• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has any one painted their plastic coolant tank

I wanted to get the black coolant tank cover from SOS until I saw the cost and am now considering painting it with some of this new spray paint for plastic, has anyone tried this, or does the tank expand resulting in plastic paint flakes all over the engine:confused::rolleyes:

It depends on what paint you are going to use. Make sure it is designed for plastic. Use wrinkle black or flat black paint. Don't use semi-gloss. It doesn't looks as good.

If you are washing the engine bay, put a plastic bag over it to protect it from engine degreaser and stream of water.

Hi,

I painted mine several years ago. First I sprayed on a coat of primer designed for use on plastic. I followed that with paint designed for plastic. No issues at all afterwards. Good luck!

Philippe

I painted mine with black paint for plastic for a base coat. Think it was called Krylon Fusion. Then I painted it with black wrinkle paint. I used a hot hair blow drier to help raise the wrinkle effect. It looks great and matches the black wrinkle finish on the valve covers. No problems with durability in three years.

If you are going to use NSX-R mesh engine cover or leave the engine exposed it would be a good idea to use the black plastic coolant reservoir cover. I have had two of my oem coolant reservoir crack under exposure to the sun.

I had mine painted by the bodyshop , no problems to report.

Very easy,

First of all prep it very well and toughly degrease it.
Sand if needed. (don't go the rough)
Then put down a good coat of plastic primer.
Then put your color on (like said wrinkel and flat black look best)
You can put clear over it but this will give a semi gloss finish.

Just take your time and don't rush and let it dry for quite a while.

my mechanic painted mine with spray paint for plastic.
cheapest, quickest and most significantly noticeable mod done.
best bang for the buck in my opinion, because it was FREE!

IMG_0804_copy.jpg

I painted mine about two years ago and still no problem even washed 3-4 times with high pressure washer. I used a Dupli-Color plastic primer and semi-gloss black over hand sanded tank, easiest and cheapest way.

NSX_engine.JPG

Engine_bay.JPG

Last edited:
See the picture in this post.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=682833&postcount=23

I was playing around with options until I received the Dali coolant tank. I researched the type of paint that can be used as well as how well it can stand to heat. I used engine paint after sanding it, using primer, then clear coat. I can paint it black as well if you like. It is somewhere in my garage ;-)

I recently replaced my black-painted coolant tank (previous owner) with a new OEM clear tank. Now I can visually check the coolant level.

I just bought the NSX-R bottle cover.

100_0765.JPG

when I did mine years ago I put a strip of tape vertically before painting, so I could have a visual indicator. :) At the time I totaled the car, the paint had held up for about 4 years with no problems.

Back