• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Get rid of my NSX for Ferrari 348?

Anybody out there have any experience with a 348 ferrari? I realize I would be trading major reliabililty for poor reliability, but I only commute 10 miles to work and use other cars on the weekend. The 348 is a gorgeous car, and of course has the "ferrari factor".

Besides the obvious spanking I will get for such heresy, I really am interested in members who have 348 experience.

I still have a memory engraved in my brain, of the time back in 1991 when I was in Palm Beach FL in my wanna-be sportscar a Geo Storm GSI :rolleyes: and had a black 348 pull up next to me, and take off at the green light. I told myself on that day, that some day I will own a 348. I am still waiting for that day. I WILL have one in the future. I still love that car!

I myself always ponder the thought of a 348. Ive driven one but I, too would love to hear about the overall ownership experience...

As I understand it, the general consensus of the automotive press and the enthusiasts is that the 348 is inferior to the NSX in virtually all respects, save exhaust note and cachet.

I see the 308/328/348 as a step down from the NSX, not up. Only the F355 and 360 interest me (within reason, I would love an F40 or 288 GTO, but can't see spending $300k on a car in the foreseeable future).

I have owned a 348TS and a 91 NSX... now I have an 02 NSX. I can say with no uncertainty ... the NSX is a MUCH better car than the 348. I had a 93 TS and it had 22k miles, and every service and excessive maintenance from new... I soon saw why it had all the attention! :(
The 348 is plagued with issues such as bad climate control system that WILL fail and is a costly repair, sticky plastic on the interior, Check engine / Slow Down lights on al the time, alternators are weak, Motronic ECU issues in early cars, 2nd gear is ALWAYS a problem when cold and the cable linkage is terrible, and slow windows ... to name a few!
If you want a Ferrari get a 355 ('97+) or newer model car. I have had my 2000 456M GTA for about a year now and it has been a great car. I drive it a ton (14k miles this year) and have had no issues other than the horn working intermittently and having to do the standard service. Join the Ferrari club and get a good idea of things to look for in each model and study all you can on the model you choose before you get it. I looked at 12 cars all over the US before buying mine. You have to be careful and know exactly what you are looking at ... and make sure you get a PPI from a Ferrari dealer! :)

I always like Ferrari. Until I could afford one I'll just stick with the Power of Dream sportscar.

Don't! I seriously considered it but the 348 was way worse in all category (it matches the NSX look form the external and it is way worse in the interior). The car has a lot of problems, even at 10 miles per day you will end upwoth many repairs and maintenance and IMO it is the worse Ferrari of the last 30 years (with the Mondial). Not worth the Ferrari expenses you will have...

I would prefer a 328GTS over it any day!

Wait until you can afford a 355, that is the car to go for! :)

I'd pick a 355 97+.

Anything older than 97+ will have problems. And the 355's 97 and older have engine problems.

If your going to trade - trade up :D :D

brahtw8 said:
I see the 308/328/348 as a step down from the NSX, not up. Only the F355 and 360 interest me (within reason, I would love an F40 or 288 GTO, but can't see spending $300k on a car in the foreseeable future).

Ditto

Everyone I've ever spoken with on this topic including a friend with a 348 seems to regard the 348 as light-years ahead of any earlier Ferrari in reliability but still way behind the 355. As I see it the only edge to the 348 over the NSX is if that prancing horse cachet means a lot to you.

Test drive one first, early Ferrari's remind me of a beautiful women who is dumb and likes to shop a LOT! For a little while they might be a lot of fun, but after a while you can't wait to get rid of them.

I own a '87 Testarossa and can't wait to get rid of the car, it has cost me a bunch of money and has run poorly almost every day since I owned it.

Personally I wouldn't take 10 348's for an NSX, Ferrari has come a long way with the 355's and 360's. If you are going to change cars definitely go with something newer.

Good Luck!

NSXWIND said:
if that's what you want go for it :D
have fun with your Ferrari as you have had with NSX :D

Great advice. I think the same way.
I have fallen in love with the 360 Modena and will one day own one. When I go to get it, I don't care what others have to say.
JUST DO IT !!!

I recently got a 348. Here are a few of my early impressions:

There's no comparing the 348 with the NSX in terms of materials, fit or finish. The shifting is notchy, the clutch, steering and suspension are heavier. It makes a few more rattles and the windows take their time reaching their destination. The chassis isn't as stiff despite the car being heavier overall, (although to be fair I got the TS version). By most objective measures the 348 isn't up to the standards set by the NSX.

Despite all this the car is magic. It sounds and looks fantastic. It has a wonderful raw feel to it...like you're more connected to the machine and the road. And it's natural for car guys (and gals) to feel good about owning a Ferrari, they have a very special history...much of it still being written every race weekend.

In summary it's not as good a car... but it can be just as rewarding.

Caveat: Both my NSX and 348 are recreational use. I could imagine the NSX as a daily driver, I think the 348 would have a harder time playing that role.

nsx is introduced to bury 348, Ferrari learnt the importance of daily-driven loveness and reliability from nsx... thus 355, push it a little further, an automatic (well, it's not quite auto, but enough for the left foot impaired :) ), I believed the 355 single handly turn the company around... then 360 is introduced and raised it the place that a Ferrari used to have... no comparison... until now from the Lambo and Ford GT....

I intentionally left out Porsche by its odd shape, that, more appeals to car guy than normal guys anyway. I had countless time that people coming in to the 7-11, (read avg. american joe and jane) telling me that my cars look much better than the other kid's. (The other kid who also worked there had a 2001 996 turbo.) For myself, I wouldn't even dare to compare my car to it at all...

Anyway, 348 vs nsx... yes, I would wonder how nice the V8 sound with a tubi... but why not wait for couple more years and really upgrading to a 355??

Thanks for all the responses, especially Jam and Animate. I guess I'll wait for the 355. A Dealer who evaluates exotics even told me to hold out for the 360 if I really want true reliability.

If I had to make a choice and $$$ was the obstacle the NSX would be my choice '""exept"" for the fact that you mentioned you had "other cars too",further if you can do some of the tooling yourself there is nothing like a Ferrari BUT a Ferrari. Being you have OTHER AUTOS if your doing maintnance
and waiting for parts for the F car.

PS.. I own a 355 99 GTS pictured in my avatar as well as the NSX

MYNSX: How do you find the chassis stiffness on the 355, i.e., do you notice any cowl shake over rougher surfaces? The NSX coupe is a tough act to follow in that regard.

melmark: please excuse the hijack...

I could never drive the 348 as it is now. Too "80's" looking. Like the NSX, 348's can be "updated" also. I'm not a fan of the front fascia but the rest is nice IMO. I would definitely put different rims on it too. And of course you have to put a Tubi on it. :D

veilside_ferrari_front.jpg
veilside_ferrari_rear.jpg

veilside_ferrari_wing.jpg

Here's a link. Not too pricey for a Ferrari carbon fiber bodykit!

http://www.autosportz.com/bodykits_94_ferrari_348.htm

Back