• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gravity bleed fixed my uneven braking (3 wheel braking)

Figured I would post this for any owners who may run into this problem...

About a month back I had my car worked on by a reputable dealer and they did great work. I took it in for a timing belt and water pump change, and they also tested my brake fluid and said it was worn out and had to be replaced - no problem. Only bought it a year ago so it seems the previous owner didn't stay on it up (which isn't uncommon).

They got all of this fixed for a good price and I was a very happy man.

Paid, picked the car up, drove great. I was told to make sure to activate the ABS since all the fluid had been changed so instead of paying the dealer to do it I would just drive out in a rainstorm and do it. No problem - ABS activated just fine, no issues.

Then I drove to work the next day. On the way home I hit the brakes to slow down and I felt the car slightly pull to the right. Strange... went home and checked the rotor temps with my trusty IR thermometer.

Sure enough:

FL: 144 deg F
FR: 140 deg F
RL: 75 deg F
RR: 111 deg F

Hhmm... seems one of my brakes wasn't working correctly.

I wasn't in a position where I could go back to the dealer because they were pretty far away and I had to go on vacation. Even though they offered to fix it for free, I decided to leave it with my buddy who I trust to work on anything with 4 wheels. Just more convenient with me going on vacation.

The car had these symptoms:

1) Slight pull to the right so we knew there was more brake force on the right side.
2) Low rotor temps on one side, but on the back. This made sense since the steering wheel did not pull when braking, just the whole car did
3) Just stopping with the e-brake did not cause a pull so we knew the piston wasn't seized and neither were the slide pins
4) No abnormal pedal feel
5) ABS activated VERY quickly almost as if there was far too much brake pressure going to the front than there should have been.
6) Rear brakes (specifically the left rear) bled fine (no air bubbles, constant stream) but fluid pressure was extremely low...
7) If you disconnected the entire brake hose on the rear to replace it and tried to get fluid out of the hard line itself with the pedal it was impossible. If you connected the hose you were able to the fluid to VERY SLOWLY come out of the bleeder.
8) Overall to me it felt like there was either a crap ton of air in the system after the ABS activated, or the left rear hose itself was internally collapsed and had to be replaced. But since there was still no fluid coming out o the hard line we figured it just needed a thorough bleeding.

While I was gone my buddy did the following to fix it:

1) Replaced all brake hoses, all 4 corners (so he knew he wasn't working with any hose issues).
2) Gravity bled all 4 corners - we tried vacuum bleeding and manual bleeding and it wasn't cutting it. He had to let it sit with the bleeders open for about 2 hours on each corner to get the fronts to bleed right.
3) When he moved on to the rear it took another 2 hours and a crap ton of air was very visible in the line only on the left rear - yep, that was the issue. This was interesting since the rear left had bled okay but with very little pressure.
3) He made a tool to bleed the ABS but it pumped clean fluid and had no issues so it probably wasn't needed. Nice to do it though.

Finally he drove it and sure enough its all systems go! Not pulling to any side and I'm glad to have my car back!
With a panic stop from 65mph down to 0 the car barely blips the ABS right as it comes to a complete stop, perfect operation.

Not sure if anyone had run into this. I know I've seen another thread where someone complained it took them bottles and bottles of brake fluid to get all the air out of their system. I've replaced brake fluid on a couple of cars and none of them have act up like this.

I was also surprised to see that vacuum bleeding didn't seem to get the air out - gravity bleeding works much better for this car in my limited experience with it.

interesting... would you please provide detail steps for the gravity bleed? do you just loosen the bleed bolt and let it drip without doing anything? So you stop when no more bubble appears?

I was also surprised to see that vacuum bleeding didn't seem to get the air out - gravity bleeding works much better for this car in my limited experience with it.

In order to get a good bleed using my vacuum bleeder, I find I have to smear some silicone grease around the bleed screw. This prevents the tool from drawing air through the threads instead of fluid from the line. 70 psi seems to be the sweet spot for running the tool. Works every time and I have a rock solid pedal afterwards.

Guys,

If vacuum bleeding was not working, sorry but you have a bad tool, or used it improperly.

I have bled hundreds of NSX's using a proper vacuum bleeder, no silicone grease and have a rock hard pedal EVERY time.

To speculate that gravity bleeding is better makes no sense at all.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
Guys,

To speculate that gravity bleeding be better makes no sense at all.

Regards,
LarryB

It could have been done incorrectly sure. The point of the post is to document the fact that after that ABS goes off I had a lot of in one line and it was bad enough where I only had 3 brakes! :) Maybe everyone knows this but I didn't.

Guys,

If vacuum bleeding was not working, sorry but you have a bad tool, or used it improperly.

I have bled hundreds of NSX's using a proper vacuum bleeder, no silicone grease and have a rock hard pedal EVERY time.

To speculate that gravity bleeding is better makes no sense at all.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,

In your experience do you have to re-bleed each wheel after the ABS is activated for the first time after a fluid change? Even when vacuum bleeding was used before the ABS was activated? (the problem described in my original post).
If not, do you have any idea why I went from having brakes that felt fine to only having 3 functional brakes a full 2 days AFTER the ABS was used for the first time following the dealer work?

Thanks,

Last edited:
The two fluid systems are completely isolated and have no effect on each other. Based on the data I read above I cannot honestly tell you why this happened. Personally I bleed the main system and all is fine. I can use ABS, bleed ABS, cycle ABS, and no effect on the main system. The ABS system for the most part, is a pressure releif valve working based on the ABS system sensing lockup on an individual four wheel basis. I could see the ABS system stuck in "pressure relief" mode and causing a soft pedal(although I have not seen in personally), however not requiring a bleed of the main system.

Regards,
LarryB

Larry,

In your experience do you have to re-bleed each wheel after the ABS is activated for the first time after a fluid change? Even when vacuum bleeding was used before the ABS was activated? (the problem described in my original post).
If not, do you have any idea why I went from having brakes that felt fine to only having 3 functional brakes a full 2 days AFTER the ABS was used for the first time following the dealer work?

Thanks,

The two fluid systems are completely isolated and have no effect on each other. Based on the data I read above I cannot honestly tell you why this happened. Personally I bleed the main system and all is fine. I can use ABS, bleed ABS, cycle ABS, and no effect on the main system. The ABS system for the most part, is a pressure releif valve working based on the ABS system sensing lockup on an individual four wheel basis. I could see the ABS system stuck in "pressure relief" mode and causing a soft pedal(although I have not seen in personally), however not requiring a bleed of the main system.

Regards,
LarryB

Hhhmm... Okay. Well, either way I got it fixed. I'm still a little confused though. In the end the ABS pushes the fluid to the wheel ends so they share the same lines - they can't be completely isolated from each other. Guess it doesn't matter now - I'm so happy I have the car back I've been driving it to work every day!

I'm still a little confused though. In the end the ABS pushes the fluid to the wheel ends so they share the same lines - they can't be completely isolated from each other.

No, they are completely isolated. No the ABS system does not push fluid to the wheels. Get a 1991 service manual and read starting at page 19-35, and you will no longer be confused;).

Regards,
LarryB

Hey Larry ,
I have a story that you can appreciate as a mechanic (thats what they call us old guys) and parent . Friend of mine converted his gas station into a mobile mart which he now runs .The repair bays he rents out to his mechanic,said happiest day in his life was getting out of auto repair business , no more customer b.s. Two weeks ago I stop in for gas and poke my head into the shop to see whats going on . The guys are bleeding brakes on an old S10 blazer ,a young kid is pumping the brake way to fast ,not fully releasing the pedal and complaining he cant get a pedal to the other kid bleeding the wheel cyl. In my typical friendly manner I said "what the f#*k do you think your doing and who taught you how to bleed brakes". The kid just looked at me and said nothing (figured whose is this old grey haired asshole),the other kid bleeding the brakes knew me and just smiled. The boss came over and told this kid "do was this guy says" (the Boss was a student of mine back in 90's) . I said bleeding brakes isn't like banging your girlfriend on saturday night (they all laughed and that broke the ice between us). I had him pump the pedal slowly ,hold it down, release when i told him to and get his foot completely off the pedal. WAIT then repeat procedure , a couple more times he had a pedal .I said no more and walked out .
Last week I bumped into an old student of mine ,tells me "I hear you taught my kid how to bleed brakes , I 've been telling him that for years ,these kids just dont listen , I know ,I raised teenagers too ,LOL

Back