• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Garbage Island... disgusting....

LOL...I was just trying to rattle your cage guys....Honestly i dont care as much as I should. But i do recycle quite heavily. no BS Ive put away 10K in my kids college accounts in the past 7 years from..RECYCLING!!!!!!! Yes we drink a lot of soda. I get 100-150$ every time I show up with a truck load. So maybe I do it for the wrong reasons Ill admit. But I probally recycle more than most. Here in hawaii we have 3 seperate trash cans. a gray for regular trash. A green for lawn items. And a blue for recycables. My blue is always filled. Sorry I led you guys on. Thought it would be funny:biggrin:

sadly our littering ways are disgusting but the phrase garbage island is misleading..its not a solid clump of floating trash, and the video like any blurb is skewed to make a point.Garbage exists at many levels in the ocean depending on the specific gravity of the trash as well as currents ect,they exist in clumps and mother nature has a hard time digesting plastic.

sadly our littering ways are disgusting but the phrase garbage island is misleading..its not a solid clump of floating trash, and the video like any blurb is skewed to make a point.Garbage exists at many levels in the ocean depending on the specific gravity of the trash as well as currents ect,they exist in clumps and mother nature has a hard time digesting plastic.

Yes, I actually spent some time looking this up and it looks like the "90 feet deep trash" is a little exaggerated.

The trash is more like the small particles, it is being digested but slowly and it is having a negative effect on marine life - which does effect our lives - to an extent.

I think this and many other events should be taken as a warning.

Snakey:

I knew you were either just kidding (since you claim to be LE) or that were actually a "wanta-be cop", aka security guard and just ignorant. So since you have clarified your position, I accept you were just trying to get a rise out of us. Now go right a damn littering ticket and be safe out there! :)

Garbage exists at many levels in the ocean depending on the specific gravity of the trash as well as currents ect,they exist in clumps and mother nature has a hard time digesting plastic.

The reason this "island" exists is because of the currents. The currents circle and so most of this stuff collects in one spot.

But the oceans in general are very polluted, much more so than many think. Just off the coast of Boston, MIT labs dumped hundreds of barrels of radioactive material into the ocean. Those barells have now coroded and are leaking. One of the easiest ways to get rid of trash and hazardous stuff is to dump it in the ocean. There is no policing. Many "cleanup" companies get paid to recycle and they simply load the stuff on a boat and dump it. Instant cash. Problem is that we just produce too much unnecessary plastics and all it takes is a bit more awareness and some people to cry out. I alone stopped one of my major suppliers to stop using styrofoam and use cardboard instead in their packing. Just because I wrote a few letters. Things do happen, and do get better so long as everyone doesn't make things political, argue, and do nothing. Another exampole is a chain of local restaurants that used all kinds of plastic and styro, even for people that eat there. A chain of around 30 restaurants. I emailed them as I was eating my food there. I did it about 4 times. They came back to me with some excuse and I pointed them toward a cheap supplier that whole foods uses for plates. Two months later, they were using them. Imagine how much styrofoam and plastic was saved at 30 restaurants with 1000 customers a day, 365 a year. It's not that hard. Sometimes you put in 10 minutes and make a big difference. I don't even have kids, if I did, I'd probably be even more active.

Last edited:
The poor marine life. I love saltwater fish. If I could I would transport all those fish to a new location. Thats pretty impossible tho:frown:. Im really surprised some non-profit group isnt doing something about this. If I had the cash I would buy a boat and start collecting the trash.

Any place in mind where you will be dumping all those trashes?

The poor marine life. I love saltwater fish. If I could I would transport all those fish to a new location. Thats pretty impossible tho:frown:. Im really surprised some non-profit group isnt doing something about this. If I had the cash I would buy a boat and start collecting the trash.

Any place in mind where you will be dumping all those trashes?

Can't go here! :confused:

Debris in Outer Space:
Space junk, space debris, space waste — call it what you want, but just as junk and waste cause problems here on Earth, in space spent booster stages, nuts and bolts from ISS construction, various accidental discards such as spacesuit gloves and cameras, and fragments from exploded spacecraft could turn into a serious problem for the future of spaceflight if actions to mitigate the threat are not taken now.

Between the launch of Sputnik on 4 October 1957 and 1 January 2008, approximately 4600 launches have placed some 6000 satellites into orbit; about 400 are now travelling beyond Earth on interplanetary trajectories, but of the remaining 5600 only about 800 satellites are operational – roughly 45 percent of these are both in LEO and GEO. Space debris comprise the ever-increasing amount of inactive space hardware in orbit around the Earth as well as fragments of spacecraft that have broken up, exploded or otherwise become abandoned. About 50 percent of all trackable objects are due to in-orbit explosion events (about 200) or collision events (less than 10).

Officials from the space shuttle program have said the shuttle regularly takes hits from space debris, and over 80 windows had to be replaced over the years. The ISS occasionally has to take evasive maneuvers to avoid collisions with space junk. And of course, this debris is not just sitting stationary: in orbit, relative velocities can be quite large, ranging in the tens of thousands of kilometers per hour.

For the Envisat satellite, for example, the ESA says the most probable relative velocity between the satellite and a debris object is 52,000 kilometers per hour. If a debris objects hits a satellite, the ISS or the Shuttle, at those speeds it could cause severe damage or catastrophe.

Even after the end of a mission, batteries and pressurised systems as well as fuel tanks explode. This generates debris objects, which contribute to the growing population of materials in orbit, ranging from less than a micrometer to 10 centimeters or more in size.

About 40% of ground-trackable space debris come from explosions, now running at four to five per year. In 1961, the first explosion tripled the amount of trackable space debris. In the past decade, most operators have started employing on-board passive measures to eliminate latent sources of energy related to batteries, fuel tanks, propulsion systems and pyrotechnics. But this alone is insufficient. At present rates, in 20 or 30 years, collisions would exceed explosions as a source of new debris.

The ESA says it is crucial to start immediately to implement mitigation measures. In a 2112 GEO environment with mitigation measures, a much cleaner space environment can be achieved if the number of explosions is reduced drastically and if no mission-related objects are ejected as in the “business-as-usual” scenario, without any mitigation measures taken. However, to stop the ever-increasing amount of debris, more ambitious mitigation measures must be taken. Most importantly, spacecraft and rocket stages have to de-orbited and returned to Earth after the completion of their mission.

They’ll burn up in the atmosphere, or splash down in uninhabited ocean areas. In the case of telecommunication and other satellites operating in the commercially valuable geostationary zone, they should boost their satellites to a safe disposal orbit.

There are other measures, like reducing the number of mission-related objects and controlling the risk for reentry, but these are the basics. The issue is that such mitigation measures cost fuel and operational time, and therefore they increase cost. In the commercial world, this may competitiveness, unless there is an international consensus to accept such costs.

Original News Source: ESA

400px_Trollface_HD_The_Opposite_Post-s400x365-170182-580.jpg

Can't go here! :confused:

I didn't want to quote everything you posted since it was long but what about shooting our trash towards the sun?
I'm very naive when it comes to space and the sun but what's wrong with launching a rocket with a crapload of trash to the sun to blow up?

I didn't want to quote everything you posted since it was long but what about shooting our trash towards the sun?
I'm very naive when it comes to space and the sun but what's wrong with launching a rocket with a crapload of trash to the sun to blow up?

Short answer ......... Cost!
Expensive vehicles that can only be used once for a starter.
Cannot even consider feasibility of Sun.

Load up rockets and shoot them towards the sun? How about not making so much plastic? There are all sorts of things that look, feel and function like plastic but are made of corn, soy and bamboo. I've seen pieces of plastic furniture... That were actually bamboo. It's amazing. The issue is no one wants to pay, even the smallest amount. If a plastics company makes a penny more on a product that's harmful versus a penny less on one that isn't, you can bet they will make the former. It's nature that pays the price. The ocean, the fish, eventually us. It takes either some authority to say hey Mr. Plastics manufacturer, you have to set aside one cent per unit to pay for recycling and cleaning or come up with a bio-degradable formula... Or there has to be some public demand for different materials. Right now neither exists. How many of us knew that this garbage patch larger than all of Europe is floating there? It's barely a news story. I don't have kids but if I did, this sort of thing would really upset me. Think of what they will get in 50 years. It's pretty crappy. In fact most scientists say in 50 years there will be almost no fish left in the ocean if we keep going like this.

Last edited:
This is all my own theory.

Recycling is a tricky subject. It may be better if no energy is used. We may need to stop the cause for recycling. Should not be creating something that involves recycling. I believe it's an excuse and delay tactics started by the same lobby that create them. We may be playing our role satisfying them.

We moved away from nature. We better get back in time.

Last edited:
Wow I don't even know where to begin...

Nor do I.

Once again you are complaining about a situation that you yourself are creating....and self admittedly- because of your profession...at a much greater pace than others.

Why, instead of whining, don't you and Oprah ( a woman worth billions) do something about it?

I'm sure you two closet capitalists could make a few bucks recycling all that plastic. :wink:

Last edited:
Maybe UN can be useful once and buid s giant recycle ship and clean it up while mad some money.

Nor do I.

Once again you are complaining about a situation that you yourself are crea
ting....and self admittedly- because of your profession...at a much greater pace than others.

Yes I'm a "closet capitalist" and I like to complain about things I myself do. Is this enough admission for you to stop talking about me on your posts? :rolleyes:

This is all my own theory.

Recycling is a tricky subject. It may be better if no energy is used. We may need to stop the cause for recycling. Should not be creating something that involves recycling.

Not all recycling is the same. While it takes a lot of energy to recycle a plastic water bottle, it takes a lot less to recycle a paper cup... Or a water bottle made of corn. I think "bio-degradable" is what you want to strive for and you let mother nature recycle for you. Eventually everything will get recycled by nature, but stuff that takes 3000 years to break down harms us and other species. And we are making this stuff at a much faster rate than nature can do anything with.

Yes I'm a "closet capitalist" and I like to complain about things I myself do. Is this enough admission for you to stop talking about me on your posts? :rolleyes:

Well at least you're honest! :wink:

I was mowing my grass today and I was astounded at the amount of other folks' trash that had collected on the front part of my lawn. It was all plastic and styrofoam. And I thought I lived in a nice neighborhood. :mad:

Wow, how did I miss this fine post by Snakey. Just one in a long line of carefully thought out and educational posts. :biggrin:

why not convert a fishing trawler *sp thats modified with a screen that will sift thru the plastic particulate? i know fish might get caught in it but u'd have to monitor that closely and release them...... not impossible but not easy either... :redface:

why not convert a fishing trawler *sp thats modified with a screen that will sift thru the plastic particulate? i know fish might get caught in it but u'd have to monitor that closely and release them...... not impossible but not easy either... :redface:

Yes, except more stiff gets added in an HOUR that it would take a trawler to pickup all week. This "patch" is larger than all of Europe now. Do you have any idea how big that is?

And the sad thing is, this is just shit that floats... the plastic... at the bottom of the ocean is the larger 3/4 of the stuff that doesn't float. The amount of polution is just mind-boggling.

Back