• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hagerty Insurance Agency; Essentia Insurance Company

Has anyone has any experience with Hagerty Insurance Agency? How about Essentia Insurance Company? Was your experience positive or negative?

Hagerty is an insurance agent which sells auto insurance for "collector cars." They are willing to sell an insurance policy for NSX's. They are not the actual insurance company. Rather, the actual insurance company for the insurance Hagerty sells is Essentia Insurance Company.

I'm considering buying auto insurance from Hagerty, but am concerned about whether they are a good company and especially whether Essentia is a solid, well run, well organized insurance company.

Any thoughts?

They are rated "A" by Standard and Poors which is considered "Strong"

I have my NSX insured with Hagerty. The main reason is because they have a stated value policy so I can pick how much replacement value I want. Their rates are reasonable when I compared them to the Auto Club.

Keep in mind, you will need to use this car for pleasure driving only and are not allowed to drive it to work or leave it outdoors(i.e. mall, movies) for an extended amount of time. Also, you are limited to the number of miles each year. Not sure if you already know this but just giving you a heads up.

I have a Hagerty policy on one of my other vehicles. It's an agreed value - which insures it for the amount I want it covered for. :)

I will most certainly have the same on the NSX once I buy one.

Keep in mind, you will need to use this car for pleasure driving only and are not allowed to drive it to work or leave it outdoors(i.e. mall, movies) for an extended amount of time. Also, you are limited to the number of miles each year. Not sure if you already know this but just giving you a heads up.

Thats exactly what I use my car for...pure pleasure.:biggrin: I would never leave my car unattended anyway.

It also covers parade laps and club driving events.

I have had Hagerty for 3 years on my 1991 NSX with a stated value for replacement. They also offer flatbed towing as a "part or option" on my policy.
Not sure if it is "part or option"without digging out my policy. I am happy with the coverage that they offer. A friend of mine has a 2006 Corvette Z06 and he just last month purchased coverage from Hagerty and it was a substantial savings from his regular coverage. The onething I like about it is I don't have to "put on & take off coverage" when I store my NSX. Hagerty is ON 24/7 365 days a year.

I've used Hagerty for more than 10 years for my wood boats. They have been very friendly and helpful. Along with classic cars, they specialize in insuring classic wood boats. They have been very supportive of our boating events and usually sponsor a booth at our larger shows. I've never heard a bad comment about them. Thanks for waking me up to the fact that they would insure my NSX. I'll have to get a quote as I like to support companies that support my hobbies.

How strict are they on the meaning of pleasure use only? Is driving to work every Friday, going to a friends house to show off the car, driving around town in the evening, doing 1,000 mile trip near the coast... Would those constitute pleasure usage? Just wondering because they did give me a great quote, but I sometimes drive the car a bit and have to park it at the park or beach for a few hours.

Re: Hagerty Insurance Agency; Essentia Insurance Company; & Grundy Worldwide

Also get a quote from Grundy Worldwide. http://www.grundy.com/ 800.338.4005. This company has been around nearly as long as Hagerty.

They offer:
*No Mileage Limits.
*Stated Value Policy.
*100k, 300k or 500k Full coverage limits.
*If you have a wreck and the car is totaled they pay you stated value. If the car is repairable, they allow you to choose the repair shop, and even more amazingly.. they will also allow you to repair the car yourself if you have the ability to do so.
*The rest is similar or the same as Hagarty.

Learned about them from advertisements on the Speed Channel during the 24 of Lemans, also from the show My Classic Car. I have called them several times, and I am now in the process of switching over to them.

Last edited:
Re: Hagerty Insurance Agency; Essentia Insurance Company; & Grundy Worldwide

Also get a quote from Grundy Worldwide. http://www.grundy.com/ 800.338.4005. This company has been around nearly as long as Hagerty.

When I first bought my NSX 5 year ago, I called Grundy and they said they do not cover NSX's. I've been with Hagerty ever since with no problem.

So what are you guys paying with Haggerty, and how scrupulous are they about someone's record? :wink:

When I called them a year or so ago.. I think they quoted me about $1000.00 (or it may have been$600.00 I don't remember..) but I declined because:

a.) I can't suspend with Haggerty but I can with Allstate and since I only drive my car a few months of the year, Allstate ends up being no more than a few hundred dollars a year.
b.) I have a quasi-agreed value with my agent for "$65,000 or cash value" .. however, I'm not crossing my fingers that Allstate will write me a check for $65,000 if the car was to be totalled, though the fact that I'm paying those rates, and a good agent + long history, I'd get closer than I would have otherwise.

Hard choices, hard choices... I may give Haggarty and Grundy a call.

My NSX is insured via Hagerty, and I have a stated value policy.

I've previously insured vehicles with Hagerty, and have always found their rates the best on stated value policies.

My NSX is insured via Hagerty, and I have a stated value policy.

I've previously insured vehicles with Hagerty, and have always found their rates the best on stated value policies.

does my 97 nsx and insured my 69 corvette , no problems,my agent is also a car guy, handles most muscle &exotic & race cars in westschester co. ,
Matt Garrity 914-666-2085

Back