• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front NSX Caliper rebuild kits ... ?

Well I bought some used NSX calipers to go on my '95 prelude and I was told they were in great condition by what I thought was a reputable NSX shop (I won't give names). It turns out that one of the boots was ripped, which is no good.

So I'm looking for a rebuild kit, but I haven't been able to find any yet. I guess I've been ripped off. Any advice would be helpful, I'm not too happy at this point
frown.gif

Thanks everyone, any help is very much appreciated.

Kevin Krause

Originally posted by kev95si:
Well I bought some used NSX calipers to go on my '95 prelude and I was told they were in great condition by what I thought was a reputable NSX shop (I won't give names). It turns out that one of the boots was ripped, which is no good.

So I'm looking for a rebuild kit, but I haven't been able to find any yet. I guess I've been ripped off. Any advice would be helpful, I'm not too happy at this point
frown.gif

Thanks everyone, any help is very much appreciated.

Kevin Krause

Kevin,
I also have a set of NSX calipers on my '93 Lude VTEC. When I got them, they were also in poor condition. I ended up rebuilding them for less than $150. If it's just one boot, it'll be cheap (<$20 ??) and very easy to replace (< than 10 minutes).

Good luck.
Vic

Vic,

Thanks for the reply! Where did you get the boots/other parts to rebuild them? Where were you able to find a complete kit? (or what was included for $150?) Thanks again, if you can point me in the right direction to purchase this stuff I'd be grateful.

Take it easy,

kevin

Originally posted by kev95si:
Vic,

Where did you get the boots/other parts to rebuild them? Where were you able to find a complete kit? (or what was included for $150?) Thanks again, if you can point me in the right direction to purchase this stuff I'd be grateful.

Hi,
There is a kit listed for the newer year cars but I believe all the calipers for all the years are the same. I bought the 4 seals and 4 boots as seperate parts from a local dealer. I would suggest instead calling Tracy Townsend at GUNN Acura (1-800-328-4866) first (aka NSX Parts Guy) or A&H Motorsports (1-800-543-5525). Both sell parts at or near wholesale.

Good luck,
Vic

Originally posted by vicster2:
Hi,
There is a kit listed for the newer year cars but I believe all the calipers for all the years are the same

'97+ have different size pistons according to the specs. I haven't taken any apart to confirm.

Just to clarify:

It is true you cannot buy a "rebuild kit" for the calipers on the 91-96 cars, only the 97+ cars have a "rebuild kit". HOWEVER, you can buy all the seals and boots for the earlier cars. They are available. I just spoke with Tracy Townsend at GUNN Acura (1-800-328-4866) The cost for the complete seal set required for my 1991 (4 calipers) would be $189.06.

HTH,
LarryB

Anyone done a complete rebuild?

I'd be interested in hearing a firsthand report as I am contemplating it. I am going to do a pad swap, fluid flush and spash guard removal and am wondering if the piece of mind is worth the hassle.

Any input? FWIW, its a 94 with 45k miles.

EDIT: My orginal post was not clear that I intend this to be a DIY project combined with a speedbleeder install. I am leaning towards Carbotech Bobcat pads and Motul RBF for the brake system, clutch and ABS system. I do mostly aggressive street driving and want more initial 'bite' from the pads vs OEM.

Last edited:
White94 said:

I'd be interested in hearing a firsthand report as I am contemplating it. I am going to do a pad swap, fluid flush and spash guard removal and am wondering if the piece of mind is worth the hassle.

Any input? FWIW, its a 94 with 45k miles.

I am curious about this as well.....

Wow! Resurrecting a topic that's been dead over three years. That must be some kind of NSXprime record.

White94 said:

Any input?
I'm not the technical expert here - maybe Larry B can chime in - but it sounds like you're thinking of doing it as a preventive measure, and I'm not sure that's necessary.

In my case, I've had mine rebuilt repeatedly (by my NSX mechanic). It was always due to excessive heat from track use; the heat either melts the piston boots, or bakes them so they lose their flexibility.

Since you're not driving your car on the track, my bet is that the piston boots are fine and so they don't need rebuilding.

Of course, you can always do what I do: I keep an extra rebuild kit on hand (as Larry notes above, it's the collection of individual parts). Any time I'm having brake work done by anyone else, the parts are right there and if they find that the piston boots need replacing, they can do the rebuild. (Otherwise, they're not usually in stock at the parts department of my dealer.)

Ken / Larry / experianced others,

I am getting ready to do this myself - questions:

Did you notice any difference in performance on or off the track after the rebuild?

Since my boots have been torn for at least several months - is there a chance that they are no longer worthy of rebuilding / ruined? If so what do I look for?

Thanks for the timely thread / information.

matteni said:
Did you notice any difference in performance on or off the track after the rebuild?
No. The purpose of the piston boots is to keep dirt from getting into the calipers. The braking performance should be the same, as long as the piston boots were only recently melted/cracked/deteriorated. My understanding is that you don't want to be driving that way for a lot of miles, or dirt will start to build up and cause problems (Larry can give you a better idea of how this occurs and what those problems are).

Larry Bastanza said:
Just to clarify:

It is true you cannot buy a "rebuild kit" for the calipers on the 91-96 cars, only the 97+ cars have a "rebuild kit". HOWEVER, you can buy all the seals and boots for the earlier cars. They are available. I just spoke with Tracy Townsend at GUNN Acura (1-800-328-4866) The cost for the complete seal set required for my 1991 (4 calipers) would be $189.06.

HTH,
LarryB

FYI - the four corner kit on Dali's site is $109

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1532

The front only kit on Dali is $60

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1534

Also for those looking at doing this you may want to read up on Chapter 7 in the service manual for the proceedure.

Just curious. Does anyone know if the NSX caliper pistons are stainless or just hard chromed steel. I have just replaced my pistons in the Europa with SS as the originals were getting rather rusty where water got under the dust seals. As I plan to keep the NSX forever to keep the Lotus company, I would make this change at a rebuild if the parts were available.

Rebuilding the calipers is a pain. Whoever said in the post above that the boot takes 10 minutes to replace is smoking crack. The tech list may have some advice re: this topic if one were to give it a search. Unfortunately, some good discussions were lost in a previous conversion.

I have some pictures on my website:www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/overhaul/overhaul.htm but I never finished a DIY on this just like I never finished a DIY on changing fuel filter because these are probably better off done by an experienced mechanic rather then by a weekend warrior. Not that these things are terribly difficult to do, it’s just that they’re can be such a pain in the butt.

Nick, I think we’d all appreciate a write-up of your experiences if you end up doing this.

Tips
Blowing the pistons out
Place a wood block to catch the piston when blowing them out, as shown in the Service Manual. If you don’t block them and you forget to regulate your PSI then aim them so they will shoot out the garage and through your neighbor’s window across the street, not through your garage wall or through your NSX. Obviously, keep your hands and fingers away for maximum distance.

Putting the boots back on is one of the most PITA things a DIYer can do. At first it will at least take a helping set of hands and a 6-pack of cold beer. Once you’ve done two or three boots then the fourth is just a plain pain in the butt. The piston has to go THROUGH the boot while the boot seal remains in the cylinder. It is a tight fit and to push the piston through while keeping the seal in the cylinder and not losing your cool is daunting.

DanO

Last edited:
matteni said:

Since my boots have been torn for at least several months - is there a chance that they are no longer worthy of rebuilding / ruined? If so what do I look for?

1) No
2) If your boots are torn then there may be a chance the pistons or cylinders need to be serviced, but it has not been my experience. If there were a problem, I think one might be already experiencing brake problems: e.g. leaking pistons.

DanO

Amen DanO!!

I did a rear piston boot replacement for Peter Mills, since he tracks his car heavily, the boot was burned. PITA. Someone mentioned to me about taking a plastic drink cup and cutting it to make a kind of funnel to help get the psiton inserted in the boot, never tried it, just cursed our way through it:)

HTH,
LarryB

I spent 20 minutes today looking at the service manual on this and was pretty much scared off. I especially was frightened by the rears with the special spring tools, etc.

For DanO to be nervous about this (and this is a guy that did his own timing belt and tore down his engine / replaced the heads) - that is telling me something.

Plan B. Anyone know of anyone that does this or wants to do this on the side? I would be OK with shipping them the parts and the calipers but by the time I figure this out, by the special tools, borrow or rent a compressor and air tools, etc - it will be the next millennium!

nsxtasy said:
Your dealer, maybe?

Actually - I was thinking of your dealer!

Can you / someone PM me with John V.'s email? I bet he would do twice the job and it would come out cheaper even with the shipping costs IMHO.

Oh come on Nick! You can do it! We want you to do it! For a guy like you it shouldn’t be too bad. I figure that you’ll probably figure an easy way to slip them on with using something like a coat hanger and some toothpaste. :)

DanO

DanO said:
Oh come on Nick! You can do it! We want you to do it! For a guy like you it shouldn’t be too bad. I figure that you’ll probably figure an easy way to slip them on with using something like a coat hanger and some toothpaste. :)

DanO

Thanks for the confidence DanO but remember that discretion is the better part of valor!

On the other hand we have lots of toothpaste around here and I am sure I can do it while the kids are napping one day...

:)

Larry Bastanza said:
Someone mentioned to me about taking a plastic drink cup and cutting it to make a kind of funnel...

You're right LarryB! Tom Scarpella made some of these and somewhere (online) there are pictures of them, I can't seem to locate the jpegs in my archives right now. I think Tom had a pretty easy time of it after he made the funnel. That's why we need Nick to do the procedure! So we can see what he comes up with. Hey Nick -- give it a try -- if you can't get them to go then ship them to me and I'll put them on -- but you'll get it.

DanO

i was thinking about doing this.. about thanks to this post.. i think i will just think more...

FYI, on supra tt stock 4 pistons front calipers, rebuild kit is only 20 dollar (for the pair) and relatively easy.. will make huge difference.

i guess on NSX ... it is a different story. What is the reasonable price... or how much labor (time) would it be to replace each caliper...

-jjc.

Back