• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Having your timing belt / water pump changed? Make sure these gaskets are replaced

Your PSA for the day:

About half of the engines we rebuild that have had the timing belt / water pump replaced are missing the gaskets that are inserted into the timing belt covers from the factory. These rubber seals prevent dirt, water, and other contaminants from getting into the timing belt area. These are captivated by the covers, and cannot "fall out" unless the timing belt covers are removed. They do take a little finesse to install on older cars since the rubber tends shrink with age and seem to be often left out during this service.

The seals most often neglected are part numbers 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 on this diagram. As you can see, they are expensive little gaskets.
13sl00_e1401.gif

If you have your timing belt / water pump replaced, please make sure that your technician is installing or replacing these seals as they serve a vital function.

Cheers,
-- Chris

true... very very true..

When I had the timing belt changed by Larry B he found most of those gaskets missing. :mad: The dealer that had done the timing belt job 7 years prior could not be bothered to put them back in! Needless to say, there was a lot of dirt behind the timing belt covers. The dealer also could not be bothered with changing the pesky water pump, which was paid for by the owner.

I am surprised to hear you say that 1/2 of the engines you see have these gaskets missing. This is very shoddy work not to put them back! What's your take on this?

Thanks for starting this thread, since I am due for new timing belt replace in the near future.

Chris,

Could not agree more. As BobMc can attest to, I have seen this before. Not quite at the 50% mark at my end but certainly not one isolated case. This typically happens when the new timing cover is installed(with new water pump) and the gasket is not swapped or replaced on the new cover.

At this point I keep a full set of these in stock.

Regards,
LarryB

Add me to the list of missing seals. I think that the last place my car had the timing covers off was at Goodson Acura in Irving, TX.

When I did the timing belt and water pump two years ago the seals were gone from all three of my covers. I purchased a new seal for the large cover, like $86, and went to the salvage yard and got the upper cover seals from cutting the straight portion out of Honda Accord timing belt covers. Sounds strange, but they work just fine. Better than another $64 for the four seals.

Brad

Are these things that you can install without a lot of disassembly? I may go check mine if they are easy to get to.

Before I replaced my gaskets at 90k miles there was a very distinct smell. Like a cross between burning oil and rubber. This was evident on drives of 30minutes or longer. Since the service last year there has been no such scent. Chris, is this common on cars w/ old seals/gaskets?

Check the valve cover seals as well. My TB/WP was replaced about 4,000 miles ago. Had a strange (gummy) drip on my floor afterwards. 2 years goes by and I finally ask the dealership what that drip is. They report that a valve cover gasket needs replacing (and shoot me a horrible price).

I had another shop do the work (at halft the price) and find out the gaskets are old and brittle and gooped with silicone completely around the perimiter of the gasket. Then I realize that the TB/WP service includes replacing the valve cover gaskets! Needless to say, the dealership covered the new gasket replacment costs. No more drips by the way!

I wasn't pleased with the dealership, but at least they owned up to the error.

Back