• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gauging Interest, Carbon Fiber Headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update Pricing and information and pictures.

Basic information
-Full carbon fiber "I could cut costs and offer just one layer of carbon but that's not how I work or the product I want to offer"
-Lightweight and stronger then factory
-Sun visor deletion "this is because eventually ALL sun visors will crack and harden, and that if you want to wrap your interior yourself and do not have sewing skills then you can. Wrapping this headliner and the other parts are an easy DIY and completely changes your car interior from grey to black
-Automotive clear coated
-Made by myself and not outsourced somewhere like "others". Updates are readily available since most have my cell at this point.

Now I understand that not everyone will agree, but as I mention before most of these items I make because I need them and then produce them for you guys. Thank you for your support thus far and I have some other things stirring up as I post this but probably won't get to them for a few months/summer time. Don't worry you 95+ guys, they fit on your car this time :biggrin:

Pricing and sign up. A deposit of $100 will be due to ensure your spot on the list. I'll be ordering enough supplies to do this entire run as long as things go as planned. My prices typically include shipping, but in this case it will NOT because of the sheer size of the box required. I truthfully have no idea how much it will cost to ship but I'd say from New Orleans to anywhere normal in the US roughly $50-100. The box is fairly light but pretty large.

I also have no issue installing these and will do so if you are willing to drive to me. I can also walk you through the steps or post up an install guide to help you.

First 3 committed buyers $800 full carbon
1. Speedy93 "Deposit Paid"
2. IsR "Deposit Paid"
3. regular "Deposit Paid"

All buyers afterwards $1000 full carbon
4. cherylmejia

For those who want to wrap meaning I may experiment with fiberglass, maybe kevlar, or other random stuff that will need to be wrapped in material $600

Headliner before trimming
headliner_3.jpg

What a bad wrapping job will do "yes I did it"
Old_vs_new.jpg

Driversside1.jpg

driverside3.jpg

passengerside1.jpg

passengerside2.jpg

The back of a my carbon fiber parts. This typically is where you can tell craftsmanship because many you will see paint, woven fiberglass, or even.... chop strand mat backing...
backconsole.jpg

Last edited:
depends on price, my headliner just started sagging. I am going to have to do something soon.

I'll chime in here. I've had my DF carbon headliner for a few years now. I bought it when they had a short run on them. I also have the NSX-R black sunvisors yet rarely use them. Actually a 3 inch piece of tint would be as good as them. Nonetheless, the headliner has brought me more compliments at gatherings/carshows than anything else on the car. I still love looking at it like it was brand new. Don't be a slacker on this product because it's the coolest thing you can do for your interior.

- - - Updated - - -

If you really really need sunvisors, you can just lay your old headliner on top of your carbon liner and mark your 2 triangular holes and dermal them in about 2 minutes. Presto you have visor access. :wink:

I'll chime in here. I've had my DF carbon headliner for a few years now. I bought it when they had a short run on them. I also have the NSX-R black sunvisors yet rarely use them. Actually a 3 inch piece of tint would be as good as them. Nonetheless, the headliner has brought me more compliments at gatherings/carshows than anything else on the car. I still love looking at it like it was brand new. Don't be a slacker on this product because it's the coolest thing you can do for your interior.

- - - Updated - - -

If you really really need sunvisors, you can just lay your old headliner on top of your carbon liner and mark your 2 triangular holes and dermal them in about 2 minutes. Presto you have visor access. :wink:

Yeah the downforce one has the cut outs for the sunvisors. That's another reason I choose to not include them. I toyed with the idea of sourcing other sun visors from other cars that were black since the 91-94 models came with black, unless you order the nsx-r sun visors. But to my knowledge all the inner components are the same so eventually they'll split like the other grey ones. I mean 10-20 years, but still non the less will split eventually...

If your headliner is sagging I'd suggest just gluing it down again. Sagging material isn't a hard fix. But if you're looking to change your interior look from grey to black then this is a great options since it's a DIY mod.

I've tried searching for some of the nsx-r material encase anyone wants to wrap theirs. Alcantara is a pain to wrap since it basically has no stretch and I'm not skilled enough to do it on a headliner. If anyone can lead me in the right direction for that material though I'd appreciate it. I've reached out to members here but none have gotten back to me although they did offer to help but I think it's not in production anymore or maybe I'm not searching in the right place.

- - - Updated - - -

Pics?

What would the price be? And would it give me more head room?

Is the headliner the same for coupe/T roof?

What would the price be? And would it give me more head room?

Price is going to depend on a few things so yet to be determined. Most likely two options

1. Full carbon for show
2. Fiberglass or something for wrapping in full in whatever material your heart desires

Is the headliner the same for coupe/T roof?
The coupe and T's are different. I actually believe there's 2 models for T's also since there's 3 different styles of front interior pillars.

Hey man, this is awesome. If this works out. You'll probably be needing more space. I'll be interested in the carbon fiber!

I'm in for CF. :)

But out of curiosity, if there is enough demand for sun visors will you be implementing them into your prototype?

Just my .02. Since the OEM visors rest on the headliner, carbon visors would actually IMO leave markings on the headliner after a period of time. I personally don't see carbon visors as an attractive feature. For the price of carbon visors, you could
actually go with the NSX-R black visors which would compliment the headliner. Again, just my .02.

YEEESSSSSS!!!!! i was looking into doing this for some time now. i always drive with my windows down and my headliner is always dusty, my headliner is tan and no matter how much i clean it, it always seems to look dirty. i hate it. plus ive changed all the rest of my interior to black, so my headliner is a eye soar to me. i'm glad someone with skills is willing to do this, cause i'm still not sure how i would get it done. sunvisors i dont care about, but i would still like to retain the interior dome light. i'm in! let me know what you need.

If your headliner is sagging I'd suggest just gluing it down again.

So the OEM liner is glued in place? Will it get stretched out of shape or otherwise damaged during removal? I think I'd like to try this mod, but don't want to sacrifice the OEM liner in the process, just in case I want to reinstall it later.

It is not stretched nor glued. It simply has 4 mounting tabs.
So the OEM liner is glued in place? Will it get stretched out of shape or otherwise damaged during removal? I think I'd like to try this mod, but don't want to sacrifice the OEM liner in the process, just in case I want to reinstall it later.

It will retain the original shape of the headliner with the recession squares to keep that headroom. I'll post a picture of the plug in a bit.

The headliner is made of flimsy fiberboard so just be careful removing it when you do. You can probably just use spray adhesive to help with the sagging vinyl.

I'm still looking though for nsx-r headliner material. This would make wrapping the parts an easy DIY.

I used a material that resembles the NSX-R shift boot to recover my glove box and knee bolster. I also plan to use it for my headliner this spring. Not quite NSX-R headliner, but looks good. Here's a pic
IMG_20131217_193520.jpg

I used a material that resembles the NSX-R shift boot to recover my glove box and knee bolster. I also plan to use it for my headliner this spring. Not quite NSX-R headliner, but looks good. Here's a pic
View attachment 109686

That's awesome. PM'ed you.

Depending on the material price you could wrap my headliner, the A pillars, and seat belt cover panels with probably 2-3 yards of fabric. When I did my headliner in alcantara I ordered 2 yards but that's only because it's wider then 36 inches but have fabric left over.

Also my local friend Jay who purchased a red nsx recently hasn't signed up for prime but he painted my plug for me at his shop today since I never laid base coat before, only primer and clear and didn't want to chance a mistake. So thank you. "PS, that's my paint area, not his shop".

Here's a picture of the plug and with the sun visor delete.
headliner1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back