• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

G35 Coupe vs. NSX-T

Hi,
I'm having a little dilemma about keeping my G35 Coupe, or trading it in for an NSX. I posted this on G35Driver where I am a member, but I figured it wasn't too fair to only get one side of the story, and considering the rarity of the NSX and popularity of G coupes, that there was much greater chance of finding someone with both cars on here, than on there. So here is the post again, to kinda minimize the variables :D

The problem of storing your car for the winter, and not actually driving it, is you often times start to think about trading it for something else. Or atleast, I have that problem
Well, either way, it won't be happening soon, I only really got to drive my G the end August when I bought it, September, October, and a little bit of November. I definitely want atleast one full summer with it. I just wanna know.. has anyone owned both?
Either car would be a daily driver, just some basic appearance and handling mods would be done, maybe an exhaust (MREV2 + 5/16" spacer in the G's case)
What am I dissatisfied with in the G? Uhmm.. nothing I absolutely love it, but I'm not driving it right now, and it's letting my mind wander too much. Plus, the NSX has been my favourite car for some time now. I know I could get something faster for less money, examples that come to mind: Vette, Porsche 911, STi, but... I just kinda want one. FD would also be an option, but I'm somewhat partial to my car functioning most/all of the time, especially when it's my daily.
Oh, and I do want the targa, so I can cruise with the roof off in the summer, I think that'd be pimp as hell.

Either way, I guess I'm kinda hoping for someone to tell me that they're a wretched car, I wouldn't be happy if I bought one, and that I should just keep my Coupe and stop being an idiot.

Either way, I guess I'm kinda hoping for someone to tell me that they're a wretched car, I wouldn't be happy if I bought one, and that I should just keep my Coupe and stop being an idiot.

You're in the wrong place for that!

I have an NSX for a weekender, and have for almost 6 years now. About 3 years ago, I cross shopped a G35c and a 330Ci for a daily driver. Bought the 330Ci, but IMO neither is in vaguely the same category as an NSX. Not really even close.

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever driven an NSX? If not, you really should. Post up your location and maybe you can hook up with a prime member and get a tour/ride.

I'm in Toronto, Canada. Right now I'm "suffering" through the winter in a Toyota Solara, and I can't stop thinking about getting back into something with a suspension and gearbox not made for an elderly gentleman :D

Post up here and I am sure one of the Canadian guys would be happy to show you around the car.

Welcome to the forum. Try not to freeze your nuts off up there. I was in Michigan last winter and don't miss it a bit.

Haha, thanks! Yea, we got dumped on in a major way on Sunday, the roads were ridiculous. I guess that's the only time I was glad that I was putting around in a FWD with winter tires :D
Oh, and it's good that you're not that close to here, you'd probably hate me because I will end up owning your car's twin :p If I do buy one, it will be a pop-up light, white with black roof guaranteed.

I have a 06 G35 coupe and a 91 NSX. I love them both but the NSX is just amazing to compare. :wink:

My girlfriend has a white 05 G35 coupe but I drive it everytime we both use it. I absolutely love how this car looks and sounds now. It look very "japanesey" if you know what I mean. I installed Top secret front bumper, Ings skirts, bronze volk te37, hks ti exhaust, eibachs, and intake. I actually just drove this car 1100 miles this weekend and it is a very comfortable car for daily and long drives.

Now performance wise, it is a boat compared to the NSX. I hate the brakes, I hate the soft suspension, and its heavy, but the backseat of the G is pretty comfortable.

The NSX hands-down is better in all aspects in performance, but you do get the back-seat and a great looking car (though its sad that there's so many of them out there already). If you like to drive, and pure fun get the NSX. If you want to be practical but still have a great car, keep the G. Or keep the G, and get the NSX. Problem solved. =)

All I know is that my girlfriend has been thinking of getting another car, so I'm sure I'll be sad and will miss the G when that day comes.

Did you post this in the g35driver? Post the link, I want to read it. I am also a member there.

niM

I saw this topic and figured this was a crash test comparison. Since thats about the only way a G35 compares to the nsx :tongue:

let me be the first Torontonian to offer help!

Theres a great group of NSXs around; come on out and see for yourself. We are booking for our first 2008 nsx event on May in Gananoque.

G35s are nice cars, but theyre not comparable to any year nsx. I am also not sure where you find faster cars for less money; thats a misconception. Ive never found STis faster than my 02 (but theyre way cheaper).

97+ nsxs are very low 13 second cars. Equivalent to any reasonable911 comparison to 2005 and aside from the z06 at least as fast as a c5 vette.

Add a supercharger (like a bunch of us in TO have) a
and youre in 911TT territory for less dough than that car.

regardless, come on out one day and take a look. I think that a better comparison for a G35 is a 3 series BMW or even a 350Z. The Honda comparision is either a TL or whatever the sedan is, or if you're looking for a sports car, the S2000. G35 is a sportyish sedan. NSX is a 2 seater exotic sports car. Two cant be cross shopped.

Last edited:
NSX hands down...

G35s are nice cars, but theyre not comparable to any year nsx. I am also not sure where you find faster cars for less money; thats a misconception. Ive never found STis faster than my 02 (but theyre way cheaper).

97+ nsxs are very low 13 second cars. Equivalent to any reasonable911 comparison to 2005 and aside from the z06 at least as fast as a c5 vette.

Add a supercharger (kike a bunch of us in TO have) a
and youre in 911tt territory for less dough than that car.
regardless, come on out one day and take a look.

I think most people think the NA1 numbers apply to the NA2 as well and that's where this misconception comes from.

I currently own a 2006 G35C as my daily driver and a 1994 NSX as one of my weekend toys. I couldn't imagine the G35 being a weekend toy. It's not in the same league as the NSX and it really isn't as fun to drive. The NSX is far superior to the G in everything it does, including sitting in the garage. My suggestion is to dump the G and get the NSX. End of story. :biggrin:

I am sorry there is no G35 Coupe vs NSX or NSX-T period.......have your really researched the NSX? If you did you would know they are not in the same league.

Start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSX

NSX is an limited production EXOTIC car it is Japans only exotic car....G35 is not..... The G35 is not in the same league as the NSX period......you need to compare your car to 350z, S2000, regular 3 series bmw, etc.

Thats like me saying should I trade my civic si for the M3 or not......not in the same league buddy sorry.

Not taking anything away from the G35, G37's......nice car but definitely not in the same ballpark.

Thread on Driver is here: http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2533388
I definitely agree on the G never being a weekend toy for anyone, but even if I were to get an NSX, it would be my daily. The reason why I'm considering it, is because from what I've read, it is the only exotic that is useful enough to be a daily. Except for maybe the Audi R8 now, but I can't afford one of those yet.
So one thing I figured out from this is that I would definitely need an NA2, as they are noticeably quicker, am I right?
The one thing bugging me about making the switch, is that I would not be able to afford a 2005, nor would I get one if I could, as I much prefer the pop-up light look, so I would end up having an older car than I do now. I'm well aware that it's a much better car, but the older part still kinda bothers me. Either way, I'd love to come to your meet when you have it, so I'll be browsing the Canadian section. That is if you don't mind a white G35C tagging along :D
I was just doing some quick price checks as I typed this, and turns out I'm looking at about 45K USD for it. I was originally thinking it'd be more in the 35-40 ish range, but I guess that's not too bad. There's actually one for sale right now, with pretty much the exact same mods I would do to it, but it's 50 grand, and it's a coupe:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=1722
Actually... I really want that car... But this is such a bad time for me to buy it...

Thread on Driver is here: http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2533388
I definitely agree on the G never being a weekend toy for anyone, but even if I were to get an NSX, it would be my daily. The reason why I'm considering it, is because from what I've read, it is the only exotic that is useful enough to be a daily. Except for maybe the Audi R8 now, but I can't afford one of those yet.
So one thing I figured out from this is that I would definitely need an NA2, as they are noticeably quicker, am I right?
The one thing bugging me about making the switch, is that I would not be able to afford a 2005, nor would I get one if I could, as I much prefer the pop-up light look, so I would end up having an older car than I do now. I'm well aware that it's a much better car, but the older part still kinda bothers me. Either way, I'd love to come to your meet when you have it, so I'll be browsing the Canadian section. That is if you don't mind a white G35C tagging along :D
I was just doing some quick price checks as I typed this, and turns out I'm looking at about 45K USD for it. I was originally thinking it'd be more in the 35-40 ish range, but I guess that's not too bad. There's actually one for sale right now, with pretty much the exact same mods I would do to it, but it's 50 grand, and it's a coupe:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=1722
Actually... I really want that car... But this is such a bad time for me to buy it...

I was actually looking to buy a NA2 myself 97+ and even considered a 2004 model.....but after researching and talking to Jon Martin....there are more mods for NA1 back then at least for me then there was for NA2.......Most of all the faster cars are NA1....plus I wanted a coupe not a hardtop.....there is nothing you cant do to a NA1 to make it comparable or faster to a NA2.....basically you are splitting hairs at that point in differences.....stock for stock of course NA2 is faster but once you start modding a NA1 then its all the same or better.......I personally like the pop ups vs the bubble headlight look(sometimes I am back and forth a lot though)......but its all in your preference......but I do prefer the 02+ rear end and sideskirts so I have taken some of this and that to make my car suite my needs. Good luck on your search and your cant lose either way.......an NSX is an NSX......

By the way its always the G35's and 350z's that always seem to have to prove something when they see me cruising in my car.......must be an ego thing for them.....don't get it.....:cool:

Last edited:
That car you linked is an NSX-T. It has the removable roof.

All 91-94 are fixed roof.
All 95, 2002-2005 are NSX-Ts
All 1999 Zanardis are fixed roof
ALMOST all 96-01s are NSX-Ts. Some were special order coupes, these are VERY rare.

Okay, taking all that into account, I did some research, and it looks like I could get an NA1 and S/C it for about the same price as getting a stock NA2. The thing that bugs me though is, all the t-tops seem quite a bit pricier than the coupes, and I really think I want a t-top. There's just something about being able to cruise with the top off that appeals to me so much :D Either way, the only white car has 71,800 miles, which is considerably more than what I would want my car to have. There really seems to be a very small number of white cars, and a ridiculously large number of red and black ones.
Ah well, I still need to test drive one and get a feel for it first. I may end up changing my mind on it. When I bought my G35C, I was looking for an S2000 or an RX-8. I drove the RX-8, thought it was slow as hell, and the Honda dealer didn't have ANY S2000s to let me test. The Infiniti dealership just so happened to be between the two, and I drove the G Coupe. It was ridiculously better than the RX-8, so it ended up being a no brainer for me. Who knows how things might've gone if Honda actually HAD an S2000. To this day I still haven't driven one.

There has never been a better time for a CDN to buy an NSX!

The dollar makes all the difference in the world. Three years ago when I was shopping, a 98 was almost $70k CDN! I ended up with my 02 for a fair bit more, as you'd expect because its a newer car.

Barring winter, I daily drive mine in Toronto. It has been AMAZING.

I wouldnt confine yourself to a 97+. I would consider well kept 91-94s also. They're cheap. As beautiful. And because they're lighter then the targas, the smaller engine isnt that much of a hinderance. 95/96 targas are going to have the weight of the targas and the smaller engine, so keep that in mind. The transmission in the 97+s probably makes up more in performance then the bigger engine does vs the pre 97s.

Dude - S2000s are awesome cars. Plus, you can bring one up for less then $20k. There are hundreds of them forsale in Trader. You should have no problem finding a good cheap one, if that is the type of thing you are looking for.

My old S2000 was easily as fun as my NSX. Different category of car, but man, was it a riot.

AP1/AP2 with a little force induction is the best high. hahaha...

I drive my 97 NSX all year round in winter. I live in northern Alberta where the temperatures range from -8C to -40C. You need some blizzaks and weight in the back then you're fine. I commute about 950 km on the highway every 2 weeks. The biggest problem you're going to have is answering to everyone why are you driving it in the winter. My answer is cause I love my car. I bought it cause I knew it could be daily driver. I also have a BMW 325 which I parked and haven't driven since I bought my NSX. I like the G35 but if you don't buy the NSX you're always going to think about it. Once you buy the NSX you're you'll never think about buying the G35 again. It's a one way street if you know what I mean. Most of the guys here that have X's. The one thread that I say a guy moving on was buying a Gallardo. Thats the type of cars they move on to.

I'm in Toronto, Canada. Right now I'm "suffering" through the winter in a Toyota Solara, and I can't stop thinking about getting back into something with a suspension and gearbox not made for an elderly gentleman :D

Given the weather, i'd sell the Solara, and get an SUV!!!

for the summer and maybe weekends the G would feel much nicer to drive, after getting out the SUV.

But, the NSX would be amazing!!!

Then there is the just sitting in the Garage factor... Just walking past the NSX sitting in the garage is weird. Its both torcher (you wanna get in and drive but can't) and delight because it just looks so awesome....

In your shoes (daily, want -T) I would consider a 95-96.

Coupes (91-94) or the 3.2/6speed 97+ are what everybody gravitates towards with the rationale that 95-96s are slower. True, but only marginally and the pricing reflects it. Don't get me wrong, the 97+ is nice. But, I sure wouldn't let anybody talk me out of considering the 95-96 if I wanted a targa and a bargain.

Example Green/Black 95 with 71k for $29k

An S2000 could only be a second car for me. I'm sure they're an excellent car, which is why I originally wanted to buy one, but after owning a G coupe, I wouldn't be able to. I am not able to ever make a downward move with any vehicle purchase. This would be the same as someone suggesting that you change your NSX for a Corvette. The car may have more performance on it's side, but it is of lower stature, no matter how you look at it, and it is a step down. It would bother you every time you get into it.

As for winter... I don't think I'd be able to put the car through that. This winter, someone hit my Solara, and it happened to be a co-worker, so I was really glad it was just my beater. Everything got worked out well, he paid for my repairs, and we're on great terms. Had he hit my G, I... would want to stab him. If I had an NSX, and he hit that, I probably WOULD stab him.
The Solara is staying as my beater for some time to come, because it's a rare 5spd manual V6, black on black leather, with really high mileage so I could never get decent $ for it. But I know what you mean, I stare at my G everytime I visit my parent's house (I stored it there instead of my place, they have too many garage spaces anyway :D)

The 95-96 is definitely worth a look, but I intend to test all 3 pop-up light models. Sometimes I find that the price difference is worth paying. When I was buying my G, there was a pretty steep price jump for the 05 model year that I have, due to the much improved interior, better motor, stronger tranny, etc. After driving both, I found that the plastic interior of the older cars was not something I would be able to live with, and I paid an extra $5K, to stare at a beautiful aluminum center console, instead of painted plastic. Before I actually tested the cars, I wanted to go with an 03-04, to get the Brembo brakes. It may end up being the same with the NSX, I may end up preferring a different model than what I originally wanted. Case in point that green car you linked me. When I was looking through the autotrader, I skipped over it thinking "eww.. green", but when I saw it, I thought "Man.. that green looks pretty hot, it reminds me of the Aston Martin green" Right now the only colours that I'm pretty sure I don't want are: red, yellow, silver. White is my top choice, black second, blue third and that green just got added to the list.

I'm really grateful for the amazing responses on this forum, you've managed to convince me that I definitely need to get an NSX. All that's left is for me to drive a few to decide which one I want, and to put some cash away so that I won't have to borrow too much when buying it (I hate credit :D)

An S2000 could only be a second car for me. I'm sure they're an excellent car, which is why I originally wanted to buy one, but after owning a G coupe, I wouldn't be able to. I am not able to ever make a downward move with any vehicle purchase. This would be the same as someone suggesting that you change your NSX for a Corvette. The car may have more performance on it's side, but it is of lower stature, no matter how you look at it, and it is a step down. It would bother you every time you get into it.

As for winter... I don't think I'd be able to put the car through that. This winter, someone hit my Solara, and it happened to be a co-worker, so I was really glad it was just my beater. Everything got worked out well, he paid for my repairs, and we're on great terms. Had he hit my G, I... would want to stab him. If I had an NSX, and he hit that, I probably WOULD stab him.
The Solara is staying as my beater for some time to come, because it's a rare 5spd manual V6, black on black leather, with really high mileage so I could never get decent $ for it. But I know what you mean, I stare at my G everytime I visit my parent's house (I stored it there instead of my place, they have too many garage spaces anyway :D)

The 95-96 is definitely worth a look, but I intend to test all 3 pop-up light models. Sometimes I find that the price difference is worth paying. When I was buying my G, there was a pretty steep price jump for the 05 model year that I have, due to the much improved interior, better motor, stronger tranny, etc. After driving both, I found that the plastic interior of the older cars was not something I would be able to live with, and I paid an extra $5K, to stare at a beautiful aluminum center console, instead of painted plastic. Before I actually tested the cars, I wanted to go with an 03-04, to get the Brembo brakes. It may end up being the same with the NSX, I may end up preferring a different model than what I originally wanted. Case in point that green car you linked me. When I was looking through the autotrader, I skipped over it thinking "eww.. green", but when I saw it, I thought "Man.. that green looks pretty hot, it reminds me of the Aston Martin green" Right now the only colours that I'm pretty sure I don't want are: red, yellow, silver. White is my top choice, black second, blue third and that green just got added to the list.

I'm really grateful for the amazing responses on this forum, you've managed to convince me that I definitely need to get an NSX. All that's left is for me to drive a few to decide which one I want, and to put some cash away so that I won't have to borrow too much when buying it (I hate credit :D)

Damn don't brush up against this guy ... LOL

You can always tell a Canadian they put money or pay cash. Americans want everything $0 down. That's why our dollar ain't worth sh*t and half the country is in foreclosure. Yet we still scream we don't want universal health ..sigh. Sorry I'm off the soapbox now:biggrin:

Back