• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy - DDM 55w HID Kits - Dabears2k Performance

I got my kit yesterday morning and did a quick test to verify it works. I'll do the full install and testing on Sunday because I'm on 14 hour shifts right now. Xenon Expert still has not replied to my email asking if they even carry this kit normally.

Nate

I got my kit yesterday morning and did a quick test to verify it works. I'll do the full install and testing on Sunday because I'm on 14 hour shifts right now. Xenon Expert still has not replied to my email asking if they even carry this kit normally.

Nate

Nate,

it was great talking to you on the phone. I look forward to some install pictures.

I hang my hat on customer service.

Last edited:
Ok, here it is. I used an Olympus E-1 DSLR with the exact same settings (f-2.8, 1-sec, iso-100) and same white balance for each shot. This method best shows what the difference in light output is without the camera making any adjustments.

The scene with car lights off:
No_Light.jpg

With PIA 55w Halogen:
Stock_Light.jpg

With DDM 55w 6000k HID kit:
HID_Light.jpg

I found out my original low-beams were not stock, but were 55w high-beam bulbs crammed into the low beam plugs, and that's what you see above. The install was VERY easy just as with other kits and doesn't even require a DIY. Also, please note that the black U shaped bracket you see in the pics below does not come with this kit, it was left on the car along with a couple of broken HID kit components by the previous owner and I simply reused it. It is not required especially because the DDM ballast is so slim, but it was nice to have so everything had a firm attachment point.

This is what it looks like with the dust cap off:
Before2.jpg

This is after the Kit it is installed:
After_1.jpg

Another from above:
After_2.jpg

The kit before install:
Kit.jpg

Igniter.jpg

I think the light output is terrific and the overall build of the kit is good, but I did find a problem with both of mine. The blue(hot) and black(ground) wires were installed in the socket that plugs into the vehicle harness backwards, and again this was on both kits. This is an odd problem because ALL 9006 bulbs plug into all vehicle clips made for 9006 bulbs in the same way. To correct for this I had to reverse a plug in the HID kit harness, it fits very snug but doesn't snap together because the notch is now on the opposite side as the clip.

Clip.jpg

My verdict:
I'm VERY happy with the light output, the delivery time was only 4 days, and I still haven't found the same kit for a lower price. If the socket I reversed works loose I'll take the pins out and switch them so it clips together right, but I don't expect it to because it's pretty tight. That's my 2 cents, post up if you have any questions for me.

Nate

Last edited:
I'm interested now. You should give Nate-nsx a discount for being the guinea pig. Is the plug problem that Nate mentioned a common issue?

Nate, any chance you face the car against a wall and take some shots? Or maybe you can tell us about the glare, with higher output HIDs?

I'll take some more pics tonight pointed at the garage door and such. If your headlights aren't way out of adjustment glare should not be a problem, at least it doesn't seem to be my car.

Last edited:
I'm interested now. You should give Nate-nsx a discount for being the guinea pig. Is the plug problem that Nate mentioned a common issue?

Nate, any chance you face the car against a wall and take some shots? Or maybe you can tell us about the glare, with higher output HIDs?

Nate was given 100 purchase GB pricing for his work as the first installer.

The plug issue has been known on a few cars, but it does not affect the function of the lights.

Like I told Nate when we talked on the phone, the Chevy Tahoe is correct, but the Suburban is backwards (same 9006 bulb, backwards wiring). The 2001 Ford expedition is correct, but the explorer is backwards. Again, same bulb. What nate did is fine and many people have done the same exact thing. Because the connectors have the weather sealing all around, putting the connectors in this way will keep them weather sealed.

My email to Xenon Experts:

I'd like to know how if you offer the following:
1) DDM Digital 55w 6000k HID kit
2) Lifetime Warranty on the above
I looked on your website but didn't see anything stating if your DDM kits were 55W or 35W. If you have 55W kits available can you provide me a price quote including any tax or shipping to the 48 states.
Thanks,
Nathan Hahn

Their reply 7 days later:

Hi,
1) Yes we do.
2) 200$ shipped in the US. $25 for the lifetime warranty.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Best Regards,
Olivier Gibeault
www.xenonexpert.com

That's more than we are paying. Looks like it's true, and some people got lucky with their orders being upgraded due to the other HID kits short term unavailability.

Wow, I personally don't like dealing with places that don't return phone calls/emails, which is why I am always on the ball about customer service... 7 days is insane.

As far as price goes, if people start ordering, it can get as low as $187 shipped including lifetime warranty...

Last edited:
Anybody have side by side pics of a 55w HID kit side by side with an OEM HID car (bmw, lexus, s2k) or better yet on the same car 55w vs OEM?

Once again, I will say that you might be one of the lucky ones...

The large ballast kits are going to be in stock VERY soon and will begin shipping again.

The 160 price includes a 1 year warranty, and while I know that I am slightly more expensive than Xenon-expert, I am including the lifetime warranty with the kit and actually provide GREAT customer service, unlike the repeated customer service issues that Xenon-expert has had.

As I have said before, I am giving you guys the best deal that I can. I hang my hat on top notch customer service and quick responses to questions or problems. With the GB discounts, you can actually get to an even cheaper price than the $185 that XenonExpert is charging with lifetime warranty...

The bitterness of poor service lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten.

Excuse me? A customer of ours just informed us that you are bashing our reputation so I thought I would check it out...well well.

1- We have been selling HID since 2001...so if our service is so bad how come we are still in business and growing every year? " unlike the repeated customer service issues that Xenon-expert has had" :rolleyes: You sir, better be careful about what you are saying. I'll give you numbers: 99.3% of our customers buy and would buy again from us. That's straight from a survey we made with them. But they must all be masochists right?...

2- We have the BEST prices period. Sure. I can start a GB here and ask people to pay up front for a big number of kits and the prices we offer will be even less. 200$ is for a 55W DDM kit shipped NOW. No waiting.

3- Bashing other Apexcone/DDM retailers to make yourself a name is not a good idea. This thread is going straight to my friend Jim Powell email who owns Apexcone. Let's see if he appreciates your tactics....:mad:

Oliver
Xenon Expert

I will not get into a war of words with other vendors. All I will say is that the many people who have contacted me on here have seen how quickly I respond to PM's/Emails and how helpful I am. I will quote NSX-Nate.

My email to Xenon Experts:

Quote:
I'd like to know how if you offer the following:
1) DDM Digital 55w 6000k HID kit
2) Lifetime Warranty on the above
I looked on your website but didn't see anything stating if your DDM kits were 55W or 35W. If you have 55W kits available can you provide me a price quote including any tax or shipping to the 48 states.
Thanks,
Nathan Hahn
Their reply 7 days later:

Quote:
Hi,
1) Yes we do.
2) 200$ shipped in the US. $25 for the lifetime warranty.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Best Regards,
Olivier Gibeault
www.xenonexpert.com
That's more than we are paying. Looks like it's true, and some people got lucky with their orders being upgraded due to the other HID kits short term unavailability.

Once again, The Bitterness of Poor Service Lingers Long After the Sweetness of Cheap Price is Forgotten.

Last edited:
I will not get into a war of words with other vendors. All I will say is that the many people who have contacted me on here have seen how quickly I respond to PM's/Emails and how helpful I am. I will quote NSX-Nate on his dealing with Oliver.

7 days to respond to a single email? I've not taken longer than about 7 hours...

Once again, The Bitterness of Poor Service Lingers Long After the Sweetness of Cheap Price is Forgotten.

You already got into a war of words. As for me taking 7 days to answer an email, it was an exception and NSX-Nate has my apologies. We receive tons of emails unlike you. Your name is?

I'll let Apexcone and Jim deal with you.

Oliver

Take the tantrums elsewhere. Dabears2k was here first and offered the deal. No one really cares about Apexcone or some guy named Jim. All a customer cares about is a quality product at a bargain. So what if Dabears2k said you offered poor service and that he could beat your prices? That's the nature of running a business. People will undercut you. You don't need to come here and try to bully him around because you are bigger. This forum is not your battleground. Plus it makes you look bad.

I think it is wonderful when a top notch vendor can come in and represent a quality product. That may be what is going on here, but I am not sending you any of my money to find out. Here is why, in case you want to improve your approach in the future:

1. You went back and edited all your posts. Either you can't articulate what you wanted to say the first time, or you don't stand by what you said. No reason was given for either.

2. You claim a superior product. No evidence of superior product has been presented. I am curious why no side by side pics. I am also curious that if my standard Philips kit (35w I assume) requires a relay why I do not see one in your kit. No pics of the install on your Dad's NSX? You don't even have pics of the 55w kit you are selling. The fact that 75 people with an Elise ordered a kit does little for me if they have not received it.

3. You claim superior customer service. Should be demonstrated not claimed, but I'll give a pass on that. I would point out that you've not lived up to your claim of 'responding to inquiries within 7 hours' (paraphrasing), but that claim has been edited out and you've been too busy arguing with another vendor.

I'll grant you the price and the product LOOKS nice. But, if the same basic product is sold through other channels, why should I buy from you? Not for NSX specific knowledge. Not for great install instructions. Not for demonstrated quality. Not because I trust you. I'll pay a little more somewhere else.

Tips for the future:

1. Have pics of what you are selling
2. Have install instructions for the car you are selling for
3. Don't edit your posts
4. Don't argue with other vendors
5. Do answer the questions asked by your potential customers
6. Have testimonials from people that have RECEIVED the product

Take the tantrums elsewhere. Dabears2k was here first and offered the deal. No one really cares about Apexcone or some guy named Jim. All a customer cares about is a quality product at a bargain. So what if Dabears2k said you offered poor service and that he could beat your prices? That's the nature of running a business. People will undercut you. You don't need to come here and try to bully him around because you are bigger. This forum is not your battleground. Plus it makes you look bad.

Well I didn't just arrived here by accident. Customers of mine pointed me to that thread telling me what was going on here. After reading what I read, I feel I do have to object when people talk trash about us.

You can deal with whoever you want and I have no problem with that. You should care though about a guy called Jim though and Apexcone because without him, the "deal" is non existent because there will be no product.

he (Dabears2k) is really out of line. It will get corrected.

Jim Powell
Apexcone/DDM Tuning

Who knows, I might just come back and offer you the "better" deal....:wink:

I think you "misunderstood" me as Roger Clemens would put it. When I say no one care about a guy name Jim or Apexcone, that means as a consumer all we care is about is the deal we are getting. Not who supplies it. I'm sure Jim and Apexcone have a part somewhere in these deals. If you two (you and Dabears2k) have a problem then it is best handled by Private Messages or through phone calls. Not by exposing us to you two fighting it out. That would be like having a Best Buy and Circuit City next door to each other and having to listen to the employees outside talking bad about each other.

I think you "misunderstood" me as Roger Clemens would put it. When I say no one care about a guy name Jim or Apexcone, that means as a consumer all we care is about is the deal we are getting. Not who supplies it. I'm sure Jim and Apexcone have a part somewhere in these deals. If you two (you and Dabears2k) have a problem then it is best handled by Private Messages or through phone calls. Not by exposing us to you two fighting it out. That would be like having a Best Buy and Circuit City next door to each other and having to listen to the employees outside talking bad about each other.

That I agree with you completely. :smile:

Oliver

i dont see how 210$ is a good deal for slim 55 watt HID.:rolleyes:

im selling them for 160$ SHIPPED to your door for 55 watt slim blast and

150 shipped to your door for 55watt normal blast.

140 shipped for 35 watt

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100396

lol. :tongue:

We aren't talking about the same kit here...lol...We don't sell generic no name kits. Might as well go on ebay :biggrin:

Thanks Bears2k.. great customer service. I got them the NEXT DAY

i haven't put them on yet but i'll post pics when i get them on my bike

Back