• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has the GTR lost its luster?

What gets me is that the GTR body style is more aerodynamically efficient than our NSX. I guess Fernando on Saturday night live was right " It is better to look marvelous than to actually be marvelous."

Never had any Luster. It's an abomination at everything, But the Road and track specs will make 13 year olds swoon.

This past weekend I was at a small charity meet that a local repair shop was sponsoring and of the 20 cars there were 5 GTRs.

There is no shortage of them around here. Here's an old shot from one of our cars & coffee
is49.jpg

It is what it is. The mission statement of the GTR, in all its generations have always been about cramming as much technology in a package only a mother can love. Looks is subjective, so IMHO it is a beautiful machine. It definitely turns heads when I drive mine, and it has a presence on the road. Its no NSX. The NSX is a scalpel, a dancer. I loved mine when I had it and did everything I could within reason (blower, suspension, aero) to make it perform to its fullest potential and I loved driving it on track and street but its no where near or ever will hold a candle to what the GTR can do --which is a sledgehammer that uses blunt force to beat corners and tarmac into submission. The tranny is rough, the car is noisy, the suspension is hard but its not out to make friends :)

People buy them for what they are and I respectfully can say they don't really give a rats ass if it doesn't have the lustre (or attention) of a Aston, F-car or Porsche. :)

It is what it is. The mission statement of the GTR, in all its generations have always been about cramming as much technology in a package only a mother can love. Looks is subjective, so IMHO it is a beautiful machine. It definitely turns heads when I drive mine, and it has a presence on the road. Its no NSX. The NSX is a scalpel, a dancer. I loved mine when I had it and did everything I could within reason (blower, suspension, aero) to make it perform to its fullest potential and I loved driving it on track and street but its no where near or ever will hold a candle to what the GTR can do --which is a sledgehammer that uses blunt force to beat corners and tarmac into submission. The tranny is rough, the car is noisy, the suspension is hard but its not out to make friends :)

People buy them for what they are and I respectfully can say they don't really give a rats ass if it doesn't have the lustre (or attention) of a Aston, F-car or Porsche. :)

Well said.

I also enjoyed my NSX and drove the hell out of it :cool: and have no regrets about selling it.

Have had my GT-R for close to 5 years now and still happy with it. When it comes time to sell it so be it, life goes on... BTW: I don't care about luster :p

Pretty much all the GTR owners I know have the same bullish attitude. It's basically "I Don't Care" and fully admit their cars are ugly or at least it's an acquired taste.

This is an NSX forum afterall. The antithesis of an NSX is pretty much the GTR so I didn't expect this thread to have turned out much different.

For the record. I'm loosely keeping my eye open for a mildly wrecked GTR. One that has kissed the guardrail enough to be salvaged. I will do this to it.

This I can say looks badass and i'm certainly not a fan of the whole Rocket Bunny widebody craze as of late. It's certainly not pretty.
tumblr_n9szoz4NUG1r70tn1o1_500.jpg

Love ya Regan ;)

...and for the record it's not that gtr owners are "bullish" about their cars, it's just that these cars simply attract people who put performance over brand prestige. For the money one can easily pick something a little swoopier, a little more blingy but they chose a gtr. I know a lot of owners who like myself enjoy the fact the car is relatively obscure. One can make the argument that the very same sentiment is shared by a few NSX owners as well.

As for me, I have a lot of respect for the GTR, it's historical significance (at least in Japan) and the amount of technology crammed into it. That said, it's a car designed by computer. It's aerodynamics are by computer. And, just about everything it does is by computer. Everything on it screams functional machine and don't mess with me. IMO, its target market has been tech savvy young people who have grown up with an IPod and iPhone to their head. It is the Shelby Cobra of my generation (baby boomers) though in greater numbers. My generation prefers sleek aircraft with the less efficient stick shift, simple switches and the ability to feel the road through our butts and hands. There is nothing wrong with either perspective and more likely than not we are all the sons and daughters of generations of gearheads.

What gets me is that the GTR body style is more aerodynamically efficient than our NSX. I guess Fernando on Saturday night live was right " It is better to look marvelous than to actually be marvelous."

Well... It's more efficient meaning it has a lower coefficient of drag BUT look at the total picture of how much of a fatass it is and there's no way when you take into account the frontal surface area that it has less drag. :) I was also impressed by big Bertha's C of D when I saw the natgeo documentary on it. It did get prettier to me once I saw how the shape worked as well, but it's still not a pretty car to my eyes.

You can have this:

12378555285_7b2debd829_z.jpg

Plus this:

2013-acura-ilx-hybrid-front-event.jpg

Plus this:

specimen-us-5000-bill.jpg

for the price of this 2015 black edition:

2014-Nissan-GT-R-front.jpg

For those GTR owners chiming in on the thread, I'm genuinely curious as to what your usage of the GTR looks like? Is it a weekend cruiser? A C&C talking piece? A track car? A daily driver? I actually don't mind the looks at all and find the car charming in its own way, but as I said previously, I haven't figured out how to fit it into my stable.

For those GTR owners chiming in on the thread, I'm genuinely curious as to what your usage of the GTR looks like? Is it a weekend cruiser? A C&C talking piece? A track car? A daily driver? I actually don't mind the looks at all and find the car charming in its own way, but as I said previously, I haven't figured out how to fit it into my stable.

My GT-R is my street driven toy car, 2012 Porsche Cayman R is my track car. The GT-R been a Turbo V6 front engine AWD is a good contrast to a MR NA with a 6 speed car like the Cayman.

The new C7 Z06 as TURBO2GO posted would be yet another interesting choice for a toy car that can do double duty, street toy as well as a track toy. It's on my "to drive list" once the first year gremlins are sorted out on the car.

Also waiting on the sidelines to hear more info about the Cayman GT-4, might be another interesting option for a track toy if it comes out of the factory with a 2950lbs curb weight with 385-400hp power rating.

Having options is great :cool:

Last edited:

Not entirely true. The GTR CdA is 6.08 sq ft and the 1991-2001 NSX is 6.13 and the 2002-2005 is 5.74. The NSX-R is even lower (don't know exactly what it is however).

So I have owned both. I have had the NSX forever, have my GTR for a year.
My perspective for these two cars are like this: The NSX (which I love) is like a gorgeous sexy woman but can't perform for sh!t in bed. The GTR (which I like) is just an average looking lady, but boy she can take your breath away in bed like no other women you have ever slept with.....case closed!!!
We all know, haters gonna hate no matter what the world has to offer! a perfect car never existed!!!
I love it when you go to the race track, the GTR has a bull's eye plaster on it! it is the car to beat! On the street, only cars with 600+ HP would dare to instigate!!! I have never had cars trying to race me when I am in my GTR, but it's a total opposite when I was in my NSX!

To the original post, yeah I will have to agree. I think the problem is there is just so many of them. They suffer from the "Corvette" effect. Of course this 100% depends on where you are from and what the scene is like. When I finally convinced a friend of mine to bring his stock white GTR to a cars and coffee, everyone flocked to it. There were a few in the area but his was the first to actually show up to the West Michigan Cars and Coffee. However, I see GTR's more than I see ZR1's, R8's, and Vipers combined here in Arizona. I see a GTR, take note of it, think to myself "fast car... looks nice.. meh" and dont think twice. However, I would probably lose it if I came across an R33 or R34. I just never see those. Don't get me wrong, I like the GTR's.. but unless its super blinged out (in a good way), I just kind of shrug at it.

Last edited:
I have never had cars trying to race me when I am in my GTR, but it's a total opposite when I was in my NSX!

It's because they think you're in the new Nissan Altima. :biggrin:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

However, I would probably lose it if I came across an R33 or R34. I just never see those.
They were RHD only i think ? Never seen a LHD, the few ones i have seen in Europe were directly imported from Japan or UK. That would explain the rarity, i believe there were like 2 R34's in France. Still, having seen one personally, it looks like they slapped a body kit on a family sedan (which the base Skyline was, at least during these years). Certainly not a beautiful car. But once seated inside you dont see that anymore ;)

Back