleyes:

It may be a while b4 I can make the same leap seeing as how they sell for £130k here ... that $250k at todays rates:eek:

Regards

What's a standard oil change cost you? How about major and minor services? At what invervals are these supposed to be done? Also, what newsgroups do you frequent for help? Not sure if these were mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks for all your help!

Oil changes are about $350 at the dealer, but I'm switching everything over to Redline Oil in spring, which will cost about triple and yield 11-33 more HP.

My next service is the 17,500 mile, which is extensive, and will be about $3500-$4500. It's expensive, but much cheaper to maintain than a Ferrari. Intervals are about every 7500 miles or so, pretty much in the $1500-$3500 range.

A clutch job is about $4500 (much better than the Countach/Diablo at $10-12k). Plan ahead!

I like www.lambopower.com for technical and car camradery. I got kicked off Fchat/Lchat rather quickly for defending myself against the high-post-count (but no-car-owning) web bullies. All forums have some amount of nonsense, but I've benefited greatly from lambopower. This site is a good-natured helpful one, too.

That all sounds reasonable, and less than I expected. OK now I've got my '07 goal in place. Thanks for all your help!

thanks for the detailed comparison and longer term feedback... sounds like an interesting upgrade option.

hal

Well after owning a 04 Gallardo and 91, 02 and currently an 05 NSX, I finally got my dream Gallardo, a 06 SE. Like the NSX, I now believe I have two long term keepers! I will never sell the NSX as historically it's been my best car ever! I can drive it anywhere, anytime, with or without a passenger and be totally confident and happy at the same time.
The SE is what the G should have always been. The limited production of 250 in 05 with only 70+ coming to the U.S. makes it more exclusive, but all the improvements are substantial! All the standard features on the SE are options on 06 and 07 MYs as Lamborghini has discovered what works well on the car. I have a glass bonnet that I couldn't get in 04. Power and heated seats with unique yellow piping and yellow stiching (over black leather). Shorter gears and a smoother E-gear box. Sport suspension that handles better and at the same is more comfortable!
The most appreciative difference is the baffled exhaust. When driving under 3800 rpm, the car is fairly quiet and when you open it up, the baffles open fully and you wake up everyone around you as well as startle yourself. It's loud!!!!!!!!!
I just got the car 2 days ago and will post pics soon.
George

Well after owning a 04 Gallardo and 91, 02 and currently an 05 NSX, I finally got my dream Gallardo, a 06 SE. Like the NSX, I now believe I have two long term keepers! I will never sell the NSX as historically it's been my best car ever! I can drive it anywhere, anytime, with or without a passenger and be totally confident and happy at the same time.
The SE is what the G should have always been. The limited production of 250 in 05 with only 70+ coming to the U.S. makes it more exclusive, but all the improvements are substantial! All the standard features on the SE are options on 06 and 07 MYs as Lamborghini has discovered what works well on the car. I have a glass bonnet that I couldn't get in 04. Power and heated seats with unique yellow piping and yellow stiching (over black leather). Shorter gears and a smoother E-gear box. Sport suspension that handles better and at the same is more comfortable!
The most appreciative difference is the baffled exhaust. When driving under 3800 rpm, the car is fairly quiet and when you open it up, the baffles open fully and you wake up everyone around you as well as startle yourself. It's loud!!!!!!!!!
I just got the car 2 days ago and will post pics soon.
George

George,

Congrats on your new ride and I bet its a blast to drive the SE Gallardo!!! Its nice that you have two great cars!!

George,

Does the SE accelerate much harder than the standard Gallardo?

What you know about morality; I could cover with spit in a thimble. You have the freedom to think any way you like; just don't be suprised when your way of thinking comes around to bite you in the ass. You want to bring back the inquisition. Are you insane?

What you know about morality; I could cover with spit in a thimble. You have the freedom to think any way you like; just don't be suprised when your way of thinking comes around to bite you in the ass. You want to bring back the inquisition. Are you insane?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Back