• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Help Finding a Nice NSX

Been researching for about 3 months, about ready to buy. Would like a nice original car that has been meticulously maintained. Prefer red/tan but red/black is OK. I'm 62 about to retire for the second time with little mechanical ability. Will find a local reputable shop to maintain the car for me. Any help would be appreciated. Been driving German cars, mostly BMWs, for over 30 years. Like the NSX since it is about the only affordable exotic with great looks. Thanks very much.

There are certainly lots to choose from in the red/tan red/black color combo, so you may want to focus your search a bit on year & price range. There are literally FLOODS of posts on this topic in this forum so you may want to poke through them a bit to get an idea. The rough and dirty though is:

pop-ups vs non-popups (2002+ only)
5 speed vs 6 speed (1997+ only)
Coupe (1991-1994) vs T-Top (1995+) (with a few very rare exceptions)

As far as the high end red/tans on the market, there are two notable ones that I can think of:

2000 Red/Tan - has been listed for a few months, so perhaps the seller is ready to deal. Don't know anything about the seller
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=328030902

2005 red/tan - this was owned by Rob4092xx and is well known in the community. It was sold to purchase a nice little Ferrari (details here).

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&&listingId=330666840

Good luck in your hunt. Stop in to some of the DC area cars & coffees, a number of NSX owners haunt them and we are pretty much willing to talk your ear off about anything and everything NSX related.

Thanks for your encouragement. I will try to find some local NSX owners to help me along. I have never seen an NSX in Hagerstown, where I live or in Frederick, where I work. Actually, this is why I want to buy one. I would like to have a car that isn't seen every day. Am I looking at $50K+ for a nice NSX? If this is the case, I may have to go to my 2nd choice, a nice 997 Porsche as 2005-2008 models are available in the mid $40K's.

Last edited:
Welcome and look in the classifieds here on prime, lots of new good one appear almost daily.

Thanks for your encouragement. I will try to find some local NSX owners to help me along. I have never seen an NSX in Hagerstown, where I live or in Frederick, where I work. Actually, this is why I want to buy one. I would like to have a car that isn't seen every day. Am I looking at $50K+ for a nice NSX? If this is the case, I may have to go to my 2nd choice, a nice 997 Porsche as 2005-2008 models are available in the mid $40K's.

You can find a nice older (pre-02) NSX in the 40s. As previously mentioned, look in the classifieds on here, and there are some threads with info on currently for sale NSXs in this forum. Good luck.

Depending on what you decide you want you can certainly find an older coupe (91-95) for far below 50k. I bought a clean 91 two years ago for $28,500 and it only had 50k miles on it, had the timing belt done and only needed a few minor things taken care of. Since then i have opted to do a bunch of work on the car but it was all optional. So, as much as I would like to think my car is worth $40-50k there is just no way I would even get close to that if i chose to sell it. You have a big advantage also if you are paying with cash. Good luck.

The two that NSX197 sent you look like nice cars and the model years 97-01 are very desirable for collectors, since the production numbers were low and they have both the classic flap up headlights (you dont see those any more are cars) and the larger 3.2 motor with all the upgrades that came in 1997+. If you dont care about the flap up lights, then the 2002-05 cars are great buys too and sill have the same 3.2 engine and performance found in the 97+ cars etc. With that said, what is your price range since you will pay more for those 97-01 and 02-2005 cars? The original 1991-96 are awesome cars too, and you can find some real bargains out there but super clean cars are getting much harder to find. As long as the car is clean and well care for all NSX's are great!

Last edited:
mine isn't red, ut it is for sale :) see the link in my sig

I just found, and bought a beautiful red/tan 39,000 miles targa down near Norfolk last week Drove home without incident 750 miles to Detroit area

Found it on craigslist, made a deal over the phone, bought a plane ticket from Detroit to Norfolk... and almost sprained my arm reaching for my wallet when the owner picked me up in the car at the airport!!!

I am very pleased and feel very fortunate to have found the car and been able to act right away.

I almost bought a black 57,000 mile 1995 in Mo.. PM me and I'll give you the guys phone number. I think it was a nice car from the pics and desc.

good luck on your search

Welcome to Prime! As others have said, there is something of a variety among the NSX variants, but if you are just looking for a nice example of a red NSX without regard to engine or transmission, then you can find what you're looking for for about $30,000. A fully maintained original 91 to 94 red NSX in excellent condition will go for $25,000 to $35,000, depending on mileage, condition, etc. Note these cars all will have mostly black interiors and all black roofs.

The next step up is a 95 or 96 NSX-T, which is the T-top version of the NSX. A nice red car in this range will go for about $35,000. The typical range here is $30,000 to $40,000. These cars will have all matching red roofs.

After that, you are looking at more rare cars and the price will go up accordingly. A nice 97 to 2001 NSX-T will go for around $45,000, with the range being $40,000 to $50,000. These cars have the bigger engine (3.2 L) and the 6-speed trans, if that is important to you.

Finally, you have the "facelift" NSX-T cars of years 2002 to 2005. These cars are mechanically the same as the 97-01, but have fixed headlights and a slightly revised body. A nice car from this range will go for about $60,000, with the typical range being $55,000 to $65,000.

From your posts, it seems a red/tan 95 or 96 NSX-T would be the best solution for you. There usually are severall good examples for sale in the marketplace. Unless all the maintenence is up to date, plan on spending $2,000 to $5,000 to get any NSX you buy perfect. While they are Hondas and very reliable, they are still exotic cars and require maintenence. Most owners defer some of this work.

Back