• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Great Book: THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN

Patty, thanks for posting Simon's Cat vid. It was really funny and included cat behavior any owner would probably recognize.

Oh, did I say "owner"? Forgot the old saying: Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

I ended up reading The Art....over the course of a weekend. Sometimes books are quick moving, twists and turns, unexpected plot twists. I find these books enjoying to read, sometimes.

The Art of Racing in the Rain was a very pleasant book with an easy pace. Every page was enjoyable. You could totally sympathize with the main character. I would recommend this book to everyone, especially if you are taking a winter vacation somewhere warm sitting around a pool with a drink nearby.

My wife purchased this book for me as a Christmas present. I'll be reading it on my flight to NJ Thursday.

Thanks, Gene. Yes, I am still very much enjoying the NSX. I pulled it out of the garage yesterday and went for a short drive just for the pleasure of it. Would have been a long drive but I had company. :D

Patty, your recommendation together with the buzz on s2ki and a recommendation from several folks at a recent meet in Orlando put The Art on my Christmas list. My wife came through and I read the entire thing in one sitting the next day. What a great story, and so well told.

The book did leave me with a small problem. I hate to drive the NSX in the rain because I know I will have to wash it as soon as the weather clears and down here this time of year it's almost always either warm and raining or cold and clear. Problem is now I've always enjoyed driving in the rain and now I REALLY want to take the NSX for a spin on my favorite road in a nice drizzle. I even have the egg-shells ready. ;)

Hmm. Egg shells. Drawing a blank here. Must be something in the book but my memory isn't finding it.

We had sunshine on Sunday, Jan. 1st. I took the NSX out for a 120 mile spin as I was getting cabin fever with all the rain we've been having. I loved the book but I'm still keeping my hottie in the garage if I can when it rains. Rained last night, again.

Last edited:
I gave A Dog's Purpose to my Mother for xmas. She loved it.
^Have you read it, yourself?

I saw a lady reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" at the Laguna Hills, courthouse last week, and told her about "A Dog's Purpose". She said she'd just sent her dog-loving sister a bunch of books including both of these. She was going to go get a copy of "A Dog's Purpose" for herself.

I believe the eggshells comment was about visualizing eggshells between your foot and the brake/accelerator while driving in the rain :smile:

Which one? A Dog's Purpose or The Art of Racing in the Rain. In any case, they are both great books. I hope to hear how you like it. :smile:

Kyras! Such a superb book. We are on holiday here in Cyprus and I've read it end to end. I loved it.

Having been a lifelong dog owner I was impressed how the writer must have researched both racing and delve into the inner thinking of a dog. It may not be factual however, the story made me believe even more that dogs are alot smarter than anyone gives them credit for.

The whole story with the racing bend was simply fantastic. I wanted it to be a true story.

Cam

One of my customer is racing in an entry level NASCAR, I told him about the book and he laughed... Nope, I don't race in the rain...lol

I picked up the book after seeing the recommendations here. It was such an easy read, and loved the perspective from Zo. I was so moved by the emotions that came through the pages several times. The dog, the wife, the baby, the grandparents...., wow!!!!!!!!

I picked up the book after seeing the recommendations here. It was such an easy read, and loved the perspective from Zo. I was so moved by the emotions that came through the pages several times. The dog, the wife, the baby, the grandparents...., wow!!!!!!!!

You mean the twins! LOL.

Defiantly one of those books which suck you in and set you up as if you were there.

I have been doing a lot of book reading between diaper changing and sleeping 1-3 hours at a time. :D

steve allen's loss of his dog moses reminded me that i saw there is a new book by the author of "A Dog's Purpose". the new book is called "A Dog's Journey" and here are some the reviews of it on amazon.

i'll order my kindle copy today.

^Thank you for mentioning it! I just put it on my Kindle. People seem to like even more than "A Dog's Purpose". I am flying back to Maryland tomorrow for an S2000 meet over the weekend. I was debating on whether to take a new hard cover book I have, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail or my Kindle. Decision made. Takes up lots less space. I'm so looking forward to the flights, now. :smile:

Last edited:
^Thank you for mentioning it! I just put it on my Kindle. People seem to like even more than "A Dog's Purpose". I am flying back to Maryland tomorrow for an S2000 meet over the weekend. I was debating on whether to take a new hard cover book I have, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail or my Kindle. Decision made. Takes up lots less space. I'm so looking forward to the flights, now. :smile:
you're quite welcome, patty. i hope to read it by week-end. safe journey and lotsa fun.
hal

^Thank you for mentioning it! I just put it on my Kindle. People seem to like even more than "A Dog's Purpose". I'm so looking forward to the flights, now. :smile:
we've had lots going on around here but i'm about half way through it ... good so far.

I read it on my flights last weekend and am about 3/4ths of the way through. I am not as excited about this one. The first one was more exciting with each new life the dog got. I didn't expect it. With this one, I do expect it so that takes away from it a little bit, for me.

Back