• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front Tire size

On a 1998-2001 with stock suspension, anyone running 215/45/17's on the front without problems? I have Volk GT-C 17x8 with +41 offset. They came with SO-3 225/45/17, but they rub the inside fender well. I would like to go with the biggest tire I can without interference. I really would like the Goodyear Eagle F1 215/45/17. Any help PLease??

Your 45 aspect ratio is what the issue is.

215-40-17 is what you should be running. This is the most common front tire, and also is the stock size tire on a 02 NSX. You could run a Nitto 225-40-17 if you want to stick with a 225. Your 225-45-17 is taller thus closer to the fender liner when at full lock, causing the rubbing. Or you could try a 5mm spacer with your current setup to save money. This will push your wheel out towards the fender. You can get a pair of spacers for $20.

Last edited:
215/45-17s fit fine, larger side wall fills out the wheel well more. 215/40-17 is what most people run but i'm happy with my 215/45s and they dont rub. But like RP said, 225/45 is just way too big...

Best handling would be a 235/40-17 hands down on an 8" wide wheel but you'll get a little rubbing.

Now that I know the tires will fit, what is the recommemded tire pressure for street use. Do I use the 33 psi recommemded for the stock tire, or 26 psi I calculated for the load range? Any suggestions.

Best handling would be a 235/40-17 hands down on an 8" wide wheel but you'll get a little rubbing.

I agree.

For those that want a starting point on the 235's we run 235-40-17 with a +43mm offset as our goal (very minimal rubbing). This can be accomplished by ordering a +43mm wheel, or if not avail, start with something higher and fine tune with spacers. Example +48mm with a 5mm spacer will net +43mm.

Tom

The guys above are right, the standard size is 215/40ZR17.
Personally, I thought 235 was a bit too much, so I went with 225/35ZR17. My car is lowered but I have no rubbing issues at all.
I think that 235/40ZR17 is a bit too high as well.

Isn't there a rule that if you make the tire wider you should alter the height-ratio as well?
So that if you are going from 215 to 225, your height should go from 40 to a 35 series.

Isn't there a rule that if you make the tire wider you should alter the height-ratio as well?
So that if you are going from 215 to 225, your height should go from 40 to a 35 series.

Yes, but there is a formula, and you don't drop it until after a certain point.

Example
215-40-17 = approx 603.8mm tall (Standard NSX height)
225-40-17 = approx 611.8mm tall (8mm taller)
235-40-17 = approx 619.8mm tall (16mm taller)

225-45-17 = approx 634.3mm tall (30.5mm taller)
225-35-17 = approx 589.3mm tall (14.5mm shorter)
235-35-17 = approx 596.3mm tall (7.5mm shorter)

In some cases, tires are NOT avail as in 235-35-17
So 235-40-17 is the only option

I try to stay within 15mm of stock, with a max of 20mm Older NSX's tires are a tad shorter in height than the 02. Also if you change your front height, you need to change your rear height accordingly or you will have TCS issues. (many threads on this, do a search)

I am always here to answer as many NSX wheel/tire questions. I try to catch the threads, but if you need additional help, email me. (I don't check PM's as often)

Tom

Stick with 215/40-17 if you want to avoid rubbing. Also you will need to avoid getting front tires that are too large in order to keep the TCS operational, particularly on the '91-93 cars. If you're looking for great handling, just get the best tires you can in the sizes you need (e.g. Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Falken Azenis RT-615, etc).

I've read the responses and I've noticed that it is very difficult to get an OEM like fitment in the front for 17" rims for competition size tires. I've been looking at getting some Nitto NT01s and looked at their sizing chart to see what I could get.

Am I correct to assume that 215/45/17 are the best option for me?
Or is there another type that offers the 215/40/17 size?
Thanks

I've read the responses and I've noticed that it is very difficult to get an OEM like fitment in the front for 17" rims for competition size tires. I've been looking at getting some Nitto NT01s and looked at their sizing chart to see what I could get.
If this is for track use, then you really don't need to worry about rubbing (or TCS), so you can get the 235/40-17 and 275/40-17. R compound track tires available in these sizes include the Toyo RA-1 as well as the similar Nitto NT-01.

If this is for street use, you don't want to waste the capabilities of track tires on street use (and they wear much, MUCH faster), so stick to street tires. The Falken Azenis RT-615 is about as sticky on dry pavement as any street tire you can get, and it's actually marketed as "a cross between a street tire and an R compound track tire". You can get it in 215/40-17 and rear sizes of 255/40-17 or 265/35-18, and it will give you as much performance and handling in those sizes as any street tire you can get.

Thanks Ken

I run the 615RTs normally and am now wanting to try out the R compounds now that I've gotten quite a few track days under my belt.

I rarely drive my NSX anymore and when I do, it's usually at the track or on a group drive.
I was just curious what others did as far as sizing before I went ahead and placed an order for these.

Last edited:
Just sold my first set of the new Nitto NT01's on a track wheel package. I am impressed by the price, quality, and speed of delivery from my supplier. We will be running this tire at our early April event at Road America, so we will post our thoughts.
I read a magazine review of it - I forget where - and they liked it. I've also heard people claim that the NT-01 and RA-1 are identical in compound and construction, other than the tread pattern. (Nitto and Toyo are the same company.) In addition to the tread pattern, the tread depth is different (6/32" on the NT-01, 8/32" on the RA-1), which may not matter if you're getting them shaved, but may mean less of a need for shaving. As you mention, the pricing is good, only a few bucks more than the RA-1, which is one of the least expensive R comps around.

I've been very happy with the RA-1 (for track use, of course) but have considered switching to the NT-01. Looking forward to your review.

Ken, they are WAY cheaper for the sizes that we run.
That's interesting! I'm used to buying 205/50-15, for which the NT-01 is $134 with free shipping from Discount Tire Direct, and the RA-1 is $121 plus shipping (figure $10/tire) from Edge Racing. So in that size the RA-1 works out to be a few bucks cheaper.

That was also one of the reasons I went to the 225-size in front, to increase my front grip under braking. Did it make a noticable difference with the 235-size? What tire are you running in the rear?

275/35/18 in the rear.

Check out my thread on going 100MPH in the rain.

I feel more confident than when I had the 215 in the front on weit weather speeding.

Not exactly a match for the original question but I just installed 225/45/16 Kumho Ecsta SPT fronts on OEM wheels. I have not detected any rubbing anywhere so far including full lock parking. Have not driven fast yet on the tires to evaluate more dynamic behavior.

Not exactly a match for the original question but I just installed 225/45/16 Kumho Ecsta SPT fronts on OEM wheels. I have not detected any rubbing anywhere so far including full lock parking. Have not driven fast yet on the tires to evaluate more dynamic behavior.

You should be fine with those- they're 16" wheels. Where folks get into problems is on 17" and 18" rims.

On my Volk LE37K, 225/40-17 are the way to go, if that size is available in the tire brand you prefer. Nitto has them; many brands don't. Otherwise, it's usually a 215 you'll haveto use. On a similar size set of Prodrives I've got now which I want to fit out with Eagle F1-GS-D3's , I'll need to get 215/40ZR17- a 225/40ZR17 is not available, though a 225/45ZR17 is - which would rub.

You should be fine with those- they're 16" wheels. Where folks get into problems is on 17" and 18" rims.
Not exactly true. For any given car (assuming the ride height is held constant), clearance is determined by three things: the outer diameter of the tires, the tread width of the tires, and the positioning of the tires (which is a function of offset and wheel width). Some people have had rubbing problems with 225/45-16; others haven't.

225/40-17 are the way to go
Same thing with that size; some people have had rubbing problems, others haven't.

Part of the reason for different results with the same nominal tire size is due to differences in wheel width and offset, and in lowering; part of it is due to differences in tire size (not all makes and models of tires labeled with a given size are the exact same size).

If you want to be sure you're not going to have rubbing, the way to go for 16"/17" wheels is with 205/45-16 or 215/45-16 front, and 245/40-17 or 255/40-17 rear; with 17"/18" wheels, it's 215/40-17 front, and 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 rear. These sizes also won't experience problems with the TCS and won't degrade your acceleration with taller "effective" gearing.

Back