• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gives you chills listening to her sing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xsNpNP1jw

I hope she gets represented right, have a good writer, because she can belt out some notes. Its unbelievable that such a voice comes from such a little person too.

Its cool that someone from my homeland is getting some good recognition. and from YOUTUBE, just like how the current lead singer from Journey, got discovered.

Reminds me of Eva Cassidy. She would also sing songs that weren't hers, but had an amazing way of making them her own. Sadly she's not with us anymore. To this day I still prefer her version of "Fields of Gold" over Stings version.

Both are great! I wish them both success. :smile:

Arnel Pineda of Journey is fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aCBB670Kwg
Brought down the house in his first concert.
He was making pennies then to well deserved millions now.
Steve

He is amazing, but I seriously doubt he's making millions. They almost certainly offered him peanuts, because he'd take it. In the end, it's still a business and looking at Revelation's sales chart, he's probably already covered his salary in full for the next decade. Somehow, simply from word of mouth and his "rags to riches story", he has single handedly breathed new life back into that band.

Reminds me of Eva Cassidy. She would also sing songs that weren't hers, but had an amazing way of making them her own. Sadly she's not with us anymore. To this day I still prefer her version of "Fields of Gold" over Stings version.
Eva Cassidy's version is way,way better than Stings.Her voice is awsome.

She's very good indeed but she also sounds just like Christina, Beyonce, Mariah, Whitney etc... they all sound the same to me. I wish her luck though.

One of my personal favorite young talents was Charlotte Church, back in her classical days. She was quite something.

I must be in the minority because I can't stand this girl. (and I'm Filipino!) She comes off as very plastic to me, with what seems like fake politeness and modesty during all her interviews. No one is that shy and timid then explodes into a stage performance with so much energy and showmanship. She sings great renditions, but they're only embellished impressions. When singing her own material, her songs are very lackluster and with far less spirit. Perhaps when she gets older and finds her own voice, I might find a newfound respect for her.

Btw, my wife LOVES her, a source of many fun and amusing debates between us.

Wow, Charice is amazing.

I forgot where I heard it, but years ago, the saying was that in the Phillipines, besides their day jobs, everyone was either an actor, singer, or dancer on the side.

There's a tremendous amount of talent out there.

Anyone who has traveled in Asia and heard live bands in bars/clubs will know this. Almost all the singers/bands I've seen in Taipei, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc, have all been Filipino, and they're almost always very good.

In Shanghai, there's a band that plays at Luna in HsinTienDi, and the female singer is amazing, and can sing across a wide range of songs and genres.

Unfortunately, the sad reality is that with few exceptions (Journey being one of them), Asian performers, no matter how talented or famous in their home country, rarely make it in the US unless they conform to established stereotypes.

Of the amateurs, Paul, the guy who sang opera was amazing too.

Last edited:
She sings great renditions, but they're only embellished impressions. When singing her own material, her songs are very lackluster and with far less spirit. Perhaps when she gets older and finds her own voice, I might find a newfound respect for her.

Good point. It's easy to imitate someone else's performance or rendition of a song, it's much harder to create your own style and sound with your own material and nothing to emulate.

In another life, I knew a reasonably famous singer in Taiwan. She had formal training and had a degree from a music school in Switzerland, and in addition wrote many of her own songs. The difference was apparent when compared to other Taiwanese singers who are often selected by the industry more for their looks and/or connections, and how well their look/sound fits the cookie cutter mold that characterizes much of the popular music in Taiwan. While many performers in Taiwan burst onto the scene, and are gone in a 2-3 years, her true talent as an artist and songwriter gave her staying power that many other singers in Taiwan lack. Last I heard, she moved back to her native Beijing, and is still performing there.

Last edited:
Wow!! Absolutely amazing! You watch Oprah.

j/k :tongue:

Lets see her tackle Sweet Child 'O Mine. :biggrin:

Actually, that's one of the songs I heard in Shanghai at Luna in HsinTienDi. The girl singer nailed it spot on. :eek: Everyone was duly impressed.

I noticed that too. But I think it takes a strong songwriter to bring her out. She needs good representation. Right now she is being represented locally. It is not good. But she has had good exposure. Ellen D. Oprah. David Foster. Shes supposed to sing with Bocelli. Groban praised her very very well. Said that he hadn't heard a voice like hers for a while. She hasn't had formal training as well....
I had same reaction as you had about her demeanor, I just think she is trying to be humble. I kind of respect that. Her past has been humble. She grew up in a hard life. Dad left when she was 2. If you watch some of the clips w/ the other Filipino stars, you see she is not acting like them, she is kind of shy and does not exhibit the same star action, but they were all not as good as her! In anycase, I do think she is humble, she just has that FOBish way of showing things.

Good point. It's easy to imitate someone else's performance or rendition of a song, it's much harder to create your own style and sound with your own material and nothing to emulate.

In another life, I knew a reasonably famous singer in Taiwan. She had formal training and had a degree from a music school in Switzerland, and in addition wrote many of her own songs. The difference was apparent when compared to other Taiwanese singers who are often selected by the industry more for their looks and/or connections, and how well their look/sound fits the cookie cutter mold that characterizes much of the popular music in Taiwan. While many performers in Taiwan burst onto the scene, and are gone in a 2-3 years, her true talent as an artist and songwriter gave her staying power that many other singers in Taiwan lack. Last I heard, she moved back to her native Beijing, and is still performing there.

She's very good indeed but she also sounds just like Christina, Beyonce, Mariah, Whitney etc... they all sound the same to me. I wish her luck though.

One of my personal favorite young talents was Charlotte Church, back in her classical days. She was quite something.

Funny that you mentioned Charlotte Church who I think is one of the most overated performers. I don't even think she is talented. Her modal range is extremely limited so she pretty much sings everything in falsetto. It just proves that given the kind of stages, managers, associates, and promotions, one can be hailed as some megastar that one is not. A true great singer should have wide range of modal and would only use brief falsetto as compliment if needed. Singer like Aretha Franklin can pretty much outsing anyone with her incredible range. Celine Dion is really good too.
Steve

she is good , but i can only understand like 2/2500 words. :cool:

Back