• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Header coatings...what is the added-value of them?

I have a set of 1997+ OEM headers and am curious what, if any, added-value having them either heat-tape-wrapped or ceramic-coated would there be? My sense would be a reduction in heat, but aren't the heat shields for that? I am about to ask our good friend at Asteri to do some serious winter work to my beast and thought I would get educated first.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The '97+ headers are about as good as you can get.

As you said, there are heat shields on the "primaries," and the collectors back are double-walled. Any coatings or wrap wouldn't be as beneficial as on aftermarket headers.

The OEM one have thicker steal than aftermarket ones. Less noise, less heat. The gains on an OEM are not worth it IMHO. With aftermarket headers it's a different story.

I sprayed my NA2 headers (sans heat shields) with a DIY exhaust/header spray just to try and give some added heat reduction in the engine bay.

After a while there are certain sections/areas that seemed to flake off. I think I only did a single coat application though. I might retry it with multiple coats next time around.

Like everyone has said, probably not much benefit on the OEM versus aftermarket headers.

The OEM one have thicker steal than aftermarket ones. Less noise, less heat. The gains on an OEM are not worth it IMHO. With aftermarket headers it's a different story.

The gains on heating costing them isn't worth it? Or the actual OEM headers themselves aren't worth it? I'm about to pull the trigger on some headers, I've seen the Top Speed headers going for $400 and I can get a set of OEM for about $500, which would you guys suggest.. sorry OP didnt mean to thread jack but was also considering heat wrapping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coating an 97+ OEM header is not really worth it if you install the heatshields. If you have to dismount them to coat them the gains compared to the involved effort is more than questionable IMHO. If you have them off the car anyway why not but I guess it only works good on clean components.

It has been discussed several times before that 97+ OEM headers add some gains over 91-96 cars while a NA2 which already has those 97+ headers won't gain that much.

If you want stock quality and a quiet car go with the 97+ headers. If you like it louder go with an aftermarket setup. Not sure about the quality of $400 headers (carb legal?). A set of known good quality is around $1500 plus labor.

Coating an 97+ OEM header is not really worth it if you install the heatshields. If you have to dismount them to coat them the gains compared to the involved effort is more than questionable IMHO. If you have them off the car anyway why not but I guess it only works good on clean components.

It has been discussed several times before that 97+ OEM headers add some gains over 91-96 cars while a NA2 which already has those 97+ headers won't gain that much.

If you want stock quality and a quiet car go with the 97+ headers. If you like it louder go with an aftermarket setup. Not sure about the quality of $400 headers (carb legal?). A set of known good quality is around $1500 plus labor.

Hmm how about aftermarket gains vs OEM na2 stock headed gains? Any significant difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back