• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

H&R spring questions

I'm thinking about putting h&r springs on my car. Can I use my stock shocks? How much will they lower the car? Is it a big job installing? Does it decrease ride comfort? Approx. how much do they cost? I hope that isn't to many questions. Thanks.

I am also going to install these soon. I have assisted in the installation on another NSX. Yes, you can keep your stock shocks. They lower the car about 1- 1.5". The ride is surprisingly indifferent although you will feel a little more stiffness.(that's what she said) and they cost around $200. AND they are not difficult to install(an airwrench help alot) Good investment and this coming from a guy who thought that lowering your car made it a ricey civic, but on an NSX, it's a good thing.

------------------
nsx_02.jpg

Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Todd....$200 for the H&R's? I thought the lowest price was at Dali for around $270-$280? Who sells them for $200?

------------------
Richard
<A HREF="http://www.guam.net/home/superg/nsxtasy.htm" TARGET=_blank>
NSXTASY</A>
1BADRX7

Dman,

These are a really nice setup. My friend Miled has them. The thing to be clear about is lowering the car 1.5" will leave you with alot of negative camber in the rear, even if you adjust them fully positive. I recall about 1-2 degrees negative is the best you can do with H&R"s. If you are running stock tires this may be a little too much from the wear perspective. Miled was running SP9000's and he did not have a wear problem, but I think the OEM tire will.

HTH,
LarryB

Richard, You can get them for $225 plus freight from a company out of California. I think this is the company Todd was refering to when he said around $200.

why will the OEM tire have wear problems but not an aftermarket tire? does the size of the tire affect wear or is the OEM tire just softer? regardless of what diameter tire you use (ex. 295/30/18 or 245/40/17) the wear issue would be equal on both tires when a car is lowered 1.5 inches. right??? also does anyone know if i can get the camber corrected enough on my '97-t to compensate for the 1.5 inch drop?

NSX'D

The OEM tires are both softer and are biased differently. So the after market tires will be more tolerant to increased negative camber.

Dman,

Yes the springs are under pressure, you will need a spring compressor. Private me if you would like the rundown on doing this job.

HTH,
LarryB

NSXOTIC what about when I'm taking the stock springs out, do I not need a spring depresser for doing that? I'd kinda like to keep my head.

Sorry guy's Im a little confused. Larry says that the springs are under pressure and that I WILL need a spring depresser and nsxotic says that they are NOT under pressure. ahhhhhhhhhhhh???????????

They are under a little pressure, not enough to warrant a spring compressor. Like Nsxotic said, lie the strut on the floor with the end pointing away from you. Loosen the center nut and it will 'pop' apart. The spring might expand an inch at most with very light pressure. I have lowered 2 NSX's so far, and both times I did not use a compressor (I own a Snap-On spring compressor also). You can rent a spring compressor at Discount Auto or Pep Boys if you would feel better about it.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by James Cruz (edited 27 January 2001).]

Dman,

I have always used them as a matter of caution. On the OEM spring there is pressure, maybe slight. I installed Eibachs and it was just the few minutes to run the spring compressor on them. I have in the past used the "blast them off" method as described. I have done it and NOT been very happy when the upper spring perch flies across the garage! Since that experience I always use it. Obviously, both James and Todd have done this with no ill side effects. It is your choice.

Also note it is the center nut, not the three nuts that releases the spring, as James pointed out.

We all have had different experiences with the work we do. That is the beauty of so many people being involved and contributing, even though sometimes it may sound like we have opposite recommendations.

Maybe next time I will not use the spring compressor for the NSX!?!?!?!

Did you e-mail me privately on this for the procedure?? I received two e-mails over the last week asking about a write up on it. I did respond, and I guess I need to get it into the FAQ.

Good Luck,

LarryB

Blast off method!! I like that. Years ago I used this method on a Toyota Supra. I'm still looking for parts (and my front tooth) in my neighbor's yard! ha, ha

When in doubt, just remember safety first.

Back