• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front tire rub - Any suggestions?

After researching tire and wheel combinations, I went with what I thought would be a great combination -- S-03s on SSR GT1 wheels. I bought the recommended tire sizes (from here and TireRack): 215/40ZR17s on 17 x 7.5s in front and 265/35ZR18s on 18 x 9s in back. I love the look, but I now have a tire rub problem on a full turn lock on the right front only. I then had Eibach lowering springs installed, which probably made the situation somewhat worse. Acura of Brookfield, who installed the springs, worked on the inner fender well with a hot air gun and rubber mallet, but they couldn't eliminate the rub entirely.

I have read some posts regarding this issue, but never one that described a sure fire remedy. Can this be resolved and/or will it "heal" itself by wearing in over time? Is there something peculiar with my X that the recommended tire size interferes with the inner fender well? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Has your car ever been wrecked? Something might not be aligned? Just a thought....
Good Luck
Z

From my experience with different sets of wheels and tires, your tire should not rub at all. I have SSR Integral 17x7 at 38mm off set and Konig Villain 17x8 at 40mm without any rub even with lowered suspension. My friend has Integral 17x8 at 38mm offset without any rubbing. All set up with 215/40/17. The fact that only the right rubs, something is wrong there. You might want to specify what is rubbing what at what steering angle. Hope that helps.
Steve

I agree, I never had rubbing with 215/40/17 even in my HR spring days.Its a long shot but if your castor and toe were way off it might allow for some rub.

Last edited:
Have you check your front right Camber? Mine front right camber is over -1.xx deg without lowering! and wheel alignment shop can't do anything about it! :mad: Factory setting is -0.33 deg.

hmmm that's wierd,
I run the same front wheel, same offset, same tire size, same tire brand, same tire type, etc...not even close to rubbing. My car is stock ride height though. I would definitly get the car on an alignment rack to see if you can solve the problem.
Aaron

Weird indeed! The mystery continues, unfortunately. I did have an alignment done at Acura of Brookfield after the Eibachs were installed. John Vasos worked hard to eliminate it without complete success. The car was never in an accident either as someone mentioned earlier as a possible reason. The rub is on the rear side of the inner fender well. Thanks to all for their inputs.

Back