• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HELP 1996 NSX-T (potential PS issue)

Hello all! I’m am trying to purchase a 1996 nsx but it might have an issue with the PS...or something else. I test drove the car and noticed that the car is centered when the steering wheel is titled to the right a little. Also, when driving, it feels like it’s harder to turn right vs. turning left (feels like no PS). Could this be just an alignment issue? Or a steering rack issue?

The off center steering wheel could be as simple as somebody taking the steering wheel off and re installing it one spline off on the column. Minor corrections to the steering wheel angle are to be made by adjusting the tie rods with the wheels in the nominal straight ahead position rather than repositioning the steering wheel on the splines (that is what the manual says - still trying to wrap my head around that because that would alter alignment). If the steering components or suspension components have been damaged / bent that stuff could be the reason for both the steering wheel position problem and a steering response problem. If you are going down a straight section of road and you loosen your grip on the steering wheel did the car track straight or did it veer? If it doesn't track straight you definitely have a problem.

Is the EPS warning light working and is it lit when the car is running (which indicates a problem)? If the EPS light is operational and not lit, it is unlikely that there is a problem with the EPS system. A difference between steering left versus right could be due to a significant alignment problem. It is also possible that there might be mechanical damage to the rack which would not necessarily generate an error code for the EPS system.

I would be inclined to have a pre purchase inspection done with a focus on the front end including an alignment check.

Last edited:
I have logged in but not sure where to go to if i want to post a question? Its probably easy but i just cant see it. I have a question about the EPS on a 1995 Honda NSXT. I am in Australia.

Back