• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! 96 nsx differential problem during short gear/final drive upgrade

Help!I have my car at the shop ( Zahntech in Redmond WA) with the transmission open....and the Japanese short gears and I was just informed that the gears/final drive I ordered from A.S. Motorsports are noncompatible with the 96 NSX 5sp transmission/differential.What are my options going forward?? Aftermarket LSD? 91-94 OEM LSD swap? Short gears only and no final drive change? Just give up?Your help and wisdom are appreciated!

pm LarryB

I see you have the gearing set up that I am shooting for.....did you have this issue, what was your experience? Is LarryB the same as Larry Bastanza?

I hand Larry my car, some money, a few old editions of penthouse and car comes out perfect.:biggrin: yes Bastanza....there are some other parts you need to make it work in the 96

Thanks,

I have sent a PM to LarryB, and look forward to talking with a man who shares a nostalgic appreciation of Mr. Guccione's creative work .

Indeed, I related to him more than Hef:wink:

96 shortgear and final drive solution

I have my 96 NSX back with the short gears and NSX R final drive installed. John at Zahntech in Redmond WA swapped out my 96 differential for a low miles used 1992 unit that was compatible with the NSXR final drive gear. Love the new feeling during acceleration! Thanks John!
Thanks to all of those who gave advice and helped with this phase of the project! Thanks as well to Adnan at AS -Motorsports....will be coming back for more parts soon for phase 2...phase 3...

I have my 96 NSX back with the short gears and NSX R final drive installed. John at Zahntech in Redmond WA swapped out my 96 differential for a low miles used 1992 unit that was compatible with the NSXR final drive gear. Love the new feeling during acceleration! Thanks John!
Thanks to all of those who gave advice and helped with this phase of the project! Thanks as well to Adnan at AS -Motorsports....will be coming back for more parts soon for phase 2...phase 3...
How is the acceleration point at 2nd gear exiting a 30 mph turn? I really would love to get rid of the usdm dog gears but after adding a ctsc it improved a lot. Just not while turning at 30 mph. It's either keep it in first at damn near redline, or turn in second at 3500 rpm...

How is the acceleration point at 2nd gear exiting a 30 mph turn? I really would love to get rid of the usdm dog gears but after adding a ctsc it improved a lot. Just not while turning at 30 mph. It's either keep it in first at damn near redline, or turn in second at 3500 rpm...

In my opinion the short gears improve all around driving given our roads and speed limits here in the states. The ctsc doesn't detract or add to it really. Where the ctsc vs NA starts to matter is the final drive. Some folks, like myself, prefer the NSX R 4.23 final drive on an NA car but like the stock final on a CTSC. $0.02

Back