• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front plate bracket

I just picked up a front license plate bracket and was in front of the car ready to install when I noticed that the two vertically-oriented screws have nothing to thread into. Apparently the bracket within the bumper was removed, leaving only Styrofoam peeking back at me.

I've done a lot of staring at the parts diagram, but due to the angle I can't figure out the part number for that piece. It looks like it might be a 46, but that's just a clip and wouldn't have anything to hold onto within the bumper. Does anyone know what the part number is? I suppose the alternative is just to use zip ties.

front-bumper-1095679.png

Thanks for your help.

One more thing: Based on a search of the forums, I know that many (most?) of you would never think to install the front bracket, and are itching to tell me not to bother. I don't feel comfortable driving an "arrest-me red" car around in violation of the vehicle code, and that's my cross to bear. So please do feel free to tell me that I'm wrong, but include a screenshot confirming a $1 donation to the charity of your choice in the name of "NSXPrime front plate bracket swear jar." :) [removes tongue from cheek]

#40 is a clip with a threaded insert. It is used in many places, like the lower valance. Looking at the pic, #40 is also right above the plate holder.

Not sure how the OEM license plate bracket secures as I have the SoS license plate bracket.

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...nt-license-plate-bracket-kit-nsx-1991-05.html

However, as you can see from the two pictures, there are four existing mounting points. I needed nothing other than the SoS kit to mount it. Can you confirm that you have the four mounting points on your car? I would be surprised if the horizontal mounts are missing from your car as I think that is part of the underlying structure.

View attachment 146838

View attachment 146839

Assuming you have these mounting points I would return the OEM mount and get the SoS mount. Much simpler and cleaner.

#40 is a clip with a threaded insert. It is used in many places, like the lower valance. Looking at the pic, #40 is also right above the plate holder.

That makes a lot of sense now, especially looking at the part. At first I thought it would be something shaped more like the hole (see below), but it's probably just attached to the front section?

Here's the picture of my bumper. The horizontal mounting points are there as expected, but the vertical ones aren't. A couple of those #40s is even cheaper than zip ties, so I think I'll go for it and see what happens. Sounds like I'd need 'em even if I switched to the SoS bracket.

IMG_20170814_195238481.jpg

Thanks, guys!

Back