• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

helmets (again ...) based on Ayrton's design

I have run Shoei Troy Lee designs for the past decade. They are M rated. The main difference between M and SA is the SA has fire resistant materials. Also the SA has less view area. I am not overly concerned about the fire part, since all of the events that I run have great race rescue. I do have a camlock 5-pt, so escape is fairly easy, unless it is a drivers side impact. I probably will upgrade to a SA helmet after mine expires. As far as impact or strength difference, they are very similar, so those who are now scared that their cycle helmet is not as "safe" it just means that in a fire, it will not protect you as long. That is where the "liability" is raised by HPDE events. It is the "fire" risk.

Thank you... finally someone mentioned this.

Re: Fit and the professionals

I posted this question on my favorite racing forum and have not gotten one answer yet. Very strange. So I'll ask it here.

I've always been told and believe that helmet fit is supposed to be snug enough to require 2 hands to take it off. We were told that again at the SNELL Foundation lab just last week. And that's been pretty much my understanding about all helmets going back to football helmets in high school. <insert snicker and snide remarks now>

I don't think too much of it when I see football players take off their helmets with one hand like it's a baseball cap. Who cares about their heads? :rolleyes: They can just as easily be pro wrestlers as not. But now it seems I'm seeing F-1 drivers also slip their helmets off with one hand like it's nothing. Is everyone under 40 so cavalier?

Back