• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got an unfair ticket

I had this happen to me too. Sometimes they classify it as an exhibition of speed. Although that is BS, since there is no legal limit for the rate of acceleration. I have had the sheriff chase me down, but realized I was at the speed limit, I just beat him to it:biggrin:

Go to court by yourself. I know it's a PITA, but it can also be a little entertaining. First off, you will probably be the only one there that is not a derelict.

You get to sit through the "so... Mr. Washington, this is your 4th DUI, you have no license, no insurance, and it was your Momma's car that you wrecked? Why don't you have a license Mr. Washington?"

"Well, because they took it away."

It was amazing how dumb people are.

Last time I was there I learned something new. When the judge wanted the Bailiff to take someone into custody, she would tell the Bailiff that "Mr. Washington needs to make a phone call." Bailiff told me if the judge told him to take them into custody, the person would try and bolt for the door. He said it has happened many times. Can you imagine trying to run out of the courtroom?

My last ticket - improper lane change, passed the cop going fast, real fast, but he didn't get me on radar so he wrote the ticket for improper lane change - 2 pts, same $. Walked over to the prosecutor and asked him to change it to a non-moving violation. He said, sure - fee is the same, pick one - excessive noise sounded good to me.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would still fight it, perhaps he will be a no show, or you can dazzle the court with fancy diagrams of the road where this occured, etc. but this:

Chances of a cop doing a no-show, specially in Orange County, CA is probably less than 5%. They get paid to show up to court, it can even count as overtime last I checked. So for them its a walk in the park for extra money, why NOT show up. I would if I was a cop.

Fight if you can, but like Scorp says. If it ends up being your word vs. the cops, the judge usually leans their way in those cases. I am not trying to discourage you from fighting, but just giving you a heads up on expectations.

Chances of a cop doing a no-show, specially in Orange County, CA is probably less than 5%. They get paid to show up to court, it can even count as overtime last I checked. So for them its a walk in the park for extra money, why NOT show up. I would if I was a cop.

I've had good luck going to court on questionable tickets. It's been years but I went to court 3 times in my ~20s. Rode a few different bikes (GSXR 750s) and the police loved them all :wink:

I would pull over most the time too. The twisty roads to college made it basically your choice. I think that surprised them the most. I sometimes got the feeling they wanted a chase or to just check out the bike and tell me to ride safe.

Yes, on the ticket it says "clocked, estimated". Meaning clocked by pacing me, and estimated as in no radar. The estimated part is right, the clocked part is BS.

Wow, ok, I'd be pissed too if a police officer would just guess my speed and fine me. Doesn't this mean he can pretty much fine you for anything or even revoke your license when he has a bad day or doesn't like your car or something?

Would you mind to keep us updated if you're going to fight the ticket? I find it interesting how law differ in different countries.

Klayton

For such a small violation of speed, they usually, at least in NY, plead it to a lesser charge with no points. They just want the $. I have prepared many times and never got a chance to present my material. Sometimes the judge will discuss it with you for a bit, knowing that it is be plead down anyway.

This varies with each jurisdiction and I haven't had a point charged in over 10 years but had quite a few appearences. When I lived in CA there was no pleading for the most part, just traffic school. You need to find out the pattern of behaviour in your neck of the woods. Try the NE forum for experiences in MA.

Good luck,

Tytus

So does this mean the OP will be documenting the tricks of fighting a ticket in the Wiki?:biggrin:

>What to say to the cop when pulled over...No officer, I wasn't speeding.:biggrin:

You can cut and paste that in there...hah ha

I hope you win:smile:

measure the distance when getting on the freeway to the aprox. area he lit up his light and determine an aprox. distance then just ask the officer how long he "paced you" and do the basic math to show if you were in fact going 70mph for x amount of seconds how far you should have travel... this kind of argument ussually works as the officer gives his answers before you respond. I have had this argument work a few times when I used to drive a rice rocket that cops loved to pull over :p

good luck

In New York you do not even need to pace. A visual calculation is sufficient to convict. New York officers take a class to estimate speed simply by standing there and watching a car drive by. Not exactly fair in court since every visual estimate gets upheld against the driver.

I have done this with my buddy when I do ride along. I am usually withing 2-3 MPH of the cars actual speed. I have won several meals by guessing closer than my buddy who is a police officer and is trained to guess the speed. The faster the speeders car is going the further away form actual speed my estimate is.

Cops are a$$holes, once i was doing 40 in a 45 zone, I had my cruise control set and i had my 2 feet in back of the pedals, i was just cruising after work. I drove by 2 cops and all of a sudden i see lights. I pull over and a lady cop comes up to me and says "DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING?" and I said "yeah, 40, you want to get in the passenger seat and i'll press resume on the cruise control & you can see?", she said "BS YOU WERE DOING AT LEAST 70" so i laughed and said "so give me a ticket then" she just looks at me all :mad: and says "just go before i give you a ticket!" smh

Cops are a$$holes,...

OK. Then the next time you have someone that is attempting to break into your house, call your physician. You had a bad experience. So what? We've all had them. You think they are "a$$holes", well why don't you send a letter to the 188 widows of police officers that were killed in the line of duty last year? Got the guts to do that, if that's what you believe?

I noticed that you're 21 years of age. Grow up or don't post your stupid comments on Prime.

he must be really good at "guestimating" if he was ten cars back:rolleyes:

i have gotten a bs ticket as well, and i was extremely pissed, even more so since i was 1/2 a month away from having my first ticket expunged(sp?) from my record:mad::mad::mad: gee, what do you know, my cop even lied ON the ticket, let alone i had my radar detector and was doing the proper speeds in the proper zones because i "saw" him before he could see me

BTW: Your mistake was saying you didn't know how fast you were going....

I got pulled over and the cop asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?"

I replied, "yes, I do... I was going 55 mph."

He then stated, "looked like you were doing alot faster than that. I estimated 75 mph or greater because it took awhile for me to catch up."

"Nope, the spedo said 55 mph." At that, he let me go. He didn't get it on radar, so he knew his estimate wouldn't hold up in court.

i told him that

OK. Then the next time you have someone that is attempting to break into your house, call your physician. You had a bad experience. So what? We've all had them. You think they are "a$$holes", well why don't you send a letter to the 188 widows of police officers that were killed in the line of duty last year? Got the guts to do that, if that's what you believe?

I noticed that you're 21 years of age. Grow up or don't post your stupid comments on Prime.

Awwww did I strike a nerve?:frown: Sorry if I did (not really) but I'm a grown man and I'm entitled to my own opinion just like anyone else, and if I think a cop is an a$$hole then guess what? I think they're an a$$hole. Obviously not all cops are out there to be a$$holes, most of the ones that i have encountered have been, but there are a couple of them that aren't. Hell I have even let a female cop drive my car after pulling me over, because she was nice & a fan of the car. What does 188 widows or cops killed in the line of duty have to do with me or me calling cops "a$$holes"? Nothing. I was simply identifying with the thread starter because we both had "a$$hole" cops stop us for no reason.

Yes I am 21 years of age, and I'm quite grown, good job for noticing. If you don't want me posting my "stupid comments" on your beloved Prime, buy the site & ban me.:cool:

Awwww did I strike a nerve?:frown: Sorry if I did (not really) but I'm a grown man and I'm entitled to my own opinion just like anyone else, and if I think a cop is an a$$hole then guess what? I think they're an a$$hole. Obviously not all cops are out there to be a$$holes, most of the ones that i have encountered have been, but there are a couple of them that aren't. Hell I have even let a female cop drive my car after pulling me over, because she was nice & a fan of the car. What does 188 widows or cops killed in the line of duty have to do with me or me calling cops "a$$holes"? Nothing. I was simply identifying with the thread starter because we both had "a$$hole" cops stop us for no reason.

Yes I am 21 years of age, and I'm quite grown, good job for noticing. If you don't want me posting my "stupid comments" on your beloved Prime, buy the site & ban me.:cool:

No, you didn't strike a nerve with me. You just made a stupid statement and I am tired of people like you making stupid statements. You didn't say "a" cop was an a$$hole or you had a bad encounter, you said "cops are a$$holes". Is that because or when you "totaled 1991, 1993, and 1994 Acura Legends" as you proudly state in your signature? Is that a lack of your driving ability or maturity?

What does 188 cops killed in the line of duty last year have to do with you? Nothing. They are all "a$$holes". Right?

Go back and read your own reply. You're of course entitled to state your own opinion, and you are demonstratring in you own words, that you're a jerk. In your seven years of driving you've totaled three cars? Gee, perhaps you've come to the attention of the police in the past.

Grow up, or go to a Mustang board and brag about how many cars you've totaled.:rolleyes:

I also don't know if I should just go to a lawyer or not. First hearing is always with the magistrate. If I lose, I think the chances usually DECREASE with the judge in charge. If I go alone and win with the magistrate, I will pay nothing. A lawyer will charge me $300 at least and get it reduced to a "driving with faulty equipment". What irritates me is that I was not cited for going 90, 100, etc. 65 in a 55 is just ridiculous.

You drive an exotic car with very loud exhaust and are surprised you got pulled over ? Take it to some sort of traffic lawyer and be done with it.
Even though 65 mph is probably 100% safe in that road, its still 10 over the limit.

Back