• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Funny moment at NSXPO...and how Primers are actually savants...

As I am driving the car through turn 14 at Road America I get a CEL and my traction control light comes on. Not knowing why this occurred and since I am afraid to spin my car into a concrete barrier, I decide I will take the final few laps in 3/4 speed mode and go and see the tech team assembled in the garages. I pull up to the garage and while I am awaiting my turn, two Primers walk up and we start a chat about the car, their cars, codes, issues and life in general. One of the Primers (sorry gents, I don't recall the names) was from Palm Desert, CA and the other from Australia (I think).

While we were chatting, the Palm Desert Primer diagnoses the car within seconds. "Yep, you threw the CEL/TCS for a bad O2 sensor, rear bank. I don't recall if it is the upper or lower one." The other Primer nodded in agreement but implored me to remove the clock fuse to see if it resets - which I do to no avail.

So, we stand around discussing the above awaiting verification from the tech who snaps in the OBD II reader and promptly advises me that indeed my O2 sensor was faulty/throwing a code and that it does in fact cause the TCS to be turned off. With no spare Densos...I decide to continue driving as-is until I can throw on some headers and replace them all.

Hilarious that these two gents called it and then confirmation.

Naturally, I drove the car a fair bit harder knowing that now I was TCS-less (as opposed to intermittent) and wanted to test the limits. ;)

Thanks gents and hope you will come to my aid in the future! By the way, I attribute the O2 sensor going bad to my putting in 99 octane fuel at the track. I partially purchased it so as to not run out and partially to see if we have enough compression to make use of the racer's elixir. Yeah, it was a bad move.

Happy to help! As we discussed a quick fix if you are away from home is to use a 5w (I think) resistor to jump the heater circuit in the O2 sensor and it fools the system into thinking its all OK and off you go!

Cheers Scott

Happy to help! As we discussed a quick fix if you are away from home is to use a 5w (I think) resistor to jump the heater circuit in the O2 sensor and it fools the system into thinking its all OK and off you go!

Cheers Scott

Thank you, Scott. I appreciate the advice/guidance.

Back