• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garage Finishing Questions?

After ten years, my garage is now drywall finished. I have several questions to ask:

1. What sheen of paint would you recommend? I've been told either eggshell or satin.
2. Should I paint my ceiling a different color from the walls? Possibly Oatmeal color for walls and Dover white for the ceiling.
3. I'm going to use an epoxy for my floors. What color do you think would look good. I'm thinking about a Terracotta red.

My accent wall will be corrugate steel. My wife is pissed I'm spending so much time & money on the garage because it doesn't yield a return if sold, oh well :biggrin:

Any other finishing ideas or suggestions? My lift will be installed latter in the year :)

But it yields a return in happiness while you're there. Does anything really yield returns upon selling now?

My wife is pissed I'm spending so much time & money on the garage because it doesn't yield a return if sold, oh well :biggrin:

Not everything you fix-up needs to yield a return. You will enjoy it and at least you won't be making it worth any less.

Any other finishing ideas or suggestions? My lift will be installed latter in the year :)

You may consider faux bricks or stone on one or two walls and you won't even have to sand the joint compound that's already there.
Make it look like a cool "motorcar museum."

I really like the steel sheet material this guy used to finish his ceilings

Wow! Pricey ceiling solution but how cool would that be with a disco ball :biggrin:

I've been visiting garagejournal.com for a least a year but never registered for an account. Thank you for your post :smile:

You may consider faux bricks or stone

It's funny you suggested bricks or stone. I have one column I'm planning to enhance. Unfortunately my house is neither brick or stone but stucco. I've been told having brick or stone on the column would look out of place :(

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've built 2 and upgraded 2 more garages over the past 15 years.

My current set-up is semi-gloss on the ceiling (and walls I think), epoxy paint on floors (where the cars park) and faux brick stain in other (walking) areas.

I learned/evolved about lighting too...
I'm Tomcat here...
http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/garage/

Old discussions:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33550&d=1178635480
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59450&page=3

Also email me if you care to see more pictures or discussions...lighting, lift, [email protected]

Is the drywall work an "interior quality" job? Or a handyman special?

You can get a "washable" flat for this application. Thats what I would suggest.

It's funny you suggested bricks or stone. I have one column I'm planning to enhance. Unfortunately my house is neither brick or stone but stucco. I've been told having brick or stone on the column would look out of place :(

Thank you for the suggestion!

Yeah, you're right. With stucco? No way!
Bricks or rocks are a no-go, unless you want it to look like the Alamo! :biggrin:

Is the drywall work an "interior quality" job

Yes, my garage walls & ceiling are now interior quality :smile: A painter today told me eggshell is a good paint sheen to use. I asked why, he stated paint repair (blending) is better.

At this point, I'll use eggshell for the walls and satin for the ceiling. Now to decide which paint manufacture to use (Behr, Glidden and so on).

Back