• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Handling not as good as I expected!

I recently changed my 1995 BMW 328 for a NSX 1993 manual car (prior to power steering and 16/17 inch wheels). Although the straight line speed is fantastic, I feel very nervous about the cars steering/handling. The steeering seems reluctant to turn sharply and through a fast bend the car seems nervous and twitchy! The BMW on the contrary felt far more secure and sure-footed through corners, without any movement through the corner. Has anyone any ideas as to what could be the problem, as I doubt that this is the handling that has earned the NSX such praise. PS my car rides on 15/16 wheels with 225/50 rear tyres.

I would make sure to go to a quality alignment shop and have that done. It could be way off for some reason.
I know there are other things that it could be, but that is the first and easiest thing to check.

I think that you have to have moe confidence in the car. Going from car with power steering to one that's mid-engined without powersteering is much different. I have found that I need to enter much more input into the steering wheel, and although more tiring, I like the feeling. Another possibility is that your tires are not at the correct inflation. The rears should be at 40lb and fronts at 33lbs.

Remember, it's a new car to you and it will take a few weeks to get used to it's characteristics.

Ditto all above, but first, exactly what tires do you have front & rear. Are they mounted correctly? OEM are VERY specific, not only directional but which corner they are on and which side faces out due to built-in scrub. Some other tires are simply rotation specific but even that's enough. Do the tires appear to be worn in an un-natural fashion? The "natural" wear is less tread remaining (more wear) on the inside than the outside. Some people who run non-directional tires rotate them after they are significantly worn, and that can leave you effectively running on a very narrow section of tire until they wear to near normal again.

However, to somewhat restate what others have said, the weight distribution of the NSX is very different than the M3. That alone can take some getting used to for some people. But I wouldn’t put too much faith in the car until you confirm that suspension and tires are not a problem, then work your way up slowly as you get accustomed to it.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

The car should feel VERY precise. Everything mentioned in the above responses is a possible cause. One other possibility is that the car may need new struts (shocks).

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The car should feel VERY precise. Everything mentioned in the above responses is a possible cause. One other possibility is that the car may need new struts (shocks).

Good point. The one on my 93 were still in great shape earlier this year(I'm assuming they were original), but failures can happen at any age for various reasons. Caution: Don't test the shocks by pressing down on the fenders they way you might on an old American ride.
smile.gif

I guess this answers my question of "I always wondered if someone would buy an NSX used with non-OEM tires, and think the handling was mediocre." If it turns out that this car has non-OEM tires on it, I want to be sitting in the passenger seat when he puts OEM tires on and takes it for that first ride. I wish I had never put non-OEM tires on my car. Its the difference between night and day.

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 05 November 2001).]

As stated above, I would check tires, shocks, etc., but understand the NSX is far more precise than almost any other car. You won't get the same "turn-in" feel that you get with some front-engine cars....Also, until you get used to the handling dynamics, the NSX might feel as if it is not "doing much" through the corners....That's because most likely it's not!....I found myself traveling at some scary speeds before the NSX would even begin to require extra effort through a particular corner.

with 225/50 rear tyres

NOT OEM tires!! I would hazard to guess because of the unusual narrow sizing on the rear that very low end/low performance/low priced tires were used. Put on OEM Yoko's or Toyo Proxes or Bridgstone So3's, have the alignment done by somebody who knows NSX's and you will more than likely revise your opinion of the car's handling characteristics.

------------------
BobsYT
2000 Red/Black #81

with 225/50 rear tyres

NOT OEM tires!! I would hazard to guess because of the unusual narrow sizing on the rear

Huh? The OEM size rear tires for the '91-93 NSX is 225/50 on 16" wheels...

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
with 225/50 rear tyres

NOT OEM tires!! I would hazard to guess because of the unusual narrow sizing on the rear

Huh? The OEM size rear tires for the '91-93 NSX is 225/50 on 16" wheels...

Mea Culpa....

NSXTASY is, as usual, correct. I was thinking of OEM sizes for 16/17 setup. Ooops.

------------------
BobsYT
2000 Red/Black #81

Incidentally, regarding those struts as a possible source of imprecise handling... It's sometimes hard to tell when they're ready to be replaced. Over time, with wear and hard use, they will get less firm and less precise - but they don't necessarily feel like you're floating in a Buick or anything. Particularly for the owner, they change very gradually over time, so it's not noticeable until you try someone else's car and realize that yours might be shot.

Ask me how I know this.
wink.gif

Back