• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! 91 NSX Dashboard doesn't Light up and headlights dont flip!

I just had an Alarm installed in my 91 NSX and something touched metal and sparked during the install, now my gauge cluster does not light up and the headlights just stay up and do not flip closed. I checked all the fuses but none are blown. I think a relay might have blown but I don't know which one. Help me please!

Check your dimmer switch. You might need a new one. Mine broke and the samething happened to me. Look in the service manual and it has a troubleshooting chart. You can download the manual if you don't have it using the Nsxprime search. I hot wired mine because I didn't want to pay 200 hundred something for the switch.

I just had an Alarm installed in my 91 NSX and something touched metal and sparked during the install, now my gauge cluster does not light up and the headlights just stay up and do not flip closed. I checked all the fuses but none are blown. I think a relay might have blown but I don't know which one. Help me please!

If the installer messed it up then it's on them to fix it or pay for the repair. Get then to write a letter saying they are responsible and take it to the dealer.

I'm afraid macready's advice seems to be the most likely scenario now. There is one relay you can check and it's in the under hood fuse box. That is the taillight relay which supplies the retractor switch/dimmer unit. Usually you will pop that fuse #38 that Brian was referring to and not the relay.

The installer is my Brother:frown:
LOL..sorry if it's not as funny as I think it is, but having read this leading up to the point where I was about to see you going after the dealer for this, a family member pops up! Just shocked me a bit. If it was me I would normally offer to pay for repairs to compensate, but maybe you can just get him to buy dinner:)

I'm afraid macready's advice seems to be the most likely scenario now. There is one relay you can check and it's in the under hood fuse box. That is the taillight relay which supplies the retractor switch/dimmer unit. Usually you will pop that fuse #38 that Brian was referring to and not the relay.

I think Macready was right! I tested the switch as per his instructions and it leads me to believe that the switch is bad. I just ordered one.

Interesting, I just removed the ugly indiglo gauges the last owner had installed in the car tonight and now I have the same problem!

It's too late for me to mess with it anymore tonight, but I can see that the indiglo gauge wiring goes into a bundled hell under the dash. Is it possible that the indiglo kit wiring splice is simply by-passing the dimmer? But, why would that also affect my headlights? God don't tell me I messed up the dimmer switch by just disconnecting the dumb indiglo setup :mad:

Thoughts?

open ended statement: 1st step Any Time you work with electronics/electricity in any scenario....Disconnect All power sources until work is complete (unless needed during troubleshooting/maintenance process). Sometimes a hard lesson learned...

I'd go back through what was laready suggested for starters....

Good point, that's what I like about having a kill switch!

For my situation so far, I found that I had 2 frayed wires going to dimmer/headlight flip unit on the dash. Basically, someone had just tried to tap into 2 wires with a cheap wire splice-clip(don't know what it's officially called), and then changed their mind, leaving the two wires partially exposed and damaged.

Now, I have a bloody mess trying to find the blk/red gauge light wiring. The Viper alarm and relays were just in a horribile wad. The previous owner appears to have had a very poor electronics installer.

I may take some pics and post them when I get the chance.

Cheers

open ended statement: 1st step Any Time you work with electronics/electricity in any scenario....Disconnect All power sources until work is complete (unless needed during troubleshooting/maintenance process). Sometimes a hard lesson learned...

I'd go back through what was laready suggested for starters....

Ok, got lights again!

With the helpful advice of Fifthearth, I got down and dirty with the service manual and tested the dimmer controller. Resistance checked out ok. Tested the 10-P plug going to the controller when the car was running and got 14V. When I plugged the unit back together and wiggled the connection, everything came back to light! After a lot of cursing and wiggling and prayer, I slowly put everything back together, making sure lights still worked as I went. Sometimes it would cut back off, and again-more wiggling. TCS switch now works too! But, I had to wiggle that connector also when I was reassembling everything.

It seems in my case that the green plastic connectors were a little loose to the circuitboard to some degree and to eachother.

I test drove the car around the block on bumpy side-streets to make sure everything was solid. No problem. Let's hope it stays that way from now on!

Thanks PJ!
Cheers

Back