• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

FXMD Widebody Kit

Drivers side side skirt on.
I'm getting there...

Attachments

• Side Skirt 1.jpg
    Side Skirt 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 564
  • Side Skirt 2.jpg
    Side Skirt 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 593
  • Side Skirt 3.jpg
    Side Skirt 3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 605
  • Side Skirt 4.jpg
    Side Skirt 4.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
99% of 'diffusers' (OEM and especially aftermarket) are cosmetic.

The Prius' diffuser is an exception (reduce drag, not generate downforce).

The Taitec rear diffuser is functional. A local nsx owner is a semi-retired aerodynamicist and said as long as the nsx maintains a continuous flat underside the Taitec should be quite functional.

The Taitec rear diffuser is functional. A local nsx owner is a semi-retired aerodynamicist and said as long as the nsx maintains a continuous flat underside the Taitec should be quite functional.
Somewhat. While a full flat-bottom helps to reduce turbulent air under the car, the Taitec unit will probably still be beneficial even without a flat-bottom.

Despite being probably the best and most functional mass-produced diffuser for the NSX, it is still more of a somewhat-functional copy of a real JGTC diffuser (which has a much longer and less aggressive taper/expansion/rake). The angle of the Taitec diffuser flattens out to about parallel with the ground after a short and aggressive (not ideal) expansion -most likely due to designing it around the packaging constraints of a street car.

We had this unit on our FX750 Time Attack car before designing our own -which had significant gains over the Taitec.

Billy

Last edited:
Drivers side side skirt on.
I'm getting there...

Wow! Jim we need to make you an official installer!

In regards to the design of the kit, the goal was to make it a streetable kit with mildly aggressive undertones. It is very difficult to achieve optimal aero design on a daily driven street car as the various hazzards you encounter on public roads, driveways, parking structures, etc can cause major issues with your overall driving experience.

This kit is an open canvas, and when we reveal the new FXMD Unlimited NSX you will not believe the aero work built off this base kit.

FXMDKen; Wow! Jim we need to make you an official installer!

I could do that for you, Ken....
After this installion, I have it down pat as you can see :)

Last edited:
Wow - Looks nice Coz!

We had this unit on our FX750 Time Attack car before designing our own -which had significant gains over the Taitec.

Just curious - If you don't have access to a wind tunnel to compare the two, how are you quantifying "significant gains?" I'm guessing if you put some weak springs on the back and measured deflection at given speeds that might work....

I'm trying to design my own diffusor/rear underbody now....

Dave

Just curious - If you don't have access to a wind tunnel to compare the two, how are you quantifying "significant gains?" I'm guessing if you put some weak springs on the back and measured deflection at given speeds that might work....

I'm trying to design my own diffusor/rear underbody now....

Dave
Significant gains from increased lateral g's and thus higher cornering speeds in medium to high speed long duration corners. Since we go to the same tracks often we have a lot of data to A-B compare singular changes we make like to the diffuser.

We use an AIM MXL Pista datalogger.

Probably one of the best looking kit for NSX out there. Just curious, how wide is this kit and is the sideskirt lower than the jack points?

Also what would be the estimate price for the full kit?

What I've found as I'm mounting mine is first you square them up with the lines on the scoop and the door lines. No matter where they end up, this is the starting point.
I ended up having to rearrange the front fender alittle to keep the lines on the front of the side skirts where they met the front fenders. I'm very happy how everything is coming together.
And believe me at this point, I will not settle for it's ok, I have to be able to look at it and say, Wow.

The side skirts mount to the forward spat area of the rear bumper and the front fender. I did this with 8mm bolts, large fender washers and Nylock nuts.
The side skirts also attached to the inside door jam. I did this with 4 finished screws.
Under the car the is a gap of about 1" from the top of the bottom of the side skirt to the chassis. The glass is pretty flexable so I used finshing scews and fasten it to the under carrage.
This pretty much leaves the jack point as it was in the middle and the front, just covers them up. The rear jack point is touchy since the scoop extends quite a bit.
What I did is cut out a small area at the middle jack point enough to expose the lift bar on the chassis so I can put a jack on it and raise it.
I Fastened this area with extra finish screws to keep everything sealed around this area.

If I'm lifing my car, to me it's easier to lift one complete side so I don't even use the front or the rear jack points.

Will post pictures of this area tomorrow night after I get the passengers side on.

Width...will measure it tomorrow. But I can tell you this, it's a wide sucker. I could run 255 on the fronts & maybe as big as 335's on the rears.
Not that I want to or will. I plan on running 245 & 295 for the street. 255 and 305 would be a great combination for track use if the class I run will allow it.

Ken or Billy will answer you question about cost...:)

Probably one of the best looking kit for NSX out there. Just curious, how wide is this kit and is the sideskirt lower than the jack points?

Last edited:
Nami,
Oh, I see how it is...I get the old outdated stuff already......LOL...(just kidding)
I'm as thrilled as can be brother to get your hand me downs :)
God knows I need all the help I can get :)

You're good guy my friend. I am honored to have you, Billy and FXMD behind me as friends and racing cohearts.

Seriously, I waited a long time looking at WB kits, 2 years deciding what WB kit I wanted. I knew it was going to happen, it was just a matter of whose and when.
I'm a wide body kind of guy. (Except women)

I was asked to install a Scorery, then asked by Hitoshi personally to install his new kit, I passed but kept Hitoshi as a friend.

I remember when we discussed the developement of this kit some time back. I knew it was going to be exactly what I wanted and invisioned.

You did great Ken, the design, fit and quality is superb.
I couldn't be happier and I'm glad I waited.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

This kit is an open canvas, and when we reveal the new FXMD Unlimited NSX you will not believe the aero work built off this base kit.

Last edited:
Jim,

You aren't getting "hand-me-downs" by any means. You have the first of the new design. Our racecar will have 'additions' and a lot of aero work that is additional to the base body, some of which would be too much of a compromise for the street, and most of which can be installed on your car later down the road :)

Billy

I can't believe your still up, I thought about calling you...

.....and I know that my friend, just being a wise ass.

Jim,

You aren't getting "hand-me-downs" by any means. You have the first of the new design. Our racecar will have 'additions' and a lot of aero work that is additional to the base body, some of which would be too much of a compromise for the street, and most of which can be installed on your car later down the road :)

Billy

Last edited:
Last edited:
Passenger side skirt is done.

Attachments

• Side Skirt Passenger Side Done 1.jpg
    Side Skirt Passenger Side Done 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 484
  • Side Skirt Passenger Side Done 2.jpg
    Side Skirt Passenger Side Done 2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 417
  • Side Skirt Passenger Side Done 3.jpg
    Side Skirt Passenger Side Done 3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Still have to mount the front bumper...
Still waiting for the door caps...
Have some block sanding to do and some final adjustments...
Probably in about 30 days.

When does it go in for paint Jim?

Well thats not a good thing, you didn't have much butt to begin with...:biggrin:

Ya its a nice cool 19 degrees today..

Well, we're getting there...

Tomorrow we start a week long road trip to:

Uninstall the SC and install the turbo system.
Final fitting of the front bumper with pins and latches.
Final adjustments to the widewide body kit.
Wheels and tires.

Then back home and onto block sanding and paint...

Getting close :)

Attachments

• PC120001.jpg
    PC120001.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 552
  • PC120002.jpg
    PC120002.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 732
  • PC120003.jpg
    PC120003.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 656
Back