• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gauging Interest: Rear Diffuser for 91-01

Here's a thought. Would the exhaust heat up the aluminum diffuser too much? Would that start warping where the mounting holes are since they're just plastic?

Here's a thought. Would the exhaust heat up the aluminum diffuser too much? Would that start warping where the mounting holes are since they're just plastic?

Interesting theory, but I doubt it. I am sure it will absorb some heat from the exhaust, but not enough to damage the plastic. But I plan on putting alot of test miles and time on the first one I get made...I am not sure just how fast they can crank these out, but I will get things rolling tomorrow with the supplier for the first test one and try to get a time line for the rest. But I want to make sure the fit is good and test it out to make sure its stable at all speeds before I start getting a bunch produced and shipping them out. And we'll see if it hurts the plastic or not too, I'll be the test mule:biggrin:.

I'm interested as well. Count me in.
Maybe as the production ones get closer you can offer a full coverage one for those who want one. I have a Comp Tech exhaust and would be glad to take some measurements if you'd like.
You can send me a proto-type if you want and i'll be glad to test it down here in the southern Florida heat.
I'll try and get those other things done this week. Had to go away and just got back.

Cheers
nigel.

Just a quick update. I kicked the supplier off on the first one, I should have it some time this week. I will take photos once I have it and begin some road testing. If that goes well I will kick him off on a run of 20 to start.

UPDATE! I just got the first one from the supplier this afternoon and just got inside from putting it on the car. Overall I am really happy with it. This thing is really solid! There are just a few very minor tweaks I will make for the production one. Here are some photos of it I just took. I still need to paint it. Its supposed to rain here all weekend so I don't know if I'll get much of a chance to put some road miles on it for a couple days.
What do you guys think?
2851089097_bc7d017c4b.jpg

2851917996_554deee33c.jpg

2851083553_40117e6899.jpg

2851913814_d3a7a72b3e.jpg

This shows the range of adjustablity fore and aft...
2851081461_51cd79afb7.jpg

2851082481_721ac0fff4.jpg

Looks really good, what type Black paint are you doing, Gloss Black, Satin Black or Flat Black? It really looks good, cant wait to see it in black finish, does it only mount on the 2 side slots, is there an additional pc. that extends towards the bar under the car to kinda act as a full under chassis diffuser? Let start the group buy right now and sign me up.

I am thinking most likely satin or flat black. I will probably end up using the high temp stuff so its protected as well as it can be to protect it from the exhaust.
I want to do a full under tray eventually. I like the idea of having it as a separate piece that can be used with this. I just need to figure out how to do it so that it will clear the exhaust well. I think maybe mine is just an oddball and hangs lower than most since it is a custom Flowmaster setup. This does attach just with the two screws at the slots...but its a pretty firm attachment. I will include longer screws as well.
I will do like I did with the signal covers and once the production ones are all ready to ship I'll start a new thread and have ordering done through my little site, it keeps everything much easier and more organized for me that way.

Last edited:
Did you end up using 1/8 or 1/16 aluminum?

Did you end up using 1/8 or 1/16 aluminum?

This is 1/8". Its really solid. I think 1/16" would have probably been rigid enough..I was also thinking about maybe doing something in between in the interest of weight. I will weigh this one over the weekend. Its not terribly heavy.
What would you guys prefer?

1/16 in., full legnth, one piece to cover the muffler as well.
The slots should let each owner custom fit theirs depending on the muffler by moving it forward or aft depending how much they have to bend it to clear the muffler.
With the 1/8 or 1/16 in. thickness you would be smart to counter sink the bolt holes and use countersink screws as to allow more clearence not to possibly rub on the muffler.
Have you given powder coating a look see? It really isn't expensive and once applied it WON"'T come off. Possibly only one side as the bottom will never be seen under normal circumstances.

Cheers
nigel

Ok, I got it painted and took a few shots. It still raining though, so I haven't been able to drive with it yet.
I weighed it (on a bathroom scale) and its about 6-7lbs. So if I did it in 1/16" you could assume it would be about 3lbs lighter....so its up to you guys...lighter weight or a little thicker appearance and stronger like this one? Or maybe there is something like 3/32's that I could do and split the difference.
I think the powder coating is a great idea, I will look into it this coming week.

2854182422_d5252cb9ce.jpg

2853346053_ab3ea4ec70.jpg

looks great sign me up for one when u're ready 1/8 gets my vote.

Structrually 1/16, .0625, is absloutely strong enough for the aero forces that will be applied. It will keep production costs and weight down as well.
If you cared, you could use a thicker gauge for the vertical strakes for a visual effect but other than that it shouldn't be necessary.
As Larry B says, just my .02 worth.

Cheers
nigel

Just got back from taking it on a quick 20 mile drive between rain storms. I took it up to triple digits and found no vibrations or anything. Its as firm on there as it was when I started. I took it over some bigger bumps and some really beat up rail road tracks and I had no problems with scrapping. FYI my car is lowered about an inch.
It did heat up a bit from the exhaust...it was pretty warm to the touch after the drive, but you could hold your hand on it easily..like a warm cup of coffee..so I don't believe it would ever melt the plastic.

Very cool product. Make it as light as possible. I vote 1/16".

This is just a thought but I was wondering what this would look like if an owner color matched the curled-up rear lip to his/her car. Could possibly duplicate the look of the +02 valance??? Throw some rear spats on and this product could potentially give the look of two very popular upgrades (rear diffuser and +02 valance). Might have to play with the lip a little....just a thought.

Last edited:
i was actually going to get the 02 valence till i saw this, i might just get some nice spats and this ! :O

trying to find who sells I's rear spats ... only ones i think that look good

Back