• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

gearbox noise

Let me first say thanks to Trev. for his help on the wireing, it made everything go so much faster. Thanks. After installing the CT SC [Wipple] , there is qiute a bit of gearbox noise. Is this normal? It goes away as soon as you put a little load on it. Is there an adjustment for the lash and will 50 weight help? BTW just installed Bilsteins [on the lower purch] car looks great and rides and handles good. Oem shocks had 120k on them but still worked pretty good.

Last edited:
What kind clutch do you have? how many miles? Describe sound? grinding etc?

how long SC install?

Mine has a high pitch sound coming from the side duct. But no strange sound from what I am told. This hiss like sound does go away after I give throttle, but that may be also drowned out by the Taitec.............After tightening my belts the sound is almost gone. My friend had sounds coming from his blower when it was almost no oil in it.

Last edited:
It's not the clutch. It's the gearbox on the SC. Makes a ratteling sound at idle.

I don't believe there is a gearbox on the SC ..... :confused::confused:
I think what you're saying is that the SC is LOUD.

If so - yes that is normal, and it freaks most people out, including myself.

I have 5W-40 on my SC and it actually quited it down from the 20W-50 that was in there before.
Changing the oil weight around may affect it, but not significantly. I think a heavier weight might make it worse, but I haven't tried.

If that's not what you are talking aobut.. then someone needs to educate me on where the gearbox is on the supercharger, and and how many gears it has... :rolleyes: Is there a short gear kit for it? :)

I had to look at my SC checklist and assy. I have an autorotor and was saying gee I didnt know it had a gearbox???? Thats why I started asking clutch questions....

I don't believe there is a gearbox on the SC ..... :confused::confused:
I think what you're saying is that the SC is LOUD.

If so - yes that is normal, and it freaks most people out, including myself.

I have 5W-40 on my SC and it actually quited it down from the 20W-50 that was in there before.
Changing the oil weight around may affect it, but not significantly. I think a heavier weight might make it worse, but I haven't tried.

If that's not what you are talking aobut.. then someone needs to educate me on where the gearbox is on the supercharger, and and how many gears it has... :rolleyes: Is there a short gear kit for it? :)

I assume there are "timing gears" at the front for the two screw rotors where you add and chk oil . At idle, there seems to be a rattle that is either the lash of the assumed gears or end play in the screw rotors. I can't find a breakdown of the SC to see if there is any adjustment.

My immediate thought would be tension issues and noise from the nose assembly from over tightening.

Larger belt systems with different SC's and vehicles give you an indication of this with "ghost howl" and vibration to alert you things are out of adjustment.

Have you already compared your car to another another with the same setup or used another set of ears to see if it's just you that has to be adjusted? :)

There would have to be significant case flex for rubbing issues caused by the rotors against the side of the case, hence grinding. Being the noise goes away under light load, I'd focus on the nose assembly and triple check your work.

Let me first say thanks to Trev. for his help on the wireing, it made everything go so much faster. Thanks. After installing the CT SC [Wipple] , there is qiute a bit of gearbox noise. Is this normal? It goes away as soon as you put a little load on it. Is there an adjustment for the lash and will 50 weight help? BTW just installed Bilsteins [on the lower purch] car looks great and rides and handles good. Oem shocks had 120k on them but still worked pretty good.

This is completely normal. They sounds like a rattle trap at idle:).

regards,
LarryB

There would have to be significant case flex for rubbing issues caused by the rotors against the side of the case, hence grinding.

That would be a blown compressor. Any touching of the internal rotor(s) on the blower is instant failure.

LarryB

I had to look at my SC checklist and assy. I have an autorotor and was saying gee I didnt know it had a gearbox???? Thats why I started asking clutch questions....

The Autorotor is significantly quieter then the Whipple, but still does exhibit some gear noise at idle too.

Regards,
LarryB

Johnboy, yes, these old whipples rattle like crazy at idle, well not that bad, but enough to wonder why such a precision instrument is making so much noise.
I've got the same as you. Ed says he has the same as me.
Now where did I leave that set of keys???
Have to check the airbox.
The noise changed after I put on my AIS.
Wow, did it change.
Just put in a set of ear plugs, close your eyes, and drive it man.
Trev
p.s. Nice talking to you man.

Thanks for everyones input. Thanks again to you Trev for the pics on the wiring. I topped-up the oil to the top mark on the dipstick and that helped slightly. I do miss the old intake sound at high rpm but the high pitch whine is a great sound too. I just like HP. I'll take Larry's and Trev's advice and stop worrying and just drive and enjoy. Thanks to all.

Oh Sure!!!
Larry, start saving up to help buy him a new engine with me......lol
Enjoy
Trev

Back